Jump to content

Exhaust Overheating Code (1966)


Recommended Posts

I have an issue with my 2008 Monaco Knight engine @ ISC 360 exhaust overheating code (1966) It did not bring up the icon the first three time then did on the forth time, engine died took three times to restart, all the time it died was while climbing  a high altitude pass Question can a sensor on the exhaust system kill the engine? And what should I do, new Class A RVer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good question although I would think it would derate the engine allowing it to cool down instead of killing it which would raise the water temperature. 
When on a long climb it’s better to manually downshift and keep the rpms around 1800 for better cooling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Ivylog said:

Good question although I would think it would derate the engine allowing it to cool down instead of killing it which would raise the water temperature. 
When on a long climb it’s better to manually downshift and keep the rpms around 1800 for better cooling.

I did down shift, Only did this when going thru hi passes 9-12k high. The engine water never got hot. The code on the computer was 1966 which relates to the exhaust system regeneration. Their are three sensor but my understanding is that they will not shut the coach down. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Gospel said:

I did down shift, Only did this when going thru hi passes 9-12k high. The engine water never got hot. The code on the computer was 1966 which relates to the exhaust system regeneration. Their are three sensor but my understanding is that they will not shut the coach down. 

I was afraid you had a 07 engine with regeneration. Found the following that says code 1966 will shut the engine down. Looks like it was in regen and the extra heat of climbing over temped the exhaust sensor shutting down the engine. Usually you have to keep the rpms up for the regen to work. First time I’ve heard of to much heat not being good. Sounds like a one time event where the sun and the moon aligned.

https://www.blog-teknisi.com/2018/10/spn-3241-fmi-0-fault-code-1966.html?m=1

76E62EA0-AAF1-4F1B-BB64-31A349FA01EF.png

Edited by Ivylog
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Ivylog said:

I was afraid you had a 07 engine with regeneration. Found the following that says code 1966 will shut the engine down. Looks like it was in regen and the extra heat of climbing over temped the exhaust sensor shutting down the engine. Usually you have to keep the rpms up for the regen to work. First time I’ve heard of to much heat not being good. Sounds like a one time event where the sun and the moon aligned.

https://www.blog-teknisi.com/2018/10/spn-3241-fmi-0-fault-code-1966.html?m=1

76E62EA0-AAF1-4F1B-BB64-31A349FA01EF.png

It's happened 4 time, each time climbing a pass, with no dinghy. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Am going to replace all sensors, there are 3, and find out how the regeneration system function and if it's still okay. Would like to see some service info on it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Gospel said:

Am going to replace all sensors, there are 3, and find out how the regeneration system function and if it's still okay. Would like to see some service info on it. 

I assume your motor is the same as mine.

07 EPA ISC 360

so following as I’ve had two issues with my regen in the past. First was DEF plugged up.

Second was having a stationary regen being preformed without fans to help cool exhaust and engine shut down. Placed fans and all ok on finish regen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I need to understand the regen function better. Exactly how it functions, repair it and how to avoid the shutdowns. It has always restarted but won't pull anything until the third time. Thank God it did start and pull, was on a two lane road in the Big Horn NP. People piling up behind.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Gospel said:

I need to understand the regen function better. Exactly how it functions, repair it and how to avoid the shutdowns. It has always restarted but won't pull anything until the third time. Thank God it did start and pull, was on a two lane road in the Big Horn NP. People piling up behind.

Hope u will do a write up when u find out. Now my curiosity is up to understand also.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Regen dumps fuel into the exhaust filter, to ignite and burn out the accumulated carbon.

It usually runs during highway cruising, but if you happen to slow or stop during a cycle, it can result in very high exhaust system temps.

(Notice the venturi exhaust tips on newer diesel pickups.  They draw in extra air to cool the exhaust stream, so it won't set someones pants on fire who happens to walk by your truck at the wrong time). LOL

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a tractor with the regen system. It gives me a warning that a regen is due and allows me to initiate the process manually. Do over the highway diesels give a similar warning and if so would it be prudent to initiate the cycle manually before traveling in mountainous areas?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gary Cole said:

I have a tractor with the regen system. It gives me a warning that a regen is due and allows me to initiate the process manually. Do over the highway diesels give a similar warning and if so would it be prudent to initiate the cycle manually before traveling in mountainous areas?

That’s a good idea about doing a manual region I’ll have to look into it and see if that’s possible better yet maybe I can take it offThat’s a good idea about doing a manual region I’ll have to look into it and see if that’s possible better yet maybe I can take it off

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Gospel said:

That’s a good idea about doing a manual region I’ll have to look into it and see if that’s possible better yet maybe I can take it offThat’s a good idea about doing a manual region I’ll have to look into it and see if that’s possible better yet maybe I can take it off

Whenever u do a manual regen u need to have plenty of fans to circulate the air around the exhaust as if you are driving down the highway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Scott 61 said:

How do you do a manual Regen

Thank you

The only time a manual regen should be done is if your coach is not automatically doing them at approximately every 100 hrs. To find that out u need the insite software or take it to a shop that has it and run a diagnostic on the ECM. Mine was working properly but the two previous owners may have done too much idling which will plug up your DOF and DOC filter. Some coaches in engine area have something to do a manual regen I've been told. True or not I have no idea.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Scott 61 said:

How do you do a manual Regen

Thank you

They don't give us RV owners a switch to preform manual regens!

We're too stupid! May park over a box of gasoline soaked rags 😁!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Scott 61 said:

How do you do a manual Regen

Thank you

Your DPF will become blocked when soot builds up in it. ... Forced regeneration: Mechanics can carry out a forced regeneration where they burn the soot off for you. This is expensive, and can only be done 4 times before it damages the filter permanently. This was on the internet and very confusing as why doing a manual regen is worse that an automatic regen.

Edited by Gary M
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Never heard of that Gary.

Where I worked, They had an outside DPF 'baking' station where the diesel forklifts that ran inside the warehouses would bake the DPF's on a regular basis.

I guess they had a quick release system on them.

Never really seen it done but maybe they threw one in the oven, and grabbed one that had come out.

Edited by 96 EVO
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, 96 EVO said:

Never heard of that Gary.

Where I worked, They had an outside DPF 'baking' station where the diesel forklifts that ran inside the warehouses would bake the DPF's on a regular basis.

I guess they had a quick release system on them.

Well I can only speak of my experience with my coach. When my DPF and DOC plugged up, I had them removed, cleaned and baked then reassembled. A year later my coach acted the same way and the shop I ended up in checked the sensors first then attempted to do the manual regen without fans cooling the exhaust and it got so hot the ECM shut the engine down. Long story short, that wasn’t the problem, it turned out the VGT for the turbo failed plus the ECM needed an update.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Yeah, that worries me. Pretty sure my ECM has never been updated!

I didn’t realize they needed updating till that happened. Recently it got another update while getting a service at a Cummins Care Shop. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, I recall reading a thread by Myron, on the other forum ( think he's here as well), and he brought his same year ISL to a Cummins shop, they threw away and sold him a new DPF $$$, and updated his ECM.

He figured he lost HP, and about 1 mpg

I thought...... No thank you 😁!!

Edited by 96 EVO
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, 96 EVO said:

Well, I recall reading a thread by Myron, on the other forum ( think he's here as well), and he brought his same year ISL to a Cummins shop, they threw away and sold him a new DPF $$$, and updated his ECM.

He figured he lost HP, and about 1 gph.

I thought...... No thank you 😁!!

Ouch! Threw it away. Geeze! This last service is my last going to this shop. A 4 hr job took two weeks and then had to take back because my generator was making a tinny sounding noise. Forgot a screw in sheetmetal cover.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...