Rotella Availability

I'm confident other oils are ok, but I've zeroed in on Rotella T6 for the next change.  All the local discount stores have been out of it for months.  Same for T4, which I use for the bike.

Anyone know why the shortage on Rotella product?

- bob

Noticed the same issue. Last change switched to Chevron Delo. All major oil companies are international so production can be made in any of a number of places. Shell has a blending facility right here in the New Orleans area, but that only packages 5 and 55 gal containers. At least that was the case when I worked there many years ago. I do know know specifically why there seems to be a shortage of motor oil at the current time, or why prices have shot through the roof the last year but I suspect it is a combination of weather related damage to oil refining and processing facilities in Louisiana combined with government policies enacted over the last year. COVID may have a little effect regarding trucking but most of the rest, well if anyone says it is do to COVID I think they are blowing smoke.

18 hours ago, cbr046 said:

I'm confident other oils are ok, but I've zeroed in on Rotella T6 for the next change.  All the local discount stores have been out of it for months.  Same for T4, which I use for the bike.

I used Rotella T6 in my Triumph Sprint for many years (40-50K miles), and then they changed their formula to include some friction modifiers that caused the wet clutch to slip a little. I had to switch to motorcycle-specific sythetic since I'm pretty sure Rotella T6 was the last diesel synthetic without friction modifiers.

So if your bike has a wet clutch you may want to skip the Rotella and go with something specific for motorcycle wet clutches. 

59 minutes ago, jimc99999 said:

I used Rotella T6 in my Triumph Sprint for many years (40-50K miles), and then they changed their formula to include some friction modifiers that caused the wet clutch to slip a little. I had to switch to motorcycle-specific sythetic since I'm pretty sure Rotella T6 was the last diesel synthetic without friction modifiers.

So if your bike has a wet clutch you may want to skip the Rotella and go with something specific for motorcycle wet clutches. 

Yeah, ran into that problem with my ST1100 when the Mobil1 green caps came out.  Switched to their MC counterpart oil . . . think they call it Racing 4T now.  They even came out with a V-twin specific oil.  Talk about marketing!

Been using T4 for over 5 years in the 2 stroke with no problems, changed every 200 miles.  Inexpensive compared to MC specific or MC transmission oils, and when you change it that often cost becomes significant.  Even one of the factory teams used T4, despite having their oil sponsor's logos on the bikes. 

I was using a MC specific transmission oil (Redline) but had to de-glaze the metal plates every 6 months or so.  Go figure

- bob

46 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

Yeah, ran into that problem with my ST1100 when the Mobil1 green caps came out.  Switched to their MC counterpart oil . . . think they call it Racing 4T now.  They even came out with a V-twin specific oil.  Talk about marketing!

I'd be curious if there were differences. I could see the engine stresses being a bit different between cruiser V-twins and sporty motors. I didn't really want to use Mobil1 but I was traveling and didn't feel like hunting down Redline or Motul. By about 1K miles into the first fill with the M1 Racing 4T the clutch no longer slipped in 2nd/3rd gear. 

Interesting about the 2-stroke not working well with Redline. I used to run only Redline tranny and diff fluids in my cars because it could hold up to track days, and Rotella T6 for the motors.  I was always curious about Royal Purple but always felt it was a little over-marketed, like the Lucas oil stuff.

• Like 1

I have used Rotella for years in my trucks and now motorhome. Wal Mart has it here but you may have to buy gallons instead of 2 1/2 gallon jugs. Tractor Supply carries it also. Dealers or shops that don't have it is because they have a deal or something going on with someone. I use to pick up a new truck at a dealership and it would have a Delo sticker at the oil fill tube. Stopped at truck stop and changed it out to Rotella on the way home.