One of my Dometic ac’s only lasted 33 months

Guest Hinton8888

Guest Hinton8888

I totally floored that my one of my units only lasted 33 months and was not run that much . I called Dometic and they were Like you should have bought an extended warranty.  My old units lasted for 23 years so I said why would I waste money.  I called the Dometic U.S.A. ceo in Elkhart with no return call.   How long is everyone getting out of new units.  This unit was a 15k A/C only. I tried to keep it simple.  It appears the issue is a coolant leak. The compressor starts     Steve 1996 exec 

Ours is going on 4 years now. But again not a whole lot of use. Our OEM Carrier AC heat pump combo still working after 13 years. 

13 hours ago, Hinton8888 said:

I totally floored that my one of my units only lasted 33 months and was not run that much . I called Dometic and they were Like you should have bought an extended warranty.  My old units lasted for 23 years so I said why would I waste money.  I called the Dometic U.S.A. ceo in Elkhart with no return call.   How long is everyone getting out of new units.  This unit was a 15k A/C only. I tried to keep it simple.  It appears the issue is a coolant leak. The compressor starts     Steve 1996 exec 

We had a brand new one fail within a week on our Cedar Creek Champagne. When the engineer examined it he noticed that a bracket had been omitted on a long pipe between the compressor and condenser. He stated that he had replaced several new units suffering from the same manufacturing defect.

Guest Hinton8888

Peter N you said an engineer looked at you A/C. Where did they come from to look at it. Thanks steve

I replaced the factory installed Dometic Low Profile Penguin AC/HP's with new ones in 2009/10. Coach was put in service 9/2001

Those were both replaced the winter of 2018/19 while in Florida with new Dometic Low Profile Penguin II's AC/HP. Those are still going strong.

We use the AC's a lot both when traveling 6 months and while the coach sits in Florida for the other 6 months. I use it daily even while it sits hooked up under our winter home. It's my man cave plus I am always doing small repairs and upgrades during the winter.

On 5/29/2021 at 1:46 PM, Hinton8888 said:

Peter N you said an engineer looked at you A/C. Where did they come from to look at it. Thanks steve

The selling dealer came out and replaced the A/C unit. According to him, the missing bracket was due to a change of schematics. Apparently units with heat pumps are not affected as the pipe runs are shorter and don’t vibrate to the same extent.

Edited by hitechpete
Punctuation