No radio makes me mad

Ok newbie here  this is kinda complicated question 2003 rambler imperial the dash radio doesn't seem to put out any sound what so ever, first off who has a Sony compact AV system DAV-C450 I need help no operating manual what so ever also I finally got it to turn on and after messing with buttons got it to tuner, flipped radio/TV switch on dash and wa la static now tried to tune radio in to our local stations and could not get it to work just presets set in system I am willing to talk to someone to help me thru this problem hate driving with no radio, I am seriously thinking about just wiring in my own system and be done 

10 minutes ago, snowman said:

Ok newbie here  this is kinda complicated question 2003 rambler imperial the dash radio doesn't seem to put out any sound what so ever, first off who has a Sony compact AV system DAV-C450 I need help no operating manual what so ever also I finally got it to turn on and after messing with buttons got it to tuner, flipped radio/TV switch on dash and wa la static now tried to tune radio in to our local stations and could not get it to work just presets set in system I am willing to talk to someone to help me thru this problem hate driving with no radio, I am seriously thinking about just wiring in my own system and be done 

You can google a manual for it. 

6 minutes ago, snowman said:

Well I have a 5 disc with surround sound in the house that I don't use anymore just measured it and it would fit nicely where the other one sits 

Ok sorry, went digital with iTunes years ago and the deck is apple car play, so everything plays through all the speakers. 

My radio died this spring just before my trip... I have a portable XM radio, and a set of AC powered speakers with subwoofer, got a small 12vdc to 120vac inverter.  Life is good...

I would still like to get the already mounted radio speakers powered  up and working, so I'll be watching how you get your tunes back...

My whole audio/video entertainment system is a mess... maybe this winter I can sort it out...

Ken

When my radio mysteriously quit I installed this last Fall . . . . https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004S55GWK/

Then this Spring I discovered the LF speaker wasn't working.  Turned out the wire in the ceiling had been broken (mouse?).  I was able to back-feed the wire from the A pillar post, where there was still continuity, to the LF speaker, bypassing the broken wire in the ceiling I couldn't get to.  Then I discovered the "cloth" suspension on my 2003 speakers are deteriorated (ALL of them) and if you pull them down the plastic grills were brittle and cracked.   So if you replace the radio the sound may / may not be any good.  Mine still work but virtually no bass and lots of distortion if pushed.  There's still 2 of 3 speakers mid coach that don't do anything.  Fixing one thing always leads to another thing. 

So the radio / player works now, but most of the time I plug in earbuds and stream live or playback through the phone, especially if I actually want to hear what they're saying / singing. 

- bob

11 hours ago, snowman said:

OK newbie here, did you try googling DAV-C450?  If you do, you will find downloads for the system that includes manuals and operating instructions.  With the manuals and instructions you should be able to get your C450 up and running.

Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Guest Ray Davis
11 hours ago, snowman said:

Well I have a 5 disc with surround sound in the house that I don't use anymore just measured it and it would fit nicely where the other one sits 

My 03 Windsor had a Sony C450 too,  I discorded it long ago, the whole system is old technology.  It's mostly just an amplifier for the surround sound system.  Whoever thought the C450 with presets instead of a tuner was a good idea in a vehicle must have gotten a pay off.   As soon as you move down the road the presets need to be reset again which is a pain.  I like to turn a knob to find a station but I'm sort of old.  

If your extra system in the house will fit I would try it.  If it has a tuner then check that you have both antennas ( AM & FM ) hooked up

Well removed old Sony system install my used Sony system from house and wired in the way it should be surprisingly it fit just perfectly, on the driver's  radio put in a new radio I actually wired in the speakers from the old surround  system and set them on the dash because the factory speakers only 1 worked and it was in the middle of the camper in the ceiling and my volume turned up couldn't hear radio at all 

Guest Ray Davis

Do you hear any noise at all through speakers?  Since your old equip and now the newer equip aren't working you may have antenna problems.

I'm not totally clear which radio you are trying to hear, the dash radio or the radio in the overhead.  Both need some kind of antenna.

The Sony in the overhead can be tricky to set for the desired function so reading the manual might help.   

7 hours ago, Ray Davis said:

Do you hear any noise at all through speakers?  Since your old equip and now the newer equip aren't working you may have antenna problems.

I'm not totally clear which radio you are trying to hear, the dash radio or the radio in the overhead.  Both need some kind of antenna.

The Sony in the overhead can be tricky to set for the desired function so reading the manual might help.   

Ray the radio in the dash and no sound what so ever 

29 minutes ago, snowman said:

Ray the radio in the dash and no sound what so ever 

Did it work before you changed out the overhead system?

When I bought my rig the radio didn't work but the CD player did so I could listen to music.  I replaced it with the same model Sony but it only lasted a couple years.  I then got a slightly newer model that had the same connections in the rear for the remote pod in the bedroom (really like this feature) and it's been in ~9 years now. 

Guest Ray Davis

It appears you have a Riverpark speaker switching device like mine.  Mine is located in the left overhead and has about a million wires.  I think you mentioned toggling the dash speaker switch to no avail.  That device may be bad so eleminating it for now might help you get things going.

Anyway those speakers you temporarly hooked up, are they wired directly to the dash radio or to the speaker wires up in the cabinet?  

I suggest you temporarly wire them directly to the dash radio and assuming it is powering / lighting up lets see if you can get it to do something, like make some noise any kind of noise, clicking, static, hissing, or even music.

Edited by Ray Davis