Ac power to outlets,no lights

WayneC

Ran the inverter for 8 hours powering the fridge,came back to the coach and started the generator, I assume the batteries were low,let it run for an hour or so,shut it down,turn the mode back to ac,fired the generator back up,all the receptacles work but no lights,when I turn the rocker switch to check battery status, nothing, breakers are all good,inverter light is on in the bay,tired what I'm I missing?

Wayne

1999 Signature ceaser 

Omg,I am so tired and embarrassed, been running this rig for how long and missed the obvious!!, old man should have used the flash light this morning when he left,probably switched it off then,

Thanks Jim, all good!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So today I was packing up to leave the coach for 6 weeks,I had the generator running to ensure the batteries would be fully charged then shut off master switches and hook up solar panels to keep them excited while I am away, I was pulling in the bedroom slide with generator on ,when I got it in for some reason I lost power to the lights,toilet ,I pulled the galley slide in.I checked breakers all good,Checked inverter in the basement and no power anywhere,had to leave to get on the plane,any ideas,maybe I needed to turn the inverter on from inside the coach? Or when I turn the master switch back on will it turn all power back on ?

Any thoughts 

Thanks

Wayne 

1999 Signature ceaser 

My disconnect switches cut the power for the House and Chassis Batteries.  The inverter is powered through the disconnect switch so if you turned it off no power to inverter.

But if you are leaving it parked for that long turning off the disconnects is the best thing to do.  The solar should keep batteries charged. 

4 hours ago, WayneC said:

That is correct,I did not turn off the disconnect switches when I lost power to the entire system. I am missing something 

Thanks 

Wayne 

1999 Signature ceaser 

Look at your prints.  Not saying your comments are incorrect, but many Monaco’s are wired as follow.

The house positive goes to a 2 terminal buss.  That buss, terminal 1, feeds a 300 amp fuse which is the fused connection to the inverter.  

The other connection, terminal 2, goes to the House battery disconnect switch.  The disconnect switch then is connected to a buss with multiple high current fuses.  One is the generator starting, assuming your generator starts from the house.  If it is the Chasis, a similar fuse is therefor starting.the fuse.  

Mine has four large fuses.  The Genny.  The “House” fuse which goes directly to the salesman switch.  Did you bypass or remove that from the circuit?  The reason, ALL of the power for the house goes through the idiotic salesman switch.  The output from it goes to a terminal strip or buss.  One output from this buss will go to the low amperage distribution panel..  Typically 5-20 amp fuses. This typically has the lights….maybe the rear only….it depends.  The other terminal will go to a buss with resettable breakers for things like electric slide motors.  There is usually a 30-40 Amp breaker that provides power to the rear slide distribution control board.  Thus, if there is a bad House Switch or bad connections or a faulty resettable breaker or loose connections, it is common to see a lower demand (lights) circuit drop out.  The fix is to make sure, bypass or replace the House battery switch.  Then bypass the salesman switch.  Then find the house distribution buss and tighten all the connections.  Check or bypass the resettable breaker to the rear slide control board.  Check the terminals on the rear slide board…the largest wire will be the incoming power.  There are 4 terminals, row on each side, that go to the motors…. The smaller wires or connections are the control wiring.

Finally, the house buss, also may have high current fuses to things like hydraulic slides.  In my case, there is a large fuse going to a front PCB…that acts like a front house power distribution panel.  Again, depending on the state of charge or battery condition, if you put a heavy load, like 100 amps from a hydraulic slide, then a loose connection or bad contacts can drop out or flicker things like lights.

I think you asked about turning off the inverter.  If it is like most, the interior panel is a control one.  The inverter is actually in a “standby” mode…. Even with no AC LOAD, it draws power.  Now, it IS charging if you have incoming AC.  BUT to totally turn off the inverter, which also kills, the charging circuit, you have to disconnect the battery.  In my case, pull the positive off the House.  That also kills charging the Chassis As I have dual charging.

Bottom line, lights flickering or going off MAY NOT BE the sign of bad batteries.  It usually indicates a bad connection or bad contacts in a component.  If you have the original house battery switch, that would be “the usual” suspect.  Getting rid or bypassing the salesman switch is easy.  If the problem persists after those row are eliminated, then following the circuit downstream is the trouble shooting process.  

There ain’t no magic answer….JUST understanding the current path and where the connections are and them fixing or bypassing and doing PM.

Tom

That makes total sense,when I brought the bedroom slide in and held the switch for a second that's when I lost power. So in saying that I probably blew the breaker,I have all my books in the coach, I am now 1000 miles away,would that be the big round fuses in the engine compartment? Would like to purchase what I may need  before I head back.

Thanks for the help 

Wayne 

1999 Signature ceaser 

1 hour ago, WayneC said:

Tom

That makes total sense,when I brought the bedroom slide in and held the switch for a second that's when I lost power. So in saying that I probably blew the breaker,I have all my books in the coach, I am now 1000 miles away,would that be the big round fuses in the engine compartment? Would like to purchase what I may need  before I head back.

Thanks for the help 

Wayne 

1999 Signature ceaser 

As a “generic”, but getting more experienced in trouble shooting, I cant help you on where the fuses and breakers are.  Typically, and again, generically….but after downloading the 2001 Executive manual, it appears that your rear run bay is incorporated in the “engine compartment”.  The left panel has the resettlable ones,  the right panel has the salesman switch,  but I can’t tell where the high current fuses are.  You may have the “round” ones on all circuits,  Google Bussmann ANL and that is what was being used later on.  The shorter, stubby 300A fuse on mine goes to the inverter, but the longer Bussmann, which you can see the fused link, were used for lower currents such as 200, 150, 125…

Others will have to help you.  If your electric bed slide resettable CB is there, then it looks easy to change.  Your slide relay panel is probably inside and hidden.

that’s as much as I can help without being there….hope others can chime in.

2 hours ago, WayneC said:

Thanks Tom

Hopefully Ivan or Vitto see the post ,they have similar units

Thanks again 

Wayne 

1999 Signature ceaser 

Wayne, here is what I could get. I only have a single slide, no control board, just straight wiring,  hydraulic. Took a pic of the fuses on high current plate. Can't read part numbers because of the bus bars. 

20220516_180451.jpg

IMG_20220516_175836951_HDR.jpg