Roof maintenance 2004 Monaco Windsor

14 minutes ago, tmw188 said:

Has any used 303 on their roof after cleaning the roof? I’ve used the Top Side paint on a different mh but only where the paint clear and color had aged terribly. 

In the past, our “seasoned experts” were “Mop & Glo” advocates. It was applied perhaps every 3 months.  The roof, at least on my Camelot, has only the base gelcoat.  That is a thin sprayed on coating that is applied or sprayed into the interior of the roof mold.  Typically there is a waxed (used to be hand applied when i worked at a boat factory) application or coating on the mold.  Now, they are probably sprayed with a “mold release compound”.  Then the mold is sprayed with a paint like gelcoating.  That gelcoat is formulated to crosslink or chemically bond to the polyester resin.  In the boating industry, it was applied much thicker and resembled a really heavy coating of “bumpy” latex paint.  Thus, when the molded part was “popped” out, there was a thick, durable epoxy like finish….high gloss and very durable.

After doing a long stint, while a manufacturing engineer, working with commercial coatings, I suspect that the gelcoat that Monaco used was formulated to cross link or “adhere like glue” with the “full body paint” and that is why it chalks and streaks.

I use 303 as a headlight sealer when I restore a family member or friend’s hazed over clear lens.  But, personally, it would not, IMHO, do much.  Repeated mopping of “Mop n Glo” would be easier to apply and much cheaper.  

The previous posts about commercial coatings are correct.  I often used “Top Coat” as a preservative for commercial EPDM roofs.  Cheap and lasts.  That’s my take….others may, probably will, have dissenting opinions…LOL

I am a Rustoleum Top Side proponent. I did my roof maybe 5 years ago now and it still looks perfect with absolutely zero maintenance other than washing it once a year wish soap and a soft brush.  The last thing I want to be doing is getting on the roof so any regiment that requires reapplying it multiple time a year would certainly be off my list

• Like 2