Slide operation

Guest Steven

Guest Steven

I have  2004 Monaco Windsor 40SDT. Sometimes the slide will not activate the retract position. Is there a safety mechanism that will not active the switch unless air system fully charged?

Appreciate any help.

Steve.

On mine the basement doors all swing up.  Each door under a slide has an inhibitor switch that detects whether it is fully closed.  Sometimes mine does the same thing and I have to go outside and open the slam the door shut.

I washed my fuel tank bay ~3 months ago before installing a FASS pump, I had a problem with the inhibitor switch, had to disconnect the wires and bypass.  I've since ordered a spare inhibitor switch to keep.   http://www.nwrvsupply.com/product/9269-BX.html

Edited by jacwjames

Guest Steven

Thanks for the info. I will check all bay doors from now on. My owners manual says the air system should be fully charged. If not chargd will that cause slide to not operate?

Steve.

2 hours ago, jacwjames said:

I washed my fuel tank bay ~3 months ago before installing a FASS pump, I had a problem with the inhibitor switch, had to disconnect the wires and bypass.  I've since ordered a spare inhibitor switch to keep.

Why did you put in the FASS pump? Supplemental to the factory system or replacement to factory system?

The Fass lift pump conversion comes from the PU truck’s with a VP44 injection pump which requires a external continuous operating lift pump to supply the fuel. On the Cummins ISC, ISL & ISX the lift pump only runs for 30 seconds on startup. Once the engine starts, the internal gear pump supplies the necessary fuel for the injection pump unlike the PU truck engines.

IMHO a Fass lift pump on a MH is a transfer of money to Fass and is unnecessary. Yes, the older Cummins lift pump tended to leak with the new fuel and finding a replacement $7 gasket has gotten harder. Fass does claim the pump & filters will get the air out of the fuel… here again a problem I didn’t know we had.

I spend quite a bit of time reading the Monacoers & IRV2 forums, the number of people that are having problems with the CAP's injection pump seems to be increasing along with the number of reports of the original fuel transfer pump leaking and/or failing.  This is not a new problem but it seems to be increasing with the age of the motorhomes.

So I've made it a point to check the lift pump looking for any tell tale signs of a leak.  I even bought a spare gasket just in case.  Well last year I took my coach out for a ~75 mile run to give it a work out and fill it up with fuel, prior to this I had given it a service including grease lube of the chassis.  Brought it back home parked in on fresh clean concrete where it had been parked before and decided to clean the jack stems, they seem to be slow coming up.  Crawled under the coach and low and behold I had a fuel leak.  Went ahead and tightened the 3 bolts and the leak stopped.  This was Nov 2020. 

Over the next months there were more and more reports of CAPS failures.  This can cost ~$5-7K, less if you can do it yourself but that would be a job I'd be hesitant to tackle.  There were a number of Monaco owners who installed either a FASS or Airdog pump.  I started to look at the option and decided it seemed like a good idea to take the risk out of the original fuel transfer pump. 

Also know that Cummins actually had a TSB (see attached) on the transfer pump dating back to Nov 2006, originally they would inspect and replace the pump if it was leaking, then they started just replacing the gasket, then they just let the owner/operators fend for themselves. 

So all that being said, IMHO I think the cost of the FASS install to provide a more positive fuel supply to the injector pump has value and therefore decided to install the FASS system earlier this year.   The benefits far outweigh the costs. 

Cummins ISL Lift Pumps service bulletin.pdf

Forgive my ignorance but does this FASS pump mount near the fuel tank? Does it replace a factory fuel pump on the engine or supplement the fuel deliver from the tank? Any pictures you can share?

There are a number of options on how to install. 

A lot of times there is not room/access to the fuel tank to mount there so people choose to mount near the engine. 

In my case I had enough room to mount near the fuel tank.  I bypassed the original lift pump and used the fuel line that the original transfer pump used as the supply line from the FASS.  I then had to add a return line from the FASS pump to tank.  I also added a fuel pressure gauge at the secondary filter to monitor fuel pressure to the CAPS pump.  I've put ~5K miles on the coach and all seems fine

Thanks for the info Jim.

I've found that the solution to a lot of my problems, real and imaginary,  has been the rear radiator. One can't see anything. If you did have a problem you couldn't get to it without turning the RV upside down or inside out. So I just try to be happy and not worry.😳

Edited by Gary Cole

On 8/7/2021 at 6:29 AM, Steven said:

Thanks for the info. I will check all bay doors from now on. My owners manual says the air system should be fully charged. If not chargd will that cause slide to not operate?

Steve.

Getting back on topic, I would think your slides should operate even with your coach not at 'travel' setting on the air bags.

Mine will.