New member looking for tire advice

iHaveBeenAround

Hello Everyone,

I have just purchased 2002 Monaco Monarch 34SBD. It needs a set of new tires. The current ones are Michelin XRV 235/80R22.5. The lowest pricing on those I saw was about $540 per tire no matter the brand.

Searching over the tubes I came across Tire Size Calculator and some forums suggesting to use 245/75R22.5. Those are about $150 cheaper per tire comparing to 235/80, a nice saving 🤑.

image.thumb.png.e93168feaa77a80bb839b6587bbcc734.png

The RV is not at my place yet so no easy access to measure now, but has anyone used those 245/75 over 235/80?

If matters that coach is Workhorse chassis.

Thank you.

I'd go with whatever is on the placard under the driver's window.  JMO.

There's a lengthy conversation on irv2 with lots of opinions & choices.  Toyos seem to be the preferred brand. 

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/michelin-vs-toyo-tires-578124.html

Also, there's a tire installer that will come to your door and mount & balance tires onsite.  I forget the name . . .

- bob

I have the exact same coach only a 2003 year model. The label inside the coach calls for a 235/80RX22.5. I'm running Toyo 245/75R22.5 M154 tires. They are 8 years old, have around 50k miles on them and have no cracks and have given me absolutely no problems. They are however to the point where I plan to replace them this summer. I will be replacing them with the same tires. I like Toyos and you know what they say, "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

I hope this helps and good luck finding a good price. I'll be doing the same thing very soon.

4 hours ago, iHaveBeenAround said:

Thank you Tom, mine placard says the same. So I just got set of 6 of Toyo 245/75R22.5 M154, total with balancing and installation $2,600 out the door.

That sounds great Edgar! Can you tell me where you got them?

8 hours ago, iHaveBeenAround said:

Les Schwab in Portland, OR . . .

503-777-1447
Portland, OR 97266
503-777-1447

Is that Les location for RV's & big vehicles are did they work you in?  We don't have Les Schwab here and I hadn't planned on contacting auto tire stores.

- bob

Les Schwab has tire stores all over the West. I've never seen one that doesn't service trucks and RVs. They even have service trucks for road calls. I like to buy my RV tires from them because I live in the West and when I'm traveling they seem to be almost everywhere. If you buy your tires from them they usually will fix flats for free. Even 3 or 4 states away from where I purchased my tires they have handled warranty issues without my paperwork. I was in the computer.

Edited by Tom Wallis

8 hours ago, Tom Wallis said:

Les Schwab has tire stores all over the West. I've never seen one that doesn't service trucks and RVs. They even have service trucks for road calls. I like to buy my RV tires from them because I live in the West and when I'm traveling they seem to be almost everywhere. If you buy your tires from them they usually will fix flats for free. Even 3 or 4 states away from where I purchased my tires they have handled warranty issues without my paperwork. I was in the computer.

I have Tyron Bands on the Steers.  Had a Bridgestone fail, as in unexplained outer rib almost vanished from the RF Steer in 2000 miles on a trip from NC to CA in 2018.  This, to my knowledge, was the only reported Bridgestone failure here.  All others fine.  I did a lot of talking and research…..and talked to Barry at Josams’s…the expert.  He gave me specs on Toe In that I could measure in the field.  He had aligned it around 6K.  Had no wear on the OEM GY.  Replaced at 20K.  So the Bridgestones had 35K or so.  Barry reported seeing the exact sporadic failure showing up in his shop.

I decided to go with the Toyo M144.  Found a Schwab shop east of Sacramento that had them in stock and had a tech that had installed tires with Tyron Bands.  I had the “kit” and we, yes….I worked in the shop with him, did the install.

Highly recommend Schwab, but talk to the tech and make sure they specialize in truck tires….and have a speed balancer.  I am pleased with the Toyo….just put 4 on the back and the Bridgestone were like new….even with 45K on them....so MAYBE the newer, different model will be OK...but the Toyo's seem to ride a bit better or maybe we were nor confident without the "MAY POP" on the front.  Certainly NO deterioration in handling or ride...

22 hours ago, iHaveBeenAround said:

Hello Everyone,

I have just purchased 2002 Monaco Monarch 34SBD. It needs a set of new tires. The current ones are Michelin XRV 235/80R22.5. The lowest pricing on those I saw was about $540 per tire no matter the brand.

Searching over the tubes I came across Tire Size Calculator and some forums suggesting to use 245/75R22.5. Those are about $150 cheaper per tire comparing to 235/80, a nice saving 🤑.

image.thumb.png.e93168feaa77a80bb839b6587bbcc734.png

The RV is not at my place yet so no easy access to measure now, but has anyone used those 245/75 over 235/80?

If matters that coach is Workhorse chassis.

Thank you.

Please consider weighing the coach After you have the new tires mounted. You may want to use this as a guide to do that.

Weigh the coach. Four , or Six corner weight is the best, but single axle weights will be OK too. Fuel and water full. Black and grey tanks empty with your stuff on board. CAT scales at many truck stops. Tell the clerk you want to weigh a coach. There is an intercom at the scale so you can communicate with the clerk. There will be 3 platforms for 3 axles. Steer axle on the first, Drive on the second, and if applicable, Tag on the third. Get the print out from the clerk. IF you have a tag axle, you may have to adjust your DOWN pressure to move weight as needed, and after adjusting your down pressure on the tag, REWEIGH the coach. Now go to YOUR tire Mfg. inflation charts for the correct COLD inflation.
Tire Inflation Tables

Kuhmo tires have been OEM on Mercedes trucks since 2013. Seeing more of them on coaches in the Midwest. 

Our 2005 LaPalma came with the same tire size as yours, but it had 255/70-22.5 when we bought it. I went through FMCA’s tire program and bought a set of Michelin XRV 235/80-22.5…mounted and balanced out the door was $3895.21 for six tires. The cost per tire mounted and balanced was $580.59

The tires should arrive tomorrow and I’m having them installed at Jack’s Tire & Oil, in Boise.

The current tires on the rig are Constellation, made by Alliance Tire Group, which is now owned by Yokohama, as I understand it. I didn’t like the difference in my speedometer reading, added to the fact that I can’t find a DOT date code to save my life on those tires, but I do know they were installed in 2019.

Edited by FLynes

12 hours ago, FLynes said:

Our 2005 LaPalma came with the same tire size as yours, but it had 255/70-22.5 when we bought it. I went through FMCA’s tire program and bought a set of Michelin XRV 235/80-22.5…mounted and balanced out the door was $3895.21 for six tires. The cost per tire mounted and balanced was $580.59

What's the weight rating difference between those two tires?

50 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

What's the weight rating difference between those two tires?

Constellation 255/70-22.5: 5510lbs - single @120psi; 5070lbs - dual @120psi....this is a 16-ply tire.

I keep the factory inflation specs on the tires....100psi front and 95psi rear, and I don't like them one bit.

Michelin 235/80-22.5: 4675lbs - single @110psi; 4410lbs - dual @110psi....this is a 14-ply tire.

Edited by FLynes

1 minute ago, 96 EVO said:

So your steer axle weighs in below 9,350 lbs ?

Yes, per the brochure it comes in at 9,000 and rear is 15,500.

That would be too close for my comfort.

Could easily have a 6 or700lb imbalance from drivers side to passenger side. Forward bay on my coach, directly behind the fuel tank has the 100gal fresh tank on the drivers side, and only the Aqua Hot to balance it on the passenger side.

I'm fairly sure if I'm travelling with a full load of water, I'm likely several hundred pounds heavier on the drivers front.

26 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

That would be too close for my comfort.

Could easily have a 6 or700lb imbalance from drivers side to passenger side. Forward bay on my coach, directly behind the fuel tank has the 100gal fresh tank on the drivers side, and only the Aqua Hot to balance it on the passenger side.

I'm fairly sure if I'm travelling with a full load of water, I'm likely several hundred pounds heavier on the drivers front.

With ours being the W24 gasser, we don’t have that worry. I did a lot of thinking, read a lot of articles and did even more research, before I made my decision to go with the stock size. It just rides way too harshly with the current size/ply.