2003 Dynasty entry door gas shock

I have a 2003 Dynasty and was wondering if anyone has retrofitted the entry door with a gas shock.  If you could give me some info on the shock and mounting I would appreciate the help.  I'm thinking it would be a big improvement to open the door to a full 90 degrees and control the movement.

I did the door on my Monarch about 4 years ago. I just figured it out on my own. My door is slightly different but it's the same principle. I agree with Cory, it' a huge improvement. I had thought about doing a video on it but I never got around to it. Those darn round-to-its.

3 hours ago, klcdenver said:

Go to this link it will have all the info you need. I have done it to 2 motor homes and works well.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/gas-door-prop-installed-241214.html

100% on the money. I did this to my 2000 Signature and it is one of the best upgrade mods yet. I agree with the author in the link regarding measure and check before drilling.

I have looked at the post and the PDF file on how to install this a dozen times.  I can't seem to make it work in my head.   Could someone post a picture or 2 at different angles of the door open and the gas strut extended?   Without the original door swing arm in place, it seems like the door could keep swinging, and if pushed by the wind,  compress the gas strut, and go as far as hitting the mirror.

16 hours ago, Steve P said:

I have looked at the post and the PDF file on how to install this a dozen times.  I can't seem to make it work in my head.   Could someone post a picture or 2 at different angles of the door open and the gas strut extended?   Without the original door swing arm in place, it seems like the door could keep swinging, and if pushed by the wind,  compress the gas strut, and go as far as hitting the mirror.

I believe that the strut will be fully extended when the door is at 90 degrees, and that internal strut pressure will prevent the wind closing the door. 

The key question (in my mind): The original door swing arm is acting as the stop, not the gas strut.  What would happen if one were to remove the swing arm... would the door keep going and compress the gas strut, perhaps swinging open until it hit the mirror?   (I want very much to get rid of the defect prone swing arm!  It rattles, needs adjustment, eventually breaks -- well mine lasted 12 years, but it is history).