2002 Windsor DRL

jacwjames

OK, after my experience trying to drive at night a couple weeks ago I've dug into my current lighting. 

At first I didn't think my Fog lights were working but in reality they were but they are so poor I couldn't even tell they were coming on.  I've got a set of LED Fog lights coming and want to be able to use them

Based on the way headlights and fog lights are wired the Fog lights only come on with the high beams, I'd like them to come on with low beams

So in my Front Drivers Side  Run Bay I thought I had a DRL relay but in reality that relay socket doesn't have a relay inserted. 

I have a Hella relay for the transmission brake sense.  I also have a Hamsar relay for the Alt Fail light.  I confirmed this looking at the labels on the wires going to each relay and comparing to my chassis wiring diagram. 

What options do I have to get my fog lights to come on with low beam lights??? 

Problem Solved

I've been communicating with Richard Smith and he had a solution.  There was a 4th relay (neatly tucked under other wires) that I had missed, it was the driving light relay.  He had installed a jumper in his across 2 terminals that elminated the relay.  Now the fog lights will come on with the Driving Light switch and the High/Low Beams with the headlight switch and/or smart wheel controller.

I've got a new set of Fog lights coming so it will be an easy install now.

So Life is Good, another problem solved.

Jim J

After driving in the dark a couple weeks ago I decided to do something about the poor headlights.  It was pitiful, every vehicle that passed me had better lights. 

My low beams worked by themselves.   When I turned on my high beams the driving (Fog) lights also came on but still provided very poor lighting.

There is a relay in the FRB labeled driving lights that I used a short piece of wire to jump across two of the terminals based on Richards guidance.  I believe he said that Fred White had recommended to him. 

Also in the front run bay is a DRL relay connection but I did not have a relay installed.  Richard said he installed one and it lasted a short time before it got hot and failed.  You can buy these relays on the internet, pretty expensive. 

I am going to install a set of these in place of the current fog lights.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PWLZDNH?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

So with the above changes I can run low beams by themselves, high beams separately, and then if I want I can flip on the driving lights with the low beams.  I'll have to check to see if they stay on with the high beams, ran out of time today. 

Jim J

They are driving lights, I'm old school and call them fog lights.

The lights that are there come on with the high beams, but neither was doing much to light my path driving in the dark.  I couldn't even tell that the driving lights were working.  Hopefully the new LED's will provide better light.  It that doesn't work I'll look at LED bulbs in the headlights.

Our coach had Hella FF300 fog lights that we rarely used.  I replaced them with Hella FF300 driving lights. They are very bright and help but only work on low beam. 

I need to figure out where you added the jumper wire so I can get them to work with both low and high beams.  

Here's a picture of the 4 relays that I've labeled.  The drivel light relay is in the lower left corner, I think you can see how the jumper was run, Richard Smith sent me a picture with the jumper. 

The other 3 relays are on the right side,  Tried to organize them a little and labeled all of them. 

Also are pictures showing the difference in the lighting, first one is the old light, second is the new, still have to try and aim them a little better.   New ones are definitely brighter, have to make sure the I have them aimed toward the front of the RV instead of toward oncoming traffic.   When I was driving in the dark I couldn't even tell that the driving lights were working. 

One odd thing was the wiring feeding the lights was reverse polarity, I guess it didn't matter with the old lights but LED's wouldn't work so I had to reverse the wires. 

FRB labeled relays.jpg

Halogen Light OLD.jpg

LED driving lights.jpg

Edited by jacwjames