Cummins engine diagnostics

I am interested in having our 350 Cummins Turbo connected to a computer to check diagnostics.
Don't want to spend money needlessly, what would I ask for to do a basic power and engine performance diagnostic ?
RV runs fine although I noticed a slight lack of pulling power while in Oregon last summer.
I expect it might have something to do with the Bio-diesel mandated in diesel fuel in Oregon but have never had diagnostics checked in the 12 years we have owned RV.

Is Cummins the best place for engine diagnostics ?

Make sure the dealer you use is part of the Cummins authorized Distributorship dealer network.  The work they do on your Cummins engine should be warrantied for 45 days.  That warranty will be honored at ANY distributorship dealer in the USA.

How do you know what needs to be done especially in the ECM software if you do not pull the codes?

First thing I would do is be sure your fuel filters have been changed, usually if your losing power. Be sure the air cleaner is good. Also make sure your fuel in the tank is good meaning no "algae"! IMHO, going to Cummins to have them run a diagnostics is an opportunity for your wallet to MT

When I first bought my coach it did not have any maintenance records.  I drove it from FL to TN without a problem but the very first thing I did was take it to the local Cummins shop where I had them do a full service and check the ECM for any codes/problems.  Cummins manager gave me a the results including a download of the ECM parameters in both printed and CD form.  It has all the settings the ECM was set for, if something happens in the future another shop can take this info and recreate the ECM much easier the from scratch. 

I did not have any codes and or indications of a problem.

Since then I've purchased and use a Silverleaf VMS PC monitoring program that will show diagnostic history.  Back in Aug 2021 out the blue my coach started to stumble at idle, didn't show a CEL but the Silverleaf did have a fault code, something to do with fuel pressure.  Hasn't come up again but I'm always monitoring the Silverleaf, I would not leave home without it or something equivalent. 

Edited by jacwjames

49 minutes ago, ktloah said:

First thing I would do is be sure your fuel filters have been changed, usually if your losing power. Be sure the air cleaner is good. Also make sure your fuel in the tank is good meaning no "algae"! IMHO, going to Cummins to have them run a diagnostics is an opportunity for your wallet to MT

Cummins has Never Treated me that way.  they have been open and above board about their service.  

They tell me what they recommend and leave the choice up to me.

I went to Cummins for a computer printout. It was like pulling teeth to get it. Any shop with the Insite software can run it. When I finally got it in an email, I sent it to Frank McElroy and he ran it thru his Insite software and printed the 50+ pages for me.

9 hours ago, Gary M said:

I went to Cummins for a computer printout. It was like pulling teeth to get it. Any shop with the Insite software can run it. When I finally got it in an email, I sent it to Frank McElroy and he ran it thru his Insite software and printed the 50+ pages for me.

I guess having friends in high places helped me.  The Cummins Manager had worked for me as Maintenance Superintendent, we had a very good working relationship.  So when I called and talked to him he was more then happy to help and told the shop foreman to take "special" care of me.  He's the one that told them to make sure to give me the copies.   When I went to pick up the rig he took time to go over everything with me.   I use to stop in any time I was near and we'd BS, great guy. 

• Like 1