Creating the Toad

I thought I’d put together a thread on making the wife’s rig our toad. Ask questions, offer advice, I can handle a little nit-pick as well. 

Bought the truck in Dec 2019, had zero idea we’d ever have a MH that would need rig to tow. My wife has always wanted a Raptor, we went to go buy a Silver one, and ended up with blue.

Everyone knows that they are off road beasts, but, with the squishy ride comes a pathetic 1200 lbs payload. Put our family in it, and some day travel gear and payload is halved. I am upgrading the rear suspension, front suspension and adding a front bumper to allow it to be flat towed. 

38C85076-C9DC-4531-9851-37EB6B727436.jpeg

Starting rear suspension and tearing off front

AB95BAC6-9109-43EF-BBA7-154790DF1E4C.jpeg

EB0B0305-2BBB-47B6-978B-A35DCFED45E8.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice truck.   Over on IRV2, there is a guy, "DutchstarDon" that has a raptor as a towd.   As I recall, he really tricked out the front of it and you can't see any  (or very little) of the tow hardware/plugs/etc.  Even his front license plate is hinged, which covers up the pigtail plug.  Wish I had pictures to post.

5 minutes ago, windsorbill06 said:

Nice truck.   Over on IRV2, there is a guy, "DutchstarDon" that has a raptor as a towd.   As I recall, he really tricked out the front of it and you can't see any  (or very little) of the tow hardware/plugs/etc.  Even his front license plate is hinged, which covers up the pigtail plug.  Wish I had pictures to post.

I’ll look over there. I’m not a member on that forum. I am on a few forums that keep me occupied. Had to ditch a few of them because people were just getting mean. To much my way or the Highway crap. 

• Like 1

Do some research on burning (on Fire) transmissions in ford trucks that are flat towed. I have two different friends that flat towed a F150 and one had a Raptor. Both were 4x4 with flat tow mode. The problem is the truck slips back into gear or other issue causing a total loss on the trans. I have a 2019 F150 4x4 and 2021 F250 4x4. Both with flat tow capabilities. I trailer the trucks. Just a thought. 

Hey i thought i was runnin thru tall grass pullin my little F-150… man that toad has some Lbs on it!!! Is your MH a DP? I really like the idea though cause either i pull my pu to get around town or i tow our can-am X3 for fun your gonna have the best of both👍 
Curious though if you wanted silver an got blue was it a inventory issue or???

37 minutes ago, Nevada Rob said:

Do some research on burning (on Fire) transmissions in ford trucks that are flat towed. I have two different friends that flat towed a F150 and one had a Raptor. Both were 4x4 with flat tow mode. The problem is the truck slips back into gear or other issue causing a total loss on the trans. I have a 2019 F150 4x4 and 2021 F250 4x4. Both with flat tow capabilities. I trailer the trucks. Just a thought. 

All good, I’ll take a look. But honestly it might  be like most internet stuff, always hear the bad. No one hardly ever goes online to report that they had Miles of trouble free anything these days.

So you have 2 friends and both their rides caught in fire while being flat towed?  

17 minutes ago, Rikadoo said:

Hey i thought i was runnin thru tall grass pullin my little F-150… man that toad has some Lbs on it!!! Is your MH a DP? I really like the idea though cause either i pull my pu to get around town or i tow our can-am X3 for fun your gonna have the best of both👍 
Curious though if you wanted silver an got blue was it a inventory issue or???

Wanted Silver, saw the Blue and fell in love. 

Yeah the Dip is a DP ISC 330 with 10k towing 

55 minutes ago, Nevada Rob said:

Just for kicks found this

https://ford.oemdtc.com/4385/difficulty-enabling-neutral-tow-mode-2019-ford-f-150

I did have trouble with my 2019 F150. It did not go into flat tow mode. My 2021 seems to go into just fine. One friend had smoke pouring from the trans. The other guy who is very mechanical and very by the book/instructions. He towed his Raptor for about a year on different trips with no issues.  Then one trip about 300 miles into the trip something went south and self destructed the trans. He had to have it taken in on a flatbed. I don't trust the electronics. 

Here's a link that may be of interest.  Not a raptor, but a f150.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/damage-drivetrain-while-towing-f-150-a-549575.html

3 hours ago, JDCrow said:

I’ll look over there. I’m not a member on that forum. I am on a few forums that keep me occupied. Had to ditch a few of them because people were just getting mean. To much my way or the Highway crap. 

I totally understand.

You don't have to join the IRV2 to read the threads, just can't post.  But if you do join, it's free.

Hey JD, yeah the blue looks really nice. I would say that DP wont have any problems, i have a 2003 HR that has the Stinger kit on it, bought it used that way… im told it boosts hp to 350, works really nice in the sierra mtns, we take our toy out in the desert! Keep me up on how it does when your towing, that could be a game changer for a toad👍10F69D96-EF03-4FC2-8F3A-4D3DAB3AB341.thumb.jpeg.882649c4db0e24689da0b3f7e6cb9e41.jpeg

24 minutes ago, windsorbill06 said:

Here's a link that may be of interest.  Not a raptor, but a f150.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/damage-drivetrain-while-towing-f-150-a-549575.html

I totally understand.

You don't have to join the IRV2 to read the threads, just can't post.  But if you do join, it's free.

Thanks! We are going to make up a couple laminated sheets to have as check lists to make sure we follow all the procedures. It’s a bit Amazing how much more there is to check with just the coach, and throw a toad behind. Maybe I’m used to 5th wheels, but it does seem like a lot less to contend with 

3 minutes ago, Rikadoo said:

Hey JD, yeah the blue looks really nice. I would say that DP wont have any problems, i have a 2003 HR that has the Stinger kit on it, bought it used that way… im told it boosts hp to 350, works really nice in the sierra mtns, we take our toy out in the desert! Keep me up on how it does when your towing, that could be a game changer for a toad👍10F69D96-EF03-4FC2-8F3A-4D3DAB3AB341.thumb.jpeg.882649c4db0e24689da0b3f7e6cb9e41.jpeg

Will do. In AZ and ID you have the ultimate on/off roader 

Almost done. We had a hiccup with some perch clips. Need the OEM, but last shop threw them out. Found 2 on the shelf at a supply house in Cali. They are non existent. The other 2 came off a shock that was being tested at the off-road manufacturer. Hopefully they are here next week 

Bumper getting lights as well.

Look at its bunk mate 

3367390D-0CCC-4BE2-95FD-0537430EEA4B.jpeg

2A5922A7-DEC2-43C9-B09B-01C68C1A8C2B.jpeg

6454A50F-55A5-4342-90CB-56C53478F3BF.jpeg

60B76135-1E27-4834-8F40-3D5E3E2CB848.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a 2016 GMC Sierra all terrain that I wanted to make my toad. I'm a newbie to this stuff so it kinda scares me a little to tow my nice truck when I have a "beater" (s-10) The coach came with all the equipment to tow with. A sterling tow bar and everything to hook to a vehicle ...... .......super nice shop JD

1 hour ago, Flyinhy said:

I have a 2016 GMC Sierra all terrain that I wanted to make my toad. I'm a newbie to this stuff so it kinda scares me a little to tow my nice truck when I have a "beater" (s-10) The coach came with all the equipment to tow with. A sterling tow bar and everything to hook to a vehicle ...... .......super nice shop JD

Well, couple things, 

First, not my shop. Traded the bumper/light install for me hammering out a power trench. The guy has a great shop, but ran out of money and had no power to it. So a quick barter And a week of my time. My shop is all the gravel you see.

Second, I’m a total newbie as well, I’ve never towed a rig behind this coach. I’ve pulled just about everything else, including Rock crushers and large equipment. It’s crossed my mind to grab a cheap jeep or something to pull, but I’d end up towing the Rap eventually, so figured I’d save the money and just go for it. 

Early snow in the forecast, so pushing back our trip a day or 2. More time to prep. 

Where are you on getting your coach rolling? 

3 hours ago, JDCrow said:

Well, couple things, 

First, not my shop. Traded the bumper/light install for me hammering out a power trench. The guy has a great shop, but ran out of money and had no power to it. So a quick barter And a week of my time. My shop is all the gravel you see.

Second, I’m a total newbie as well, I’ve never towed a rig behind this coach. I’ve pulled just about everything else, including Rock crushers and large equipment. It’s crossed my mind to grab a cheap jeep or something to pull, but I’d end up towing the Rap eventually, so figured I’d save the money and just go for it. 

Early snow in the forecast, so pushing back our trip a day or 2. More time to prep. 

Where are you on getting your coach 

It's gonna be another week or two before I can get tires. I'm gonna study IvyLogs suggestion of 11r a little longer.. After that I should be ready to take her on her maiden voyage. As far as towing things.....Driving a Kenworth with 40k of counterweight or a 90ton truck crane through smackdab downtown Atlanta on those small streets isn't too nerve-wracking after 20 years. 

On 10/10/2021 at 7:41 AM, Flyinhy said:

It's gonna be another week or two before I can get tires. I'm gonna study IvyLogs suggestion of 11r a little longer.. After that I should be ready to take her on her maiden voyage. As far as towing things.....Driving a Kenworth with 40k of counterweight or a 90ton truck crane through smackdab downtown Atlanta on those small streets isn't too nerve-wracking after 20 years. 

Dude you’re a pro! Towing the toad as we speak and it’s a breeze 

Got a late start. Put on the front protector. Had 1 wire crossed in the tail lights (no pro light on one side)

What took the longest, the pins for the bumper connects on the blue ox. The were a. It snug, so pounded the pin in. Well, the pins are pretty soft metal and Mushroomed it. All my tools in the Bay of the Dip do had to haul them out and grind the pin. Had to go through and track down a file to grind out the bumper connects as the powder coat filled the hole to much for the pins. Once done, on the road. We are about 3-5 hours behind my time table, but 50 mph gusts here on the slat flat has me sitting in the rest area. 

2D1F12A0-B9C4-4CE0-8ED6-E77A7DB9520A.jpeg

01FD9A94-2FBD-4793-8752-4594D88A7422.jpeg

80C2F805-3EBA-4B22-A3C1-5D21B2266638.jpeg

• Like 2

Hey JD, so i saw you were in Winimuca, did you stay the night or just wait out the wind? So where you heading too? Damm the rig looks great paired with the Raptor, hows it pulling with all that wieght? The damm wind has been blowing steady for 2 days now here in the bay area. Did you ever put on a steering stabilizer on your MH? Drive safe & happy trails😎

Got out late Monday, stayed the night in winnemucca . Winds picked up out of Elko, and by Bonneville, we had 50 MPH gusts. Took an hour for some rest and a sandwich. I-15 through rush hour Salt Lake was a hoot. Rain started dumping and turning to snow. Got a little slick so pulled off outside Nephi Ut. It’s a Hard freeze tonight (25) so will have to stay tucked into the park. We are itching to get to Hatch Ut for Bryce and Zion. Though now they are both kinda driving trips at this point. 

The Dip doesn’t miss a beat with the Raptor. She pulls hard and the the Raptor is straight as an arrow behind. Raptor isn’t that heavy, about 5800 lbs. Super impressed with Blue Ox and RVI braking, as well as the jake brake! 

I do have a safety steer on. I have too much play in my TRW box and the stabilizer is kinda fighting it. Between wind, ruts, and the play, it’s been a bit hairy. Will try and get the play adjusted out when I get to Yuma next week. I will be ordering rear watts to finish my suspension. My TPMS was delivered to work finally and employee is forwarding it to Yuma for us. 

• Like 1

So far my plan is to pull out in November, initially was going to Klamath falls, then Idaho, Nevada, and on into Az. I suspect many of these places may change due to the coming snow, i refuse to carry or use chains. So i see your going to Yuma, have you been there before? I ask cause normally i do Quartsite, and may still, however i have been reading about Yuma so its on my radar. I like the proximity to the border, perhaps a park with some amenities untill the rv show. 

We pretty much end any camping in November. By Thanksgiving, we plan on snow in central Oregon. This is an early cold front for sure. 

I hate chains. I own a set for our pickups mainly as I don’t want to be stuck over in the valley should the passes require it. We started running the newer snowflake tires year round that Oregon allows in place of chains. 

We have friends who live outside of Yuma in the foothills. It’s warm and quiet, though they say it’s growing like crazy from influx of people in the last year.  It’s a bit Wild West where they live in the fact that building codes are pretty lax. You can pick up a bare lot with utilities and just park your RV on it for the winter. Would never be allowed where we live, but some do it. They have an older manufactured home that they picked up a few years ago on a lot they own for $65k and semi retired.