Deal on low mileage 2007 HR at insurance auction

18 minutes ago, Dwight Lindsey said:

Very strange picture.  I'm curious to know what we're looking at.  It seems to be the roof of a motorhome, without the fiberglass roof material forward of the ladder.  But there are no holes for vents or air conditioners.  Hmm . . . 

There’s no ac holes or other protrusions so a reroof was started? 

Guest Ray Davis

Some people thrive on this sort of stuff.   It depends mostly on ones skills and tolerance for punishing themselves.

If you hang out any on the other forum you have probably followed this thread.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/just-purchased-wrecked-2004-camelot-pdq-big-project-444980.html

I have no doubt that this young man could repair it.

I agree Ray

In the 60s Dad  had a talented welder, fabricator work for him for 25 years.

His son,  about my age is of the same capabilities and actions 

They buy junk for little to nothing and spend 100s or thousands of man hours rebuilding cars, trucks, boats and motorhome s.

They admit that if they counted the value of labor, shop time and expenses. 

Plus new or junk yard parts. 🤔

They come out about even or over cost of buying the same model and year outright and using the vehicle,  boat or rv for that 1 to 5 years of ownership. 

They say only 50% of bus conversations are completed by the original owner with intentions to have a drivable, live in traveling conversion. 

The people that take the bus to a conversion company and say.

You have a year and an open check book.

Those people get a usable , selable rv .

To be proud of. In a year or two. 

Spending BIG BUCKS 

55 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

Some people thrive on this sort of stuff.   It depends mostly on ones skills and tolerance for punishing themselves.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/just-purchased-wrecked-2004-camelot-pdq-big-project-444980.html

Started reading that thread. That guy definitely thrives on projects. 

1 hour ago, Ray Davis said:

He is a good friend of ours living outside of Hamler, malenta Ohio.

We both boat some on the Maumee River. 

He is a genius. 

Building cars, boats, Airplanes,  and  a submarine 

And he still races motocross motorcycles 

He ran flat track at one time.

Great guy

He bought the cap for the Monaco at Visone in Kentucky. 

What's different is.

He has and is willing to spend BIG, BIG BUCKS , ON Quality Investments. 

Interesting videos. I'm guilty myself of spending far too much time on old cars and vintage motorcycles. No one that I know makes money doing it, including myself.

I looked at the RV a couple of months ago through the fence as the office was closed. Very nice looking and well maintained except for the scalping. I'm guessing he nearly cleared a low overpass. Didn't even crack the windshield. Came close to doing that myself one time. First thing I noticed was the chunks of concrete missing from the bottom of the bridge as I approached it at some speed. The hardest part was having to back out against uncooperative traffic  and into a very busy street.

Edited by Gary Cole
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gary Cole said:

Interesting videos. I'm guilty myself of spending far too much time on old cars and vintage motorcycles. No one that I know makes money doing it, including myself.

I looked at the RV a couple of months ago through the fence as the office was closed. Very nice looking and well maintained except for the scalping. I'm guessing he nearly cleared a low overpass. Didn't even crack the windshield. Came close to doing that myself one time. First thing I noticed was the chunks of concrete missing from the bottom of the bridge as I approached it at some speed. The hardest part was having to back out against uncooperative traffic  and into a very busy street.

Are they aluminum roofs or Fiberglass back in the day? 

Mornin everyone, as a now retired mechanic i had worked for some folks that were restoring projects similar to what this guy did. They were mostly cars an trucks and i did the wiring part, im sure taking on a project of that magnatude takes someone with a strong vision of what an how there going to do to get it back to its glory.

During the vidio he made reference to the shower doors, one was not taken do to it had hinges, however the second one was missing, he made reference to the auction may have been the culprits. Pardon my ignorance but why are the shower doors taken? And i could see how loose items are subject to proliferation by some “people” like knobs or radio fronts? But a SHOWER DOOR! Its not like they can stuff that in there pocket… is there that much of a market for shower doors? Guess im kinda naïve if there is.

I

6 minutes ago, Rikadoo said:

Mornin everyone, as a now retired mechanic i had worked for some folks that were restoring projects similar to what this guy did. They were mostly cars an trucks and i did the wiring part, im sure taking on a project of that magnatude takes someone with a strong vision of what an how there going to do to get it back to its glory.

During the vidio he made reference to the shower doors, one was not taken do to it had hinges, however the second one was missing, he made reference to the auction may have been the culprits. Pardon my ignorance but why are the shower doors taken? And i could see how loose items are subject to proliferation by some “people” like knobs or radio fronts? But a SHOWER DOOR! Its not like they can stuff that in there pocket… is there that much of a market for shower doors? Guess im kinda naïve if there is.

I

Nothing surprises me anymore.  When I bought a piece of property a few years ago, it was littered with bicycle tires and tubes, 100s.

Talking with a local LEO bud, methheads take just the font bike tire off a locked bike. Just for tiny amount of aluminum they get money for at the scrap yard. 

Drugs make good people so crazy things