ISL coolant

This is a complicated topic. Most owners have gone to OAT coolants and away from SCA. 

I changed over in 2013. The easiest way to explain what to use is this video, a little long but watch the whole thing because it will inform you of importance of Diesel Coolant. 

Skipper.

Just changed mine yesterday, after going 12 years since the last time I changed 'er out....yikes!  I originally had the green stuff in there from the factory. When I went to test it for SCA the sample I drew came out rusted in color and I decided it was time to drain, clean, flush and change it over to OAT extended coolant from Cummins.

Took me the better part of 6 hours by myself but the Cummins Restore Plus did an excellent job of removing all of the contaminants that were in there.  When I first added the Restore Plus, after I had drained the brown rusted coolant, then took the coach out for a 90 minute run as recommended by Cummins, the fluid came out black when I drained the Restore Plus out of the lower hose. Added tap water 5 more times with a final rinse of distilled water until the color was almost clear. 

I then added 8 jugs of OAT extended coolant premix, as recommended again by Cummins, and  now no more adding DCA, just testing and topping up the coolant as required.  Long job, but worth it.

Cummins has excellent information on their website for how to do this.  It is not necessary to get the whole system purged of the green ethylene glycol that was originally in there, even though I think I came close, as they tell you that you can have a certain percentage of the other coolant in there without worry when adding the  red stuff (OAT extended), as long as they are both ethylene glycol or propylene glycol based.

The plastic type of OEM coolant recovery tank that Monaco used is almost impossible to see coolant levels. I use a clean dipstick when checking but others have swapped out their OEM plastic tank for a more durable steel tank. That will be in my future as well.

Rusted coolant sample.jpg

Color of new coolant means nothing these days!

The original coolant in my 08' was lime green. First change I did, new HD diesel coolant w/ SCA was purple.

Next change, I used extended life HD diesel coolant w/ SCA, coolant is red.

I stand corrected, I was under the impression the coolant color was so that you used the right product for the right application.  Diff products and mixtures for diff engines and mixtures. Never too old to learn. That's what I love about this forum.  

On 5/6/2021 at 8:19 AM, guy_ethier said:

The plastic type of OEM coolant recovery tank that Monaco used is almost impossible to see coolant levels. I use a clean dipstick when checking but others have swapped out their OEM plastic tank for a more durable steel tank. That will be in my future as well.

Guy,

I installed a steel surge tank and a new radiator on our ' 06 HR Endeavor in 2016. Both items came from Source Engineering. One very nice feature of the surge tank is that it has a sight glass that allows me to check the coolant level without removing the cap. 

Roger
2006 HR Endeavor PDQ

Roger.

Did you do the recovery tank install yourself and, if you did, was it pretty straightforward or did you have to modify it a bit?  I would love to see some pics of your install and any problems/ adjustments you had to make. Also, what price did the new coolant tank set you back?

Thanks☺️

2 hours ago, guy_ethier said:

Roger.

Did you do the recovery tank install yourself and, if you did, was it pretty straightforward or did you have to modify it a bit?  I would love to see some pics of your install and any problems/ adjustments you had to make. Also, what price did the new coolant tank set you back?

Thanks☺️

Guy,

I could have changed it out myself, but the major job was the radiator replacement. The shop already had the back panels out for the radiator, so changing the tank was especially easy. As I recall, the price was somewhere around $350--not bad for something you won't have to worry about agagin.

Roger
2006 Endeavor PDQ