Possible water leak

19 minutes ago, Wrayj1 said:

Chuck,  thanks for your post.  As I posted a couple of days ago after 10 minutes of back flushing no wzter spots appeared.  Also, we do laundry almost everyday and no sign of water spots during or after doing laundry. If anyone posts the waterline schematic I'll take a look at that as well.  Unless it worsens I'll wait until I'm back in Oregon in April and consult with Scott at Amazing Creations, Coburg, Or.  Scott worked for Monaco for several years and knows these coaches ingimately.

There is a shop in Harrisburg, OR that has ex Monoco employees called Elite - they have a great reputation. Eric used to work in the dept. that took care of trouble-shooting problem coaches for many years. If Scott can't fix it you might call Elite, I've used them a few times and after explaining my problem they have known right away what it was. I don't think that there is a problem that they haven't run across and fixed....I just wish they were in my area.🙂

38PDT Windsor. The washer is in the pass side rear corner and the leak is on the other side of the bed next to the wall that separates the shower form the bedroom , I think it is under the rug but it is also right next to the wall and could be soaking the rug from the other side of the wall.

Edited by Chuck D

I looked at a brochure and they don't show a 38PDT but I assume you have 2 front slides and a rear slide with a bed in it.   My thoughts

My bedroom may be configured the same way the washer dryer in the rear passenger side of the closet next to the wall under the TV.  Opposite my bed there is a base cabinet with drawers in it.  If you remove the bottom drawers you will probably see the hot/cold water lines and there will be the black pvc drain line for the washer.  Since you only have a leak when the washer is run there is probably a leak in the drain  line. 

In all there wisdom Monaco put down the carpeting prior to installing the cabinets and while under construction they had a heavy plastic covering on the carpeting.  They they put the water and drain lines on top of the plastic, then the cabinets.  So you could have a leak toward the washer but it's not migrating out until it gets to the base cabinet. 

Thanks guys, my unit is 40SKQ, 2 opposing bedroom slides and 2 opposing front slides.  My bathroom is on the passenger side with sink, shower, toilet, and washer dryer with approximately 36 inch hallway between bathroom and driver's side of coach.

On 1/22/2022 at 11:51 AM, Wrayj1 said:

Thanks guys, my unit is 40SKQ, 2 opposing bedroom slides and 2 opposing front slides.  My bathroom is on the passenger side with sink, shower, toilet, and washer dryer with approximately 36 inch hallway between bathroom and driver's side of coach.

Sorry Ray...I think I hijacked you post by accident.

In answer to Jim's question -

Yes the washer is in the RR next to the clothes closet. There is a base cabinet along the Pass side wall at the foot of the bed. The leak is about 5-6 inches from the driver side wall of the coach and to the north side of the bed, next to the shower wall (it's a double wall as it encloses a pocket door.)

Edited by Chuck D
Correction

• 3 weeks later...

2004 Windsor 38 PST

I'm still chasing down my water leak...and it's a bugger. After thinking several times I'd found the source it was back to the drawing board each time. I had tried to chase down all leads I'd received only to seemingly come to dead ends. The leak being somewhat intermittent didn't help. 

I finally totally dried out my carpet by using a hair dryer and then started to use my water drain sources to see if any of them would produce the leak. I started with the shower and this time I could feel water on the carpet next to the shower wall and I saw evidence of water under the shower though not much. We then tried the washer and saw more water...I actually saw some drip. This was also under the shower. I think the shower drain and the washer drain connect together under the shower. The water was dripping under the lowest pipe but I can't see to find the source. I finally got one of those inspection cameras so maybe that will help. All the drain pipes looked glued except the actual shower drain which is screwed on but no leak there. To top it off, if I'm lucky enough to find the leak, I can't see how in the world to access it much less work on it...I can only get one hand at a time under the shower.

If anyone has done this repair before I would be in your debt if you can help me with it.

Guest Ray Davis
On 1/22/2022 at 1:45 PM, Chuck D said:

Good info Jim.

My unit is a 38PST, PDT came from my faulty memory. I have a split bath with toilet and sink on the pass. side and the shower on the driver side.

Morning Chuck,

I have an 03 Windsor PST but my shower is on the pass side, seems like they would be the same.  Anyway, I had a leak from my shower.  It was a long time ago, so my memory is a little dim on the subject, mostly I remember how hard it was to get to and all the cuts & scrapes.  

Monaco used some really cheap plastic water fittings that will crack if stressed a little.  Mine was cracked at my shower control valve.   I had a kitchen wall pantry cabinet opposite the shower, it had a removable side wall panel that allowed me to see the shower valve.  I enlarged the hole enough to get one arm inside, it was very difficult to work blind and I have scars to remind me.

I also found one of those same fittings in a basement where a mouse chewed a microscopic hole causing a leak that I couldn't see but felt on my hand.

23 minutes ago, Chuck D said:

Ray...Thanks for responding.

My leak is a drain leak (95% sure) so I have to find the exact spot and work under the shower...no easy task. I will hire a hapless tech to do the work as I'm incapable 🙂 .

Mix up some food coloring dye and induce into the areas where you suspect a leak. Works well. I had the same experience Ray Davis did behind the mixer valve in the shower. 

• 2 years later...

Never know for certain where to post a question. But here goes. Hopefully someone else has tackled this issue. The shower drain trap is leaking. Trying to figure out the best way to access the shower trap in our 2009 Monaco Dynasty. Tried accessing through the top but the drain flange is smooth with no notches or crossbars to unscrew the flange.  Shall we enlarge the access beneath the shower to reach the trap or cut out these drawer dividers to the left of the shower and try to access that way?

IMG_6154.jpeg

IMG_6155.jpeg

IMG_6156.jpeg

IMG_6157.jpeg

With the elevated portion below the drawers I'm not sure you'll be able to get to the drain.  My guess is that the elevated platform has the drain and water supply for the washer/dryer so you'd have to contend with that also.

Have you looked underneath to see if there is an access cover? 

Mount as close as you can to the drain so you can reach it.  https://www.amazon.com/SEAFLO-Round-Inspection-Hatch-Detachable/dp/B00MWQ75L2

You might consider getting a

Here is a picture of the drain based on the patent number on it.  There is a large threaded nut on the bottom.  If you can loosen it, pry the drain up, clean, and put a bead of caulk under it and then tighten the large nut it might seal the leak.  Normally you'd use plumbers putty but doubt you could get it underneath unless you can loosen the nut a lot.  

US3742525-drawings-page-2.pdf

Well, here’s how we fared. Was able to remove the two pieces of the drawer frame and managed to slither back there and shine a light onto the shower valve. There was a Dorman-style plug at the base of the valve that was leaking. I could not turn the plug at all to tighten. So, I wound up applying silicone adhesive.  Not necessarily proud of that solution. But we’ll see. 

IMG_6166.jpeg

Good job. Just for future reference., that section of cabinet was built to be removable. You can see how it is radiused where it meets the other section. Remove the screws along the side and wiggle while searching for any additional screws, remove them and it will slide out to gain more access

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1