Roof maintenance 2004 Monaco Windsor

My 2002 Windsor has a fiberglass roof, I believe your 2004 has the same

Check all you seams looking for cracks etc.  Dicor makes a lap sealant that works pretty good but do your own research and see what works for you.

One problem with the fiberglass roof is that overtime it develops a chalky white dust on it that shows up on the sides of the motorhome after a rain.

Over the last several years I had read more and more of people using the Rustoleum Topside fiberglass paint on the  roof so last year I decided to try it.  It recommends cleaning the roof good so I used a small lower pressure type pressure washer on it with a rotary concrete cleaning head.  This worked great on the big areas and the tight spots I used the nozzle.  I then sanded with 100 grit sandpaper everywhere.  Taped off the edges and around anything I didn't want to get paint on.  Then used a 6" foam roller and small brush around vents etc and painted the whole roof, let it dry for a day and then did another coat.  Came out great but time will tell if it was worth the effort, it's only been a year and the roof still looks good but need longer to know if it will last. 

• Like 2

I did the rustoleum top coat two years ago. Just inspected this past weekend and looks great. remember to check seals around vents etc a couple times a year. The thing i like about the topcoat is it rinses off really well making clean up a breeze. I cleaned up really well with dawn soap and red scotch brite pads to scuff, put two coats over two days. holding up really well in So California sun.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jacwjames said:

If you use the Rustoleum Topside paint it took me 2 quarts to do two coats.  No primer required. 

I bought mine at Lowes

Just checking…. 2 quarts? Or 2 gallons?  My notes from the Gathering say 2 gallons, but I may have written it down wrong.

I’m a Rustoleum Top Side believer also.  I cleaned and painted my roof about 4 yrs ago. Only maintenance has been a soap and water wash with a soft brush every Spring and it still looks like the day I applied it. I used 2 qts also. 

Good to hear everyone saying 2 quarts, I bought 3 just to be safe. I would have bought a gallon but couldn't find one since I hate buying paint by the quart.

Just got done scrubbing the roof down with dawn. Barely beat the hot sun. Still need to wash the sides and put the coach inside.

When I masked mine I went about 1/4” onto the paint surface so the TopSide overlapped it to seal that paint line and hopefully protect the clearcoat a bit from lifting. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Scotty Hutto said:

Just checking…. 2 quarts? Or 2 gallons?  My notes from the Gathering say 2 gallons, but I may have written it down wrong.

Yep. Just using rounded out #'s, say 8' wide X 40' long, 320 Sq. Ft.  , and just a quart????  

Some ppl use screeningeeneering! Ha Ha!

• 1 month later...

I just finished the first coat of rustoleum topside.

It took a little over a quart. I bought 3 so I have plenty thankfully.

I have 3 ac's, 3 roof vents, sat dish, tv antenna, skylight up there so I decided to brush it all. Still not sure if that was the right decision but I'm sticking with it.

Boy is that a job for a 65 year old, I should have taken better care of myself when working for the man instead of laying it all out for them.

2-3 days I'll give it the 2nd coat.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 12:16 PM, jacwjames said:

If you use the Rustoleum Topside paint it took me 2 quarts to do two coats.  No primer required. 

I bought mine at Lowes

How important do you think it is to give 2 coats? I know it's the smart thing to do but I'm having a real hard time getting up there and doing the 2nd one.

On 7/2/2022 at 9:43 AM, Scotty Hutto said:

I stand corrected; my notes are wrong.  I’m just glad this thread came up before I bought 2 gallons! 😂

Your notes might not be as bad as you think. I was just reading the facebook Monaco Owners forum and someone asked a roof question.

Chris T. Talin (forget his name here) said they use a gallon and a half for 2 coats and put it on thick. Rustoleum top coat wasn't mentioned though, I think maybe they use dicor coating.

On the rustoleum though I did use just a little over a quart for the first coat.

3 minutes ago, FishAR said:

Your notes might not be as bad as you think. I was just reading the facebook Monaco Owners forum and someone asked a roof question.

Chris T. Talin (forget his name here) said they use a gallon and a half for 2 coats and put it on thick. Rustoleum top coat wasn't mentioned though, I think maybe they use dicor coating.

On the rustoleum though I did use just a little over a quart for the first coat.

Thar would be our illustrious Chris Throgmartin….owner and Founder of Talin.  He was a member that made replacement toppers for awnings and then just “morphed”.  I had his new, then, vinyl toppers installed at an RV shop in his home town of Brooksville, FL.  He started doing slide “inspections” and designed and developed the “Guardian Plates”.  He eventually expanded into a repair and installation shop and has two or more techs.  

He is an asset to the group.  My 2015 toppers are still good as new….and work and have no perceptible wear.  I have purchased and installed 3m sets of his plates.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

Thar would be our illustrious Chris Throgmartin….owner and Founder of Talin.  He was a member that made replacement toppers for awnings and then just “morphed”.  I had his new, then, vinyl toppers installed at an RV shop in his home town of Brooksville, FL.  He started doing slide “inspections” and designed and developed the “Guardian Plates”.  He eventually expanded into a repair and installation shop and has two or more techs.  

He is an asset to the group.  My 2015 toppers are still good as new….and work and have no perceptible wear.  I have purchased and installed 3m sets of his plates.

He gives a lot of good info on the facebook page, helps a lot to cut through the stupidity.

I did not remove my sealing material either. Where I did paint over it the paint has cracked. It hasn’t harmed the integrity of the seal material, just may look like there’s an issue to some. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Martinvz said:

Question for those that have painted the coach roofs. Before painting, did you remove all the old self leveling compound and reseal using the same or Eternabond?

I'm pretty sure it's recommended to do so, but mine all looked good so I just painted over it.