Electrical tech needed

I guess I should have posted this in the general discussion. My apologies. Flew back to Portland to pick up my 09 Dynasty which had an electrical issue. The engine will stop randomly and show codes check engine, stop engine, and ATC. The shop I took it to has changed out both fuel filters, replaced the throttle position sensor, cleaned several connectors that showed some corrosion. They test drove it 30 miles without issue. I left the shop and It quit twice on me within 5 miles. It’s been in the shop since Memorial Day. I’m not taking it back there. They did their best but didn’t solve the problem. I’m looking for a tech somewhere in Oregon with great tech skills that you folks would highly recommend. Thanks in advance. 

Theo

Your Dynasty looks quite nice. Love the Dynastys. We were just looking a some last week in Junction City.

As you may know, many of the Monaco's were made 100 miles down the freeway from Portland in Coburg and Junction City area. There are many shops around there that should be able to diagnose and fix your rig quickly.

The new owners of Monaco are Rev Group in Coburg. If your Dynasty has a Cummins, there's a good Cummins shop in Coburg as well.

I've heard good things about REV RV Group Service Center and Cummins Sales and Service. I've not heard about the others. I hear you pay for good service with REV.

REV RV Group Service Center: +1877-466-6226

Cummins Sales and Service: +15416870000

Coburg Pizza Company: Great pizza if you get to stay in the area!: +15414846600

Premier RV Services: +15419982640

I hope that helps. I do have other contacts if you need. Feel free to contact me.

Had a similar problem with my Dynasty. It would just quit. Driving fast, slow, or idling didn't make any difference. No "fixed interval" discovered. I could restart easily. Cummins about wore out their INSITE trying to find the problem but no luck. It was pure coincidence that a Cummins tech in Anchorage was watching the INSITE, the coach was idling, and the engine just quit (like it had been doing). INSITE showed a problem with the "ignition" and shut down like we had turned "off" the ignition key. BUT, this only showed up on INSITE for a few seconds WHILE IT HAPPENED and would then the code would disappear. (Don't know why.) Cummins changed out a "board" and everything was great. Sorry, don't remember lots of details as this happened  in 2018. 

My point here is this could ONLY be found if it happened with INSITE plugged in, turned on, and watched.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ron Jones said:

Had a similar problem with my Dynasty. It would just quit. Driving fast, slow, or idling didn't make any difference. No "fixed interval" discovered. I could restart easily. Cummins about wore out their INSITE trying to find the problem but no luck. It was pure coincidence that a Cummins tech in Anchorage was watching the INSITE, the coach was idling, and the engine just quit (like it had been doing). INSITE showed a problem with the "ignition" and shut down like we had turned "off" the ignition key. BUT, this only showed up on INSITE for a few seconds WHILE IT HAPPENED and would then the code would disappear. (Don't know why.) Cummins changed out a "board" and everything was great. Sorry, don't remember lots of details as this happened  in 2018. 

My point here is this could ONLY be found if it happened with INSITE plugged in, turned on, and watched.

Ron,

If you can access your records or maybe contact the dealership, knowing the PN and the Board description would be quite beneficial....

Thanks...

Thanks everyone. I think I’m going to drive down to Coburg in the morning and physically  ask these people if they’re able to work on the coach. I’ve left about 4 voicemails and online requests with e few businesses and they have not yet responded. I’m well aware that they must be very busy, but it sure used to be nice talking with someone that had a pulse.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Reply to Tom Cherry...

I don't know how to reply just to you/your question but two problems exist... One, I lost EVERYTHING on my computer a couple of years ago so I have nothing. Two, I am not sure of the name nor location of the place that did this for me. It MAY have been Cummins but not sure today. Sorry. My best recollection is that the replacement board was about 3 x 5 inches and about $1,000.

Guest Ray Davis
14 hours ago, Ron Jones said:

Reply to Tom Cherry...

I don't know how to reply just to you/your question but two problems exist... One, I lost EVERYTHING on my computer a couple of years ago so I have nothing. Two, I am not sure of the name nor location of the place that did this for me. It MAY have been Cummins but not sure today. Sorry. My best recollection is that the replacement board was about 3 x 5 inches and about $1,000.

Hi Ron,   do you remember where the board was located?

Try this...  My wife remembers this board as the ECM (Electronic Control Module) but I can't verify that. I was NOT in the coach when they replaced it so don't know where it was located.

28 minutes ago, Ron Jones said:

Try this...  My wife remembers this board as the ECM (Electronic Control Module) but I can't verify that. I was NOT in the coach when they replaced it so don't know where it was located.

Ron,

If it was the ECM, then the cost of a "Cummins Remanufactured" ECM in 2020 was around $1000 - $1200 and if it was a "plug and play", then the labor should have been around $400 - $500. A buddy had one fail and Frank McElroy provided the backup program. It was done in Orlando and the bill was around $2100. If he had opted for a NEW ECM would have increased to over $3000

If you can pick your brain or perhaps the DW (they remember $$ for MH....trust me), then that might be of benefit....assuming you have no issues with discussing $$.

If so....then disregard this....

Thanks.

More "Non Help"...  I do remember the shop dropping the price to about "half" since they had failed to find the problem previously. I THINK I paid about $500 for the board (with their discount) and if so, that would pretty closely match with what you said.

8 minutes ago, Ron Jones said:

More "Non Help"...  I do remember the shop dropping the price to about "half" since they had failed to find the problem previously. I THINK I paid about $500 for the board (with their discount) and if so, that would pretty closely match with what you said.

I am pretty sure on my memory of the prices....as I would have made the same decision....  A remanufactured (Cummins Certified) ECM was above $1000.... 

Thanks.....now the OP will have to determine WHAT to do.

As an INSIGHT for the OP....  My buddy drove the MH from a dealer a little further south late one afternoon. He had it stored and was having some "coach" work done there. Had NO issues driving it maybe a few hours. Then camped ON in Orlando and BINGO....it would NOT start or run the next day. Cummins sent out a mobile tech and he pronounce the ECM DOA. They called the last dealer in NC that had serviced it...  Was past a year or so and the dealer did not, per Cummins Protocols, have a copy of the ECM program in their files. BUMMER>>>  He called our buddy, who was the GM for a HR dealership for 20 odd years. First words were....Call Tom. Fortunately, our Mr. Wizard of the Parts List had a comp of a similar unit. 

The Cummins Tech spoke to both myself and Frank. He said he could "Reinstall" the Engine Management protocols, but it would be "Guess and BY GOLLY" as to the interface with Monaco's additions such as the Cruise and God only knows what else. Frank, I think, spent more time with him...

Bottom line. The ECM download worked like a charm. The Cummins tech did some tweaking as there were some slight differences in the engine management routines....but the Monaco supplied interfaces, like the TCM and Cruise and VIP wheel and such worked great.  WOW....what a relief....

SO....to the OP....MAKE SURE that you have, ON YOUR COMPUTER, a copy of the ECM....if it FAILS....it is a fiasco.....  Just a word from the wise and also from one that has had to help a buddy recover from such....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure if Source Engineering just outside of Eugene, OR does much electrical stuff but it can't hurt to give them a call and ask. If they can't do it themselves, they may be able to refer you to someone.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the replies. We brought it down to Cummins in Coburg. We’ll see how that turns out. Someone there should have it together. I appreciate all the different replies. It’s nice to know that there are a lot shops down there that come with high marks. Flying home in the morning and we’ll wait and see what happens in the near future. My fingers are crossed…………Theo