Tire covers

We now have about 8 months of ownership of our MH. Spent January in Corpus Christi and February in Brownsville so saw a lot of different motor homes. Wanting to make cloth tire covers. There is the traditional cover that is fits fairly tight over the tire. Also saw a lot of covers that were flat panels with snaps that went on the outside of the wheel well. This would typically require drilling a hole for the snaps on the out side of the body. wondering if anyone has come up with a method using maybe 3/4" PVC pipe as a "curtain rod" at the top of the panel that hangs on a bracket or something on the inside of the wheel well. We store the motor home in an enclosed bay so it is only outside when we travel.

IMHO cloth or vinyl tire covers are basically useless as they do not shield your tires from damaging UV radiation.  We recently had covers made in Donna, Texas with bubble foil insulation installed on the inside of the covers.  This was done at the DonWes flea market.  The foil bubble insulation was purchased online.  The shop provided the other material and the labor.  We a very happy with the result and our new tires are protected.

image.jpeg

thumbnail-2.jpeg

I disagree that cloth or vinyl do not work. In my experience, the vinyl works great. Our previous tires lasted 8 years and, much as I looked, I never found any cracks in the sidewall or the tread. We only replaced them because of age and that we did not want to risk a tire age issue while on our roadtrip.

• 10 months later...

I also believe in all that vinyl has to offer. Purchased four Explor Land tire covers for protection from the southern NV heat. Ordered recommended sizes and they fit perfectly. Wrap the tire close to the ground for all-around protection. It's been a year and they're holding up well.

Tire covers prevent the drying out of the sidewalls from direct UV sunlight. Any shading, even cardboard will work.

That is NOT a 100% fix.  Yes, covering helps, but the best fix is to drive the motorhome for maybe an hour to get the tire heated up to normal highway conditions.  The tire manufacturers typically state to do this. The heat and flexing from driving causes the natural oil in the tire to be secreted and that replenishes the surface and provides UV protection. The environment outside also deteriorates the side walls in addition to the direct UV radiation 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dalton07 said:

There is no denying that RV tire covers can contribute a lot to maintaining their good condition for a long time while also improving their overall performance.

Yes, but most tire companies say the best and most effective method, in all of their sites and from talking to the Bridgestone Commercial and Industrial Tire Engineering Manager, who also owns a MH.  DRIVE IT PERIODICALLY.  That flexes and pushes out the naturally protective UV oils in the rubber. Yes, tire covers help outside, but they can’t keep out all the contaminants as well as offset heat and cold.  We have several members that have barns and drives the MH periodically.  That is the ultimate.  

Tom, I agree tire covers do help as I have them as well but getting out and driving at least once a month to exercise the tires as well as the engine is the best preventative maintenance you can do. Nobody puts tire covers on there cars because we drive them all the time. You rarely see side wall cracks on car tires because they don’t need them and we replace them only when the tread gets worn out. It’s just the opposite for Motorhome tires we often replace them even though the tread is great it’s more about the age then anything else because we don’t use them as much.