Toolbox

I'm a big "tool" guy. (Insert Tim Allen grunt)  I love tools and being able to fix things myself. I'm looking to dedicate a toolbox bay in one of the cargo doors. I wanted some input from you guys on what "set up" you have. I'm going to tap into the air tanks for air tools instead of adding a compressor but I want a retractable hose reel for tires etc. Finding a toolbox big enough to have for this coach is going to be challenging. 

For a while I carried a big tool box, it was heavy and took a lot of space, I put it on a diet. Most of the tools I carried were never used while traveling. I carry enough air hose for the tires coiled up and secured in the slide out generator compartment. On my Dynasty there is an air hose fitting in the first pass thru compartment. Remember that all the weight you add with tool box and tools takes away from the carrying capacity of the coach. Having the coach weighed at the corners will give you numbers you can use for proper tire air pressure as well as capacity for figuring the weight of the tool box and tools.

Bill B 07 Dynasty

• Like 1

We have a pass through slide tray. 

Normally this piled up with dog X-pens for my wife. When I travel by myself I take out all the unnecessary "Stuff" that my wife insists on carrying, mostly to support the care and maintenance of the dogs. 

On my last trip I put a 4 drawer tool box on the passenger side of the pass through tray.  I loaded it up with an assortment of screw drivers, pliers and wrenches, electrical supplies, sockets and ratchets etc.  Also carry a small pancake compressor, I have the air connection near the propane tank but trying to top off tires with chassis air is not easy. 

Not sure how much it weighs but overall I travel much lighter then when my wife is with me. 

Down side is she's getting ready to go on a trip so I had to unload all my stuff so she could pack hers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

These things aren’t that bad…hose real and impact tools??? I have to add air to my tires a MAX of 2 times a year, usually just once. I use the Type C quick connection under front cap for the air and a cheap 25’ plastic spiral hose for the front tires. Have a 25’ rubber air hose to add for the back tires. I also use the rubber hose to supply propane to the fire pit or a single burner stove.

Fortunately I have a compartment (usually for house batteries and not the one easy to see below) just behind the tag axle that holds the majority of my mechanic’s tools and a 20T jack. Tool box is your normal top lift out tray with a area below.

Instead of a impact I have a good 20V drill and a smaller 4.8V drill/screwdriver that gets used the most. Lots of screws involved in most projects.

With 8000+ lbs of CCC, it’s impossible to overload a S-10 chassis, but you do need to load heavy items in the rear.

4826F1CF-DFB9-4450-ABDC-15C449DFC312.jpeg

Edited by Ivylog
  • Like 1

I did away with air tools and went with Milwaukee tools. Their large impact gun is the bomb. I use their stack out system that’s full of sockets, wrenches, and other power tools from their line up. The Stack out fits perfect in the slide out tray with a little room right spare for shovels and rock bar. 

16 hours ago, Trinidaddave said:

Tim, my Safari Gazelle has a air fitting inside the generator access door next to the front air drain valve.  I would check yours before adding a fitting. 

You might want to check that air fitting inside the generator access door. They are typically for the tow truck to put air into your system so that when you get towed the parking brake will release. As such they typically only let air in not out. At least that is how it works on my Dynasty.

4 hours ago, Tony G. said:

You might want to check that air fitting inside the generator access door. They are typically for the tow truck to put air into your system so that when you get towed the parking brake will release. As such they typically only let air in not out. At least that is how it works on my Dynasty.

You are correct, I have that fitting as well as an air fitting for general purpose use and a drain for removing moisture from the tank.  I use this frequently, Monaco provided it from the factory, I read somewhere all couches are not built the same.  I would have thought they all should come with that feature.  Mine has a compressor driven from my C9 Cat not an auxiliary compressor, not sure about Dynasty.

I subscribe to the theory, " If I have it, I probably won't need it, if I don't have it I will need it". Therefore, I carry a lot of tools. I have a 2-way slide out and I wanted to maintain it. So my tool box is 26" x 19.5" x 12"  it passes under the frame rails.

20211009_101851.jpg

20211009_101832.jpg

• Like 1