King Control Throttle System

This applies ONLY to mechanical, Cummins, diesels, such as the C8.3 with the King Throttle & Cruise Control.

As most know, there is NO longer any support for repairs to the King Control.

If it fails you will be faced with a conversion to a old fashion wire throttle or air throttle.

We have completed a conversion to an Air Throttle on a C8.3 and it works exactly has hoped.

If you have interest in an Air Throttle Conversion, please PM me, happy to share the information.

air throttle project (1).jpeg

air throttle project.jpeg

Edited by CRY1942
  • Like 1

I am interested in more info. I have a 96 Windsor with the King setup. I seem to be having some intermittent issues but it is at least still working. Also my cruise control just died on my last trip.

So it’s probably time to start looking for an alternative!

thanks,

Mike

96 Windsor C8.3 Mechanical

Hello:

I assume your engine is a Cummins and most likely being a 2003 coach you have an electronic engine; ISB, ISC or ISL ISX or maybe a M11 etc.

Monaco's from 1997 and earlier used Cummins with a mechanical fuel injection system which used the King Control for Throttle & Cruise Control.

1997/1998 seems to be the transition years from Cummins mechanical to electronic engines.

The Air Throttle Conversion was done on a Cummins, C8.3 with mechanical fuel injection to replace the King Throttle Control.

Paperwork with your coach should identify the engine model.

Regards

On 11/16/2021 at 4:23 AM, CRY1942 said:

Hello:

I assume your engine is a Cummins and most likely being a 2003 coach you have an electronic engine; ISB, ISC or ISL ISX or maybe a M11 etc.

Monaco's from 1997 and earlier used Cummins with a mechanical fuel injection system which used the King Control for Throttle & Cruise Control.

1997/1998 seems to be the transition years from Cummins mechanical to electronic engines.

The Air Throttle Conversion was done on a Cummins, C8.3 with mechanical fuel injection to replace the King Throttle Control.

Paperwork with your coach should identify the engine model.

Regards

I am sure that quite a few of my fellow Moacoers are in the early 2000s range of coaches. I believe that my 500hp Cummins is an ISL. I've been through a lot of paperwork over the years but don't remember seeing a section detailing the throttle control. 

Sooooo what say you group, where does one start this information hunt?

Thanks Ken

• Like 1

I  also am interested in a replacement for the King system.  I have a 1998 Executive with a 8.3 Mechanical pump.  I currently have issuers with the system and would like to replace with a newer serviceable system.  It looks like this subject is popular.  Could the information be placed in the downloads section for future reference?  My email is : hickerson.richard@gmail.com.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2021 at 11:02 AM, jimc99999 said:

I will likely be interested in this info at some point. Why not just share the info here so when people search for info they can find it?

Hi Jim

At this time, we do not have much to share.

Our effort to date is to determine if there is interest in a Basic Kit of Parts.

We have just gotten quotes back from our machine shop and hopefully will have more share very soon.

We are NOT a commercial company just two guys trying to help the RV Community.

It is our intention to make ONE RUN of parts and DONE, to be provided with detailed instructions with photos, parts list and sources of all parts.

Regards,

Charles

Air Throttle Parts List.pdf King Control Conversion to Air Throttle.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/17/2021 at 7:13 AM, Grampy OG said:

I am sure that quite a few of my fellow Moacoers are in the early 2000s range of coaches. I believe that my 500hp Cummins is an ISL. I've been through a lot of paperwork over the years but don't remember seeing a section detailing the throttle control. 

Sooooo what say you group, where does one start this information hunt?

Thanks Ken

Get the engine serial # and Call Cummins. 

15 hours ago, electrician57 said:

1998 Monaco diplomat dp 24valve cummings

where is the throttle control located on the frame rail, can’t seem to find it can’t see much from under the coach.

Steve,

I recently completed my conversion to an air throttle and be aware that if you remove the King unit you will likely need an electrical throttle position cable to provide the transmission that information for proper shifting.  I purchased a throttle position sensor assembly SKU 29507769 from Diesel Dash.  In my case I’ve got $3500 in parts and a few hours in labor.   It probably isn’t something you’d want to tackle on the road but it isn’t difficult except for having to lean over into the engine compartment from under the bed.  
The King Control unit actuates the throttle plate with a twisted steel cable that on ours became frayed and was hanging up.  I attempted to replace the steel cable that is operated with a small stepper motor but the electronic internals had become very brittle due to the heat and I didn’t think there was much hope of it being reliable.  
Charles (CRY42) was very helpful to me however his solution was for a Foretravel ( I think ) so it wasn’t exactly applicable to our Dynasty.  Also be aware that the King unit handles the cruise as well so if you remove it that goes away. 

Alan Bradley 

Guest Ray Davis
4 hours ago, Alanbb said:

Also be aware that the King unit handles the cruise as well so if you remove it that goes away. 

Many years ago I had a vehicle and the cruise stopped working so I installed an after-market cruise control.   As I recall it was actually a rather simple operation.  A tiny magnet attached to the drive shaft, a coil mounted up close to it sent info/speed to the brain, and a servo pulled a chain to control the throttle.   Possibly a similar device would work for you.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2499334.m570.l1311&_nkw=universal+cruise+control+kit&_sacat=6030

• 4 months later...

MODERATOR EDIT.

This post was moved to the last topic that discussed the issue and has the most recent information

END OF EDIT

Looking for conversion parts list and numbers for converting King Control to Williams air controller, someone had a kit or list previously a few years back on this forum, hoping someone may actually have the complete information to give for this conversion, thanks in advance for your help

• Like 1