Power Steering Jerky and Noisy?

On first start up of the day on my ‘02 Windsor 40 my power steering is a little jerky in both directions and also has a what I’m calling a hydraulic hissing when turning the wheel in either direction. Both get much better after warming up from driving. I plan on starting with changing the fluid and filters in the fluid reservoir. Any particular things I can check or have checked out?

Edited by tmw188

Yes, check the steering box itself to see whether you have a Sheppard box (like what was on my 02 Windsor) or a TRW box.

If it is a Sheppard with a lot of slop I suggest having it changed out to the TRW.

The contact person to accomplish that at a discounted rate is Brent located at the Weller Main plant in Michigan. The Sheppard will be returned for a core charge credit.

I’m finding that many experience this and is somewhat common and some have had success with fluid and filters change, and some no so much. I have the filters but here is my question, with it being the old Sheppard unit would it present this noise, and if I would have to change the steering pump soon after changing the fluid will I again have to change that fluid?

Edited by tmw188

I noticed while doing a audio/video of my steering box hissing hydraulic noise, that the Sheppard unit has a label on it that may tell me it’s not original? The part number label doesn’t appear to be 20 yrs old. Any opinions?

3CF031F5-C147-45A1-B96C-1D54CDD6D326.png

Edited by tmw188

I've looked at the service manual and they do list having air in the system as a problem that might account for noise and jerky motion.  Not sure how to purge air.

I would complete drain the the hyd reservoir tank and see if you see any signs of metal.  I know the instructions don't do this, only enough to change filters, but any heavy contamination would be in the bottom captured by a small sump where the fluid returns.  Some may be in the filters but by design anything of size weight wold be trapped. I'd cut the lower filter open since it would have most of the contamination. 

If you decide to change the pump afterwards and don't see any real signs of a pump failure (which you would have seen while changing fluid) I wouldn't worry about changing the fluid since it is continually being filtered on the return side.  

Good suggestions. What manual the Monaco manual? I have it in for state safety Insp at a large reputable truck ctr and I gave them the video and asked them to look at it and give me their opinion. They will experience it when they start it and bring into their shop. My plan is to do the fluid and filter change when I get it back. I have the filters and fluid. I have a 12v bidirectional pump to draw down the reservoir that I’ve used on changing oil in my boats thru the yrs that will draw that down pretty easy. What did you think of the label on the steering box? Do you think that’s original, it has Monaco on the label?

Edited by tmw188