2009 Scepter/Camelot Front Visors Stopped Working

Both of them. For the DS DPDT switch the 2 output wires have 12V with switch up and reverse polarity with switch down. How are these wires routed to the visor?. There are an additional 2 switch lugs for the dash lights which work.

Are there any wiring diagrams or other suggestions?

I haven’t checked the PS visor voltage/wiring which is more complicated with 2 switches and 2 relays labeled as PASS VISOR related. I did swap out the relays with no change.

2009 Septer 42’

Every fuse with ignition off that has power is good, besides the switch has power. I discounted a second fuse but perhaps the switch activates a relay and there is another fuse - The 2 relays are labeled pass visor but they could be more than that - More to check. 

Since neither visor works my mind set is something common...

I have had a lot of issues with the visor motors, but never both failing at the same time.  I cannot find a replacement tube motor that fits without manipulation of some sort.  I did manage to get them working again by disassembly and reassembly carefully.   Sometimes, it takes a quick down then up a few times to retract them.  I hope you have 12 volts at the visor with the ignition on, at least then you know the problem is then in the tube motor.  Removing the visor is easy as each is held with 4 screws and the wire is easy to access under the visor.   The end cap holding the tube motor is held with two screws on the visor itself.  It then just slides out.  Good luck.

At the last Perry Convention, a fellow conventioneer swapped out his visor/blinds for MCDs and gave me his old visors.   This will keep me going for a few years. 

• 1 year later...

I’m having issue with my passenger side visor going down the driver side works fine.  The visor goes up, but when i press the down switch from the driver seat or passenger seat the visor wont retract.  I changed the switch at the passengers seat but the visor still only works in up position.  Should i be checking somewhere else?

A03BF9AC-652C-411B-9867-BCE8E880B2BA.jpeg

E40A8B6D-D040-4303-B85B-40E771CB6E78.jpeg

• Tom Cherry changed the title to 2009 Scepter/Camelot Front Visors Stopped Working
50 minutes ago, Darren A. said:

I’m having issue with my passenger side visor going down the driver side works fine.  The visor goes up, but when i press the down switch from the driver seat or passenger seat the visor wont retract.  I changed the switch at the passengers seat but the visor still only works in up position.  Should i be checking somewhere else?

First, Please update your profile and add a Signature....similar to mine.  2004 Navigator 43 PBQ.  That helps folks understand what you have. 

OK.  We don't have your exact set of prints in the file.  Look in your Manual at the Prints Section.  The only ones we have are for the Dynasty and your switches, as best I can tell, are totally different.  You did not show a picture of the back of the switch.  Are there six terminals or contacts on the back or only THREE?  This is CRITICAL to understand how the motor and the switches work.  Do that.

Find the print for the Circuit in your manual It may be labeled as Passenger Consoles or Driver's Console and will show the switches.  Copy that on a scanner and post it as a update.

Since I don't know exactly how the motor gets power or reverses, then It would be futile to have you start testing.  Odds are....from what you said....it is NOT a switch problem.  BOTH work one way.  BOTH do NOT work the other.  So, you need to be working on the visor or the wiring to the MOTOR....

The print will help. I personally would stick my head up under the shade with a flashlight and find the wiring going to the motor.  If there are only TWO wires to the motor, then I suspect that the switch has 6 terminals.  If there are three or more or whatever, then without the print....I can't trouble shoot it.  You WILL need a Volt Meter or test light...preferably a volt ohm meter (VOM) and know how to use it.  That is all I can do for now.  If there are others that have the prints or know how it works, then they can jump in.  I do know that the Dynasty prints and switches are NOT the same....so that is all I have..

57 minutes ago, Darren A. said:

The motor has two wires the switch on the passenger side has 3 terminals.  Driver side appears to have six based on illustration.  

8000F2A3-6150-4C28-B9F6-9008269A6567.png

27220A3A-9D88-4440-A8F2-A6CC9EAEC893.png

The front run bay

36875D5B-9D6C-4E50-905E-5D991B87CA85.png

WHOA.....I admit my eyes are good....but I can't read all that.  I THINK, though, you sent the right INFO.  The problem is NOT the SWITCH.  It is the RELAY that is causing the problem. Now, what I do NOT know, is whether there is a separate relay for each side.  This is the way it works....elementary.

The Three pole switch.  It has POWER coming into it.  When you push it ONE WAY....say UP.......that makes the circuit between the center (Power always) Contact and one of the outside wires.  That then sends the signal to the Visor Up Relay.  I THINK that maybe the light comes on when it does that....that would be the SIGNAL light.  That relay then sends power to the motor.  The motor has two terminals....call the A and B.  Hypothetically, to get the shade to retract or go UP....you put a POSITIVE 12 VDC to Terminal A and the Ground to Terminal B.  A DC motor will reverse direction when you switch or change polarity.  NOW....to get it DOWN....the OTHER relay takes over.  Pushing the switch the OTHER way....that sends a Signal to the Visor DOWN relay.  Then the relay sends Positive 12 VDC to Terminal B and the Ground to Terminal A....so it runs the other direction.  This is done frequently on electric motor slides.  I can't blow up the prints well enough to get the resolution on the six wires on the Driver's side.

I have talked to our resident "Electronic Guru" or one of them.  He will chime in later tonight.....

Sorry I could not be of more help....but the Dynasty and UP Printed Circuit Boards in the FRB and the RRB are a mystery....I can do a little....but I am more familiar with the hard wired and replaceable relays....  I will text our expert a "redneck fix" and depending on your skill set....let him consider and contact you or post....

Good Luck....

5 hours ago, Darren A. said:

Darren, likely the problem is the shade down relay on PCB board 11 in the front run bay.  I'm not sure if that relay is plugged in or soldered to the board.  See if the shade down led lights on the circuit board when you press shade down.  If it doesn't the relay is bad.  If it does you might have a bad wire connection.  See if the shade motor is getting power if it does, the motor or connection is bad.

Screenshot_20220901-172609.png

Screenshot_20220901-175333.png

To troubleshoot the PS visor down relay, press the PS visor down switch and see if LEDs D17 and D18 light.  If both light, the switch and visor down relay are working.  Check for voltage at the visor connection.

If both LEDs don't light, there is a wiring problem between the switch and the board.

If LED D17 lights but D18 doesn't, relay K5 on the circuit board is bad.

LED lights on these boards make it easy to troubleshoot them.

Screenshot_20220901-205029.png