Bedroom Slide Worm Gear drive box DN13462

I've been working on my coach quite a bit and moving the slides in and out as needed.  The bedroom slide had started to drag on the floor a little and had gotten progressively worse but finally figured out that the screws that held the bed portion onto the slide box had loosened up.  Monaco used 5 small screws, they were all pretty much finger tight so I removed and used a large lag type screw plus added some extra so that problem is solved.

But while moving the slide in and out I noticed that the gear seems to be missing a tooth.  This is not the clutch type jumping that you get at the end of travel in/out.  This is while the slide is in motion, I can hear it jump a gear but then picks right back up again and moves.  I have the parts page (attached) showing my slide mechanism, it is a DeWald ass DN13796.  I suspect that it may the worm gear in the drive mechanism, it has a part number of DN013462,  

Has anyone had to repair this, if so what was the problem/solution. 

Is this the gear https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-Tuson-Slide-Venture-Motor/dp/B0833FN856/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=B0833FN856&qid=1631378518&sr=8-1

My slide is working but I'd hate to get stranded some where. 

1 Slideout Bedroom mechanism.pdf

Having the same problem with my living room slide dragging the floor and has broken some of the tiles. Taking it into Day Brothers RV in London KY Tuesday to get checked out and hopefully adjusted. I do a lot of my own work but have no desire to begin working on slides. In your opinion James can you do an adjustment to stop dragging or is something needing a replacement like you did on bedroom slide. 

2 minutes ago, stillrunning_60@hotmail.com said:

Having the same problem with my living room slide dragging the floor and has broken some of the tiles. Taking it into Day Brothers RV in London KY Tuesday to get checked out and hopefully adjusted. I do a lot of my own work but have no desire to begin working on slides. In your opinion James can you do an adjustment to stop dragging or is something needing a replacement like you did on bedroom slide. 

The slide can be adjusted fairly easily.  Depends on your setup.

On my coach, with the kitchen cabinets in the slide, there are 3 rollers, 2 are accessible from the inside under the cabinets, and the third one from the outside in front wheel well.  Mine started to drag at the rear of the slide where the kitchen cabinet protrudes from the slide.  I removed the lower draw and you can see the roller assembly.  There is another under the sink this is accessible by lifting the false floor.  There is an adjusting bolt on top with lock nut.  Loosen ht locknut and turn the bolt to raise the front of the slide a little.  I adjusted the back two and left the front alone. 

Thanks James I forgot to mention that my bedroom slide motor bite the dust 2 years ago and I had to send it to be rebuilt to the tune of over 700 dollars. Because of age of coach (2002) and the company that built it no longer in existence could not find a use or new replacement. Isn’t New Market next to Strawberry Plains?

New Market it between Strawberry Plains and Jefferson City, just a bump in the road with 1 stop light. 

The bottom of the slide out is solid, no soft spots that I can see. 

Well, I would like to take a vote and see how many people think that who ever designs anything should have to work on it first before sending for final approval. 

I spent about 3 hours removing the motor and gear box and taking it apart.  They made it almost impossible to work on.  The previous link that I posted for the Tuscon gear is not the right one.  There was no other markings on the gear box or gears that I could see. 

I did not find any problems with the gears, there was plenty of grease in it but not much on the gears them selves.  So while I was working on it I made sure to lubricate the gears when I put it back together.  Having to work in tight quarters on my knees leaning over the edge of the bed was not fun.  It was just hard putting it back as taking it out.  I finally rigged a sling to get it positioned close to where it needed to be and then was able to get one of the mounting bolts started and then the second, what a pain.  Even the simplest thing as putting the 4 bolts in the coupling was a challenge. 

But in the end I got it all back together and tested.   I ran it in and out a couple times and it did not seem to "miss" like it was before.  The front corner did not drag on the floor as it had been doing.  So whatever I did seems to have cured my problems.  Replacing and tightening the screws that hold the bed frame to the the slide tightened everything up a lot. 

I have sent a message to Lippert, maybe they may have some info.

So in the mean time I just have my fingers crossed!!!!

Edited by jacwjames

Jim,

Sounds like you have it under control.... I would still recommend adding the SS plates, as the engineer that designed that slide with a fiberglass panel covering a wood bottom of the slide never thought about it being around 20 years later.  My wood must have gotten wet, deteriorated, and the fiberglass was not up to the task of having that much weight concentrated on the contact area of the rollers....

As a person who maintained mechanical devices for a living (now retired??)  I totally agree, designers should have to take apart and access the stuff they design!!

Ken

Jim,

I had to install SS Skid Plates to the bottom wood runners of the bed pedestal as one side had gotten gouged from the small permanent roller on the floor. Then last year Chris Throgmartin had pointed out that the portion of the slide on the outside was starting to show signs of wear. Not serious but would need some attention in a few years. Since I was planning to be at their shop for some other maintenance items I had them make up two SS skid plates for the outside and install them.

The slide now travels in and out smoothly but it does occasionally click or briefly hesitate. It's the same sound when I get to the end of travel.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Jim,

I had to install SS Skid Plates to the bottom wood runners of the bed pedestal as one side had gotten gouged from the small permanent roller on the floor. Then last year Chris Throgmartin had pointed out that the portion of the slide on the outside was starting to show signs of wear. Not serious but would need some attention in a few years. Since I was planning to be at their shop for some other maintenance items I had them make up two SS skid plates for the outside and install them.

The slide now travels in and out smoothly but it does occasionally click or briefly hesitate. It's the same sound when I get to the end of travel.

Thanks Richard, looking at installing SS plates.  Right now I can't see any problem with the bottom of the slide.

Mine started to do something different, not the same as the end of travel where the clutch lets the gear jump.  After I got it all back together yesterday it didn't do it any more.  Now I'm wondering if it might have been the motor "pausing", not sure.  Going to do some more looking today but if I don't find anything else I call it quits.

I didn't have to take my bed frame completely apart to repair.  I just had to remove the 2 covers toward the head of the bed that cover the slide mechanism.  I first removed the small one and didn't see the real problem, then some on here and IRV2 suggested I go further so I removed the larger piece.  That is when I found the loose screws on either side of the bed  The ~1 1/2" aluminum angle pieces were about ~30" long, it had larger lag type lag bolts going down but only had smaller screws going into the side.  The small screws were all loose, I could remove with my fingers so I used large lag type bolts to replace the 5 screws and then added 3 extra ones.  Doubt they will come loose now but If I notice the problem of the front of the slide "drooping" I'll know what to do next time. 

Since I was working on this I did decide to remove and go through the slide motor and gear box.  Not saying that wasn't a good idea but probably not worth the effort and scraped/cut knuckles it took to get it apart. 

Here's a picture of the gear box.  I have the parts break down for the whole slide assembly and none of my searches turned up any of the parts.  The list does include the Monaco part number for the whole thing but REV didn't have it. 

The gearbox itself is built pretty solid.  All the gears are brass and it uses flat needle type bearings on both ends of the 3 gears.  The motor itself is also small but combined they get the job done, lots of torque due to the gear reduction. 

I guess if it fails you'd have to try and adapt a different type of gear drive but there is not much room to work with. 

Bedroom Slide Gear Box.jpg

Guest Ray Davis

Is your motor and gear assy attached to this beveled gear assy?  I have read about a 21 tooth plastic that strips/crumbles.  Is that inside the gear box?

GJthInP.jpg

53 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

Is your motor and gear assy attached to this beveled gear assy?  I have read about a 21 tooth plastic that strips/crumbles.  Is that inside the gear box?

Ray,

No, my gear box has a worm gear type system.  There is a gear that attaches to the motor, then an intermediate gear, and final drive gear that mates to the drive couple.  Not sure what the gear reduction is but it is pretty high, when I turned the motor gear it barely moved the drive gear.  All brass inside, no adjustments for mesh/alignment.  Best I could do is take it apart, check, move some of the grease around to better cover the gears, and put it back together.  I did not see any signs of wear.  As long as it  lasts another 20 years I'll be happy!!!!!!!

• 3 months later...

Can you tell if it is trying to do anything.  Have you checked the fuses on the control module for the slides? 

On my slide mechanism pictured in one of the previous posts you can see a small shaft, this can be turned to get the slide to move. 

Check in your manual to see if there is a description on how to move in an emergency.