Onan Generator Service Milestones

Dr4Film

I had my Cummins Onan 7.5K Generator last serviced back in 2017 at the shop in Orlando. Back then they said that I was getting close to the 1000 hour service. Well it is now sitting at 1475 hours and I still haven't taken the time to make an appointment and have it done.

How many members have stuck strictly to the recommended service intervals as the 1000 hours service is fairly expensive? They basically tear down the unit and replace everything that is worn, needs to be replaced or should be replaced, etc.

What have others done?

I don't know if you insist of someone else doing it for you but if your gen is on a slide, everything is fairly easy to do and parts are/were available and not unreasonable. The only thing I found definitely needing replacement were the brushes and collector. And that was at 3500 hours. Everything else was preventative and would have gone longer, except the usual oil and filters. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the feedback, Ivan.

Back in 2017 prior to our western National Park Tour while spending winter at our Florida home, the generator decided to run only 4 minutes and 55 seconds before shutting down. I read the error code which stated that my temperature sensor had failed (code 24). So that's when I made the appointment at the Orlando Cummins/Onan shop for repair and service. It's been running fine ever since then.

I will continue to do the preventative maintenance until it has a LOT more hours on it before I have them do the tear-down and thorough service.

Always good idea to follow maintenance schedule to at least check things, there isn't anything that most of us don't do already, nothing requiring even partial disassembly until 800 hours to check valve lash and 1500 hours to replace a belt. With exception of cleaning spark arrestor once a year.  Seriously, does anyone take the box apart once a year to blow out the exhaust port? Especially with no slideout? Seriously doubt it. BTW, and that is just my observation, my belt was still looking good at 3000+ hours and I now carry it as an emergency spare along with a new one, just in case. Not that hard to change anywhere. I check things close to the schedule but don't necessarily replace them just because they say so, until I feel that it is time. 3900 hours later still running fine. 12.5kW with Isuzu engine.

• 1 year later...