Big Boy Relay

hbr509

Before you buy one I would suggest taking a few minutes and clean it. The issue that usually occurs is that the dielectric grease that is used drys out over time and prevents the unit from properly functioning. Disassembly is real easy. Open it up, clean it well, sand the contacts and reapply some dielectric grease and you’ll be good to go. 

2 hours ago, 1nolaguy said:

Pardon my ignorance but I have seen numerous references to the "Big Boy Relay". Can someone please tell me what this is / does?

Always looking to learn.

The Big Boy relay is located in the rear run bay and basically bridges the house and Coach battery banks as needing during the charging process and when depressing the “battery boost” switch on the dash. 

I just removed my Big Boy relay and cleaned the contacts and reinstalled. All is working fine again. I did purchase one from Amazon an will be keeping it as a spare as parts are getting scarce. I do have a word of caution when doing the removal. As suggested I unhooked shore power, turned off inverter, an both battery switches. I got surprised taking out a bolt when my socket touched a copper bar sparks flew. I ended up removing the negative cables on the house batterys. This forum has helped me so much with all my fixes maybe this will help someone .  Thanks 

7 hours ago, RS lakeshore said:

I just removed my Big Boy relay and cleaned the contacts and reinstalled. All is working fine again. I did purchase one from Amazon an will be keeping it as a spare as parts are getting scarce. I do have a word of caution when doing the removal. As suggested I unhooked shore power, turned off inverter, an both battery switches. I got surprised taking out a bolt when my socket touched a copper bar sparks flew. I ended up removing the negative cables on the house batterys. This forum has helped me so much with all my fixes maybe this will help someone .  Thanks 

Return it and buy one with silver contacts. Well worth the additional $$$. Lasts much longer .

My 08 Camelot has the Big Boy solenoid controlled by the BIRD. Maybe someone can chime in as to a 07 Dynasty being the same or different. 

Both the Big Boy And the BIRD are listed on Amazon, assuming you need one or the other. There are other sellers available, so check the pricing.

D1DF6FC9-0F97-4361-95E4-FB9237504E75.jpeg

E11B1614-C71B-4DEB-B555-636157AB3238.jpeg

Related question for the group.  Do you start your coach while plugged in, or do you disconnect from shore power first? 

Just curious as my Big Boy would normally be connecting both banks together while plugged in ( observing that the isolation relay led on RR box is lit even with ignition on).  If I unplug from shore the led indicator goes out as I expect, and after cranking to start the CAT it stays out for a few seconds before coming on to indicate the alternator is now charging both banks (and Aladdin house display agrees).  Anyway, my unproven theory is that when on shore power some of your cranking amps is always going through the Big Boy.  Guess I should get DW to crank it sometime while on shore power as I watch that led. Seems to make sense in my mind that it actually takes detection of current from the alternator to sense a dual charging source (to disconnect) as I've run 300+ miles on the house generator only when the engine alternator gave up the ghost in the middle of nowhere.  If it only detected switched ignition I'm thinking my chassis bats would have died during that drive with no alternator.

BTW, I bought a Big Boy several years ago while I cleaned/tested the old one to carry it as a spare ... thinking I'd rather just swap them on a trip rather than cleaning it on a picnic table on the road.  Every couple of years while at home base, I clean and reapply conducting anti oxidant internally "just because". An hour at home is worth preventing frustration on the road.