Ceiling lights

Steven P

The PO installed 3 lights w 12V halogen puck lights in place of the fluorescent ones.  They have 2 switches and when on, they are very dim.  This is actually nice when night driving and the family moves around bc it's not too bright.  However, in trying to change to LEDs, the LEDS won't work.  I'm assuming bc the voltage is too low.  Before I pull these down and look further I thought I'd see if anyone has ran into something like this before.  I've looked for a dimmer, but no luck yet.  I really don't need the bright light, but I do want LEDS. The one set of bright lights is for comparison and is on a separate switch.  

20210328_114916.jpg

20210328_114922.jpg

20210328_114932.jpg

As Bill said LED's are polarity sensitive. They also require very clean grounds. 

Thanks, I'll see what I can find.  I'm thinking the voltage is low somewhere.  I've found some interesting wiring stuff here and there from the PO.  

Halogen are normally bright, that is there intended purpose. I think you probably have them wired in series and they are lowering the voltage. I replaced all of my interior lights with LED's. Cost was about $4.00 a fixture. My front 3 in the living area are switched so I can turn off half the fixture. Still plenty bright. I am going to do a paper on how I did it as soon as I find the pictures. No I did not use strip lights, 

• Like 1

StevenP,

If I were you, I would go on AMAZON and look for some 12v LED surface mount lights and remove those puck light housings.  I have not looked for exactly what you are relamping, but I thought I saw some 3" 12v surface mount lights that would work better than relamping the current housings.

something like this....

https://www.amazon.com/Surface-Interior-Exterior-Waterproof-Trailer/dp/B07FT2L8TQ/ref=sr_1_19?crid=6VK90DHP9946&dchild=1&keywords=12v+led+surface+mount+light&qid=1616968049&sprefix=12v+LED+surface%2Caps%2C190&sr=8-19

Edited by Cubflyer
  • Thanks 1

I went on Amazon and purchased these bulbs to replace all 12 of the halogen puck bulbs.  I like how they turned out in the one light and I do like the current light setups.  I thought about putting new puck lights in, but if I can use the existing ones, I'd prefer to do that. I think my next steps will be to check volts at the switches and try to trace grounds. I'll pull the lights down too.  There was a bad connection in the bedroom lighting causing issues.  Maybe this will be similar. Thank you all. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C8G7PUG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_3PGC5D4R665G86CNMAH3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Steve 
I notice two paragraphs of disclaimers on the Amazon page you referenced that would keep me from buying these bulbs. I think the manufacture knows they are trouble.
"

• [Note tip]: Size: 9mm*35mm, Please note that this bulb is a little larger than a traditional halogen bulb. Please refer to the second picture for details. This bulb ONLY used for 12 volts(AC12V and DC12V) lighting appliance.Non-dimmable, please don't use them with dimmer or unstable 12 volts, or the bulbs will flicker or make noise.
  • [Technical Features]: Watts: 1.5W LED bulb Equivalent to 10W T3 Halogen Bulb, Volts: AC/DC 12V, Warm White 3000K. If you use this bulb to replace the halogen lamp and the bulb are blinking (flickering) after installtion; there are two way to aviod flickering: 1. Change your transformer to LED driver; 2. Keep one halogen lamp it your light system, don't all install led."

Steven P,

These are the replacement "bulbs" that I used in my 'down' lights around my coach by the windows..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EDIGCY8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They originally were the halogen bulbs like yours but had a reflector behind it that the bulb style you linked would not fit, I removed the reflector and hot glued the connector into the housing, plugged in these flat lights and remounted, installed the cover with the lens... worked great, looks good, only negative is they do not dim... but I do not care...

Ken

Edited by Cubflyer

2 hours ago, cpat_39 said:

Steve 
I notice two paragraphs of disclaimers on the Amazon page you referenced that would keep me from buying these bulbs. I think the manufacture knows they are trouble.
"

• [Note tip]: Size: 9mm*35mm, Please note that this bulb is a little larger than a traditional halogen bulb. Please refer to the second picture for details. This bulb ONLY used for 12 volts(AC12V and DC12V) lighting appliance.Non-dimmable, please don't use them with dimmer or unstable 12 volts, or the bulbs will flicker or make noise.
  • [Technical Features]: Watts: 1.5W LED bulb Equivalent to 10W T3 Halogen Bulb, Volts: AC/DC 12V, Warm White 3000K. If you use this bulb to replace the halogen lamp and the bulb are blinking (flickering) after installtion; there are two way to aviod flickering: 1. Change your transformer to LED driver; 2. Keep one halogen lamp it your light system, don't all install led."

I read those and figured for the price and the return if I didn't like them, I'd give them a shot.  So far the 3 in the one fixture work great.  I looked at M4LED but they are so much more expensive.  

1 hour ago, Cubflyer said:

Steven P,

These are the replacement "bulbs" that I used in my 'down' lights around my coach by the windows..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EDIGCY8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They originally were the halogen bulbs like yours but had a reflector behind it that the bulb style you linked would not fit, I removed the reflector and hot glued the connector into the housing, plugged in these flat lights and remounted, installed the cover with the lens... worked great, looks good, only negative is they do not dim... but I do not care...

Ken

I have similar ones in puck lights under my cabinets and they work ok but some flicker and have given me trouble.  Maybe yours are a better brand.  

Thank you both.  

Steven

16 hours ago, just_john1 said:

Halogen are normally bright, that is there intended purpose. I think you probably have them wired in series and they are lowering the voltage. I replaced all of my interior lights with LED's. Cost was about $4.00 a fixture. My front 3 in the living area are switched so I can turn off half the fixture. Still plenty bright. I am going to do a paper on how I did it as soon as I find the pictures. No I did not use strip lights, 

I was just getting ready to suggest this.

Also, polarity could be an issue, though many modern LED fixtures have internal circuitry that allows them to work regardless of polarity, as well as over a wide voltage range.  Many are not dimmable though.

As David said, many are not dimmable.  Internal voltage regulation circuitry causes them to dim only slightly before beginning to flicker and then turning completely off.

• Thanks 1

Got an update.  I pulled the dash switch out today and see 2 blue and 1 red wire.  The bottom blue wire as 13v and red and top blue have 0. With the switch on, I see 7v at bottom blue and red wire.  Top blue keeps zero.  I looked for a fuse but no luck yet.  Seems like maybe the top blue should have 12V like the bottom?  I have not pulled any lights down yet. 

20210403_182057.jpg