Jump to content

Polar Bear Tour??


Recommended Posts

My wife has had seeing a polar bear on her bucket list for years and every now and then brings it up. I am 75 and she is 68 so if we are going to do one of the tours we need to start making plans. I know some of the older members here have been on one of the tours and would be interested in your comments about your experience.

Another thing that has always stopped us from making the tour is our dog. Once the tour reaches Thompson, MB the group goes by either air or train to Churchill for about 4 days. That is where the problem with the dog comes into play. I would be very interested in hearing from members who took their dog as far as Thompson and put them in one of the kennels there for the time they were gone to Churchill. I know each dog is different but mainly concerned about the attituded and care from the kennels there. I have not reached out to any of the tour companies yet and just started doing research. Maybe the campground there offer a service for those that leave their dog behind. If that kind of service exists would be interested in hearing about it.

We are looking at October 2022 at this stage and hoping the Canadian border will be open by then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bob, look up Rover.com

Their dog sitters are local people that sit dogs in their homes. You can meet the sitter beforehand, look at their sitting situation, and then leave your dog with a sitter who will send you updates and pictures of the dog while you're gone. We have used them several times with confidence.

-jamie

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, OhReally said:

Bob, look up Rover.com

Their dog sitters are local people that sit dogs in their homes. You can meet the sitter beforehand, look at their sitting situation, and then leave your dog with a sitter who will send you updates and pictures of the dog while you're gone. We have used them several times with confidence.

-jamie

 

Our daughter and her husband just used Rover for their two pets while they were gone.  They were very impressed with the service.  I have also seen many positive comments about Rover on the RV forums.  The trip sounds fantastic!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bob, we went on the Polar bear trip a few years ago to Churchill, Manitoba. Could be wrong but I think we did it with Monaco International and they (somehow) shared the trip with one of the commercial tour groups (not important to know now). What is important is that we initially met (got together) with the group in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Many left their coach in Winnipeg. We left ours in North Dakota. From Winnipeg, we were bussed to The Pas, Manitoba. There, we got on a train for a two-day trip to Churchill. It was a great ride, good food, good sleeping, and good scenery. They put us in a BASIC motel (had everything we needed) in Churchill. We were toured around town AND went out to see the bears in what they call a "Tundra Buggy." Our guide was wonderful.  We spent the night out in the tundra in the "Tundra Buggy Lodge" and,  again, everything was fine. (I'm guessing that the facilities are more "up-to-date" know than when we went - but NO complaints.  We flew back to Winnipeg.

I STRONGLY recommend doing the trip AND spend at least one night in the Tundra Buggy Lodge. It's one of those you remember and talk about.

While I have LOTS of pics, I've attached two.

 

Ron

Tundra Buggy Lodge.jpg

Polar Bear Nose in Window.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, OhReally said:

Bob, look up Rover.com

Their dog sitters are local people that sit dogs in their homes. You can meet the sitter beforehand, look at their sitting situation, and then leave your dog with a sitter who will send you updates and pictures of the dog while you're gone. We have used them several times with confidence.

-jamie

 

Thanks Jamie, that is very interesting and I will check that out.

 

20 hours ago, David K said:

Our daughter and her husband just used Rover for their two pets while they were gone.  They were very impressed with the service.  I have also seen many positive comments about Rover on the RV forums.  The trip sounds fantastic!

Good to hear David. We did not know about Rover and this is very helpful.

 

18 hours ago, Ron Jones said:

Bob, we went on the Polar bear trip a few years ago to Churchill, Manitoba. Could be wrong but I think we did it with Monaco International and they (somehow) shared the trip with one of the commercial tour groups (not important to know now). What is important is that we initially met (got together) with the group in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Many left their coach in Winnipeg. We left ours in North Dakota. From Winnipeg, we were bussed to The Pas, Manitoba. There, we got on a train for a two-day trip to Churchill. It was a great ride, good food, good sleeping, and good scenery. They put us in a BASIC motel (had everything we needed) in Churchill. We were toured around town AND went out to see the bears in what they call a "Tundra Buggy." Our guide was wonderful.  We spent the night out in the tundra in the "Tundra Buggy Lodge" and,  again, everything was fine. (I'm guessing that the facilities are more "up-to-date" know than when we went - but NO complaints.  We flew back to Winnipeg.

I STRONGLY recommend doing the trip AND spend at least one night in the Tundra Buggy Lodge. It's one of those you remember and talk about.

While I have LOTS of pics, I've attached two.

 

Ron

Tundra Buggy Lodge.jpg

Polar Bear Nose in Window.jpg

Thanks Ron, good information and yes the tour we were looking at does the Tundra Lodge overnight stay. I got to keep my wife from seeing your photo of the polar bear at the window. She will be on the first flight up there!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We did the tour with Fantasy RV a few years ago. Our two Corgis were treated well by the campground owner in Thompson. She walked them and fed them. Saw a great Northern Lights display one night. Saw only two bears since it was early in the season. One at a distance and one close up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We live in Manitoba. I would be cautious booking a tour tight now. Climate change is having extreme effects on that area. Might not be any bears to see. I don't follow the North very much but there has been trouble with the railroad. I do know that they could sure use the tourist business with all the closed borders.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 7/11/2021 at 6:50 AM, DVerstra said:

We did the tour with Fantasy RV a few years ago. Our two Corgis were treated well by the campground owner in Thompson. She walked them and fed them. Saw a great Northern Lights display one night. Saw only two bears since it was early in the season. One at a distance and one close up.

Good to hear because I am sure our dog would prefer to stay in familiar soundings. We were also looking at Fantasy RV because we have used them in the past. Thanks for your help.

17 hours ago, birdshill123 said:

We live in Manitoba. I would be cautious booking a tour tight now. Climate change is having extreme effects on that area. Might not be any bears to see. I don't follow the North very much but there has been trouble with the railroad. I do know that they could sure use the tourist business with all the closed borders.

Bruce,

Have not seen you around for awhile. You once were very active over on iRv2. Guess I don't have room to talk because we have not posted much lately. We were planning on 2022 or 2023 and going as late as practical because of the warming trend at the pole. We will keep our ear to the ground for trends up there.

Edited by Bob Nodine
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...