Bumps in the road of our maiden voyage…

After picking up our new to us 2009 Patriot Thunder in Denver,  we have made it from Denver to Park City on our way to home in Corvallis Oregon…and the trip has truly been eventful!  First was the constantly cycling auxiliary compressor resolved by removing the circuit. Followed by the no hot water in the shower crisis resolved with a new shower valve cartridge. Next item bedroom a/c dead, after reaching out to Frank and Tom they helped us begin to troubleshoot… Frank walked us thru every step to come to the solution that the switch that controls the 3rd ac and washer was bad( Frank correct me if I did not use the right name for the part). We learned a lot more than we knew was there to learn through Franks patient direction, found our hidden switch it is in the wall in the pantry of our rig, got to buy a great new tester and now know our way around all 3 units.  We can’t even express how grateful we are that this group exists  (big kudos to Frank and Tom).  These 3 items would have cost plenty to resolve without such great support found here.  With each day we are getting more educated on this rig that we really love, but would be very lost without your help!  We look forward to the day when some newbie has one of these issues and we can reach out and guide them to resolution!  Also, hoping the the next leg to Boise is way less eventful😂😂😂😂 

• Like 6

Doug, Thanks for the kind words and very glad that you are solving your problems.

For others, I thought I would provide some more detail.  In Doug's case this was a new to him coach with very low mileage stored for most of its life in a climate controlled garage (great find!).  So a few things needed to be verified to be sure that the 3 AC units were setup properly from the factory. 

He has a 5 button thermostat that controls 4 zones.  Each zone has a separate temperature sensor.  His thermostat was displaying AC, Heat Pump, Fan and Furnace (Aquahot) on all 4 zones.  So, this confirmed that the thermostat was communicating with all 3 roof AC units and the hidden zone 4 controller.  Still the rear AC unit was not working.

This meant that either the unit was not receiving AC power or the DIP switches were set incorrectly when it left Monaco (I had that problem when my coach was delivered).  When you have 3 AC/HP units on the roof plus a 4th heat only zone, the heat only zone MUST be the last zone.  If the rear bedroom AC/HP unit was programmed to zone 4 and the center Aquahot heat only was programmed to zone 3 the rear AC/HP would not turn on.  Doug found the hidden zone 4 controller and both the hidden controlled and the rear AC/HP units had the correct DIP switch zone settings.

Since Doug was actually transporting the coach from where he bought it to home, he didn't have all his test tools.  However for about $20 I recommended he buy a non-contact AC voltage tester at one of the big box stores.  The AC power from the panel box goes to an Intellitec Automatic Energy Select Switch located in the rear closet just below the house multiplex system.  Using his new tester, he found AC power going into the automatic switch but no power coming out.  Internally connecting all the white wires together and the black wires together, (grounds were already connected together) the rear AC unit came on.  So right now the only issue is to be sure to shut off the rear AC if he wants to use the washing machine.

Over the years, I've seen a number of the Intellitec AESS modules fail.  Unfortunately, these module do not have FLA (full load amp) relays that can withstand the power demands of switching AC compressors on and off.  Over time they eventually fail.  I know some folks have just put in a manual switch, others have bypassed them and put reminders on the washer door to shut off the rear AC when using the washer and others (like me) have left them in and just remembered to manually shut off the rear AC before using the washer.

So, that's the story and I hope this explanation helps others on how one goes about troubleshooting to solve a similar problem.

• Like 5

Ditto to Frank’s thanks for the kind words.  A wise, but yet worldly Ex boss has a saying…”No good deed goes unpunished”.  I guess that becoming an active member of the original Yahoo group in March, 2009 after making the quantum leap for a “top end” Winnie gasser to the Camelot DP, I became a newbie.  Then, got hooked on learning more and the Colonel, our founder and Fred White, recognized me being a glutton for punishment and made me a moderator.  Then, that rascally Pratt got involved and Frank’s and I developed a friendship like one would have with a long time coworker.  We enjoy helping people and also the sense of accomplishment in solving a problem.  Doug has also made a tremendous effort to learn and follow our advice as well as report back.

Having a less complicated rig, I constantly learn about the totally different electrical configuration and workings of the Dynasty.  I suspected a communications error or circuit failure in the phone line Buss that is established when the 5 button thermostat is installed or “booted” up.  The most common issue is when one of the in-line connectors which connect the control modules, on on each AC, to the phone lines which complete the data loop or Buss.  

NOT having a Dynasty or above, the rule of thumb is 90% of “the AC doesn’t work” is in the data Buss as vibration, wear on the contacts and dirt cause an intermittent or open circuit.  Most of the time, you lose a unit and that zone is not displayed or the functions are flaky.  I now qualify that for units WITHOUT the rear AESS module.  That adds a little more info to Frank’s post.

Doug, this will be an adventure and no matter how well maintained a MH is, one must solve or research the issues.  That is what this site is all about.

Welcome….BTW, with help from Frank and David Pratt, we now know that the Patriots were manufactured in Coburg from circa 2005 on and are the sisters to the Executive and Navigator “twins”.

• Like 2

Doug>>>  You are 100% correct as to the ability an willingness of some of the Monacoers group to help.  My coach is also a less complicated one but I am always interested in the threads as they provide tips on how to troubleshoot these types of issues.  I try to store this information in the back of my head to be able them in the future.  I pay particular attention to several members (Tom & Frank for sure) that provide responses. 

Glad you've made it home. 

FWIW, my maiden voyage with my coach, luckily, was uneventful.  I flew down to Orlando, picked the coach up at night in a parking lot where the seller met me.  Handed him a cashiers check, he handed me a bill of sale and that was that.  Drove to a Walmart to spend the night and then drove the ~800 miles home to E TN.  Didn't have a problem.  The next big trip we took was +14K mile round trip to AK, no problems again.  I guess ignorance is bliss!

19 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

Doug>>>  You are 100% correct as to the ability an willingness of some of the Monacoers group to help.  My coach is also a less complicated one but I am always interested in the threads as they provide tips on how to troubleshoot these types of issues.  I try to store this information in the back of my head to be able them in the future.  I pay particular attention to several members (Tom & Frank for sure) that provide responses. 

Glad you've made it home. 

FWIW, my maiden voyage with my coach, luckily, was uneventful.  I flew down to Orlando, picked the coach up at night in a parking lot where the seller met me.  Handed him a cashiers check, he handed me a bill of sale and that was that.  Drove to a Walmart to spend the night and then drove the ~800 miles home to E TN.  Didn't have a problem.  The next big trip we took was +14K mile round trip to AK, no problems again.  I guess ignorance is bliss!

Please send me the list of any stocks you buy…LOL. THE AK trip is the BAJA of the north.  You have “field tested” (subjected it to the most or horrendous shake, rattle and roll environment) that I know of) roads in North America.  Yes, ignorance may be bliss, but you should have uncovered a lot of electrical gremlins.

Thanks for sharing….

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

Please send me the list of any stocks you buy…LOL. THE AK trip is the BAJA of the north.  You have “field tested” (subjected it to the most or horrendous shake, rattle and roll environment) that I know of) roads in North America.  Yes, ignorance may be bliss, but you should have uncovered a lot of electrical gremlins.

Thanks for sharing….

Surprisingly I can't remember any real problems on the AK trip that I couldn't handle.  This was in 2009 and several years before I joined the Monaocers or IRV2. 

Luckily my ground in mining provided for a good knowledge base on how to fix things, sometimes in unconventional ways.  I now also carry a pretty good arsenal of supplies and tools plus have developed a pretty extensive library of troubleshooting repair information that I can pretty much handle anything on my rig.  

But I also know that as my rig ages the odds are going against me and I have to prepare for the worse case scenario.   

Yesterdays trip Park City to Boise had its own special event, passenger front slide made loud bang sound when coming in at Park City we were too nervous to put it out in Boise to troubleshoot, thought todays trip to Bend would be safer to find help resources if needed.  Landed today and after searching around found this…not sure where it came from since can’t find any missing.  After disloging it from slide arms everything seems ok🤞

Not to have a day without surprises, while on the road from Boise to Bend went back to turn on A/C and found the Cessna shower door had pretty much come off the rail.  A miracle was truly bestowed upon us because we know how difficult and expensive parts can be to acquire and nothing is damaged!

pic below bolt in slide arms…

FD8F646F-0193-4FEA-BDD1-6BB28B9D15B5.jpeg

672B3323-0A6A-4873-821D-B1453685635B.jpeg

Took the shower door off since it was not sitting on the track well.  Moved the top rollers and bottom clips and still having trouble getting it to roll even and shut well.  Anyone out there that has one that works well that can shoot a pic of where the rollers are set, or can explain would be great!  If not, we will keep moving them around but that door is a seriously heavy sucker!💪

901B90DC-52F6-4206-80D7-D6B528BB3018.jpeg

8B9AAD36-234D-410A-A1A7-713D4904B10B.jpeg

About the Cessana shower door, I keep our sliding door open and clamped to the stationary section with spring clamps. No problem since doing that. Yes, the parts are super expensive, if you find them. I was told this Italian shower cost 9k back then, crazy,

Final leg of the maiden voyage today and she is tucked resting and badly in need of a bath.

Would not want to have a completely trouble free day….the passenger side sunscreen just decided to unwind all on its own  and does not seem to want to rewind this is the second one that appears in need of repair.  Open to any suggestions or places to repair or buy new? 
Thanks for all the help and suggestions along the road!

Now that you are home and have time to look at things on a more relaxed schedule, I'd suggest carefully examining the routing of hoses in the engine bay for chaffing trouble spots. I.e how the heater hoses hang and vibrate on the way to the front heat exchanger and also aqua hot engine loop.  I know of at two PT's where they rubbed.together causing an antifreeze leak at an inconvenient highway location.  Also check the routing of the air compressor discharge hose to the air dryer as it probably loops around itself by the tranny and could also rub itself a hole.  Again I know of at least 2 PT's where this happened and that 3/4 inch braided airline can be difficult to source, but can be fabricated with the appropriate significant leak to your wallet. Likewise with the hydraulic hoses by the fan.  Make sure everything has proper standoff adel clamps and protection from abrasive rubbing.  My dash A/C line also got a rub leak...

From personal experience in 145,000+ miles with our '07 PT, I'd say hose routing was most irritating issue as the factory could have done a better job.  Most frustrating repair was kitchen slide push/pull chain repair. Most frequent problem has been the abs plastic cabinet/drawer spring latches break the plastic hook piece ... buy a dozen spares from eBay.  Easiest upgrade was led lighting for all those high intensity halogen puck lights...lower energy consumption, more reliable, and way less heat.

BTW, learn where hidden house multiplex modules are located, such as window awning fuses behind the wood trim crown molding of the front cap, etc.

Best wishes on experiencing all the great miles and adventures she'll bring you.

We still wouldn't trade off for anything else.

Edited by amphi_sc

On 8/24/2022 at 6:57 PM, Wildwood said:

Yesterdays trip Park City to Boise had its own special event, passenger front slide made loud bang sound when coming in at Park City we were too nervous to put it out in Boise to troubleshoot, thought todays trip to Bend would be safer to find help resources if needed.  Landed today and after searching around found this…not sure where it came from since can’t find any missing.  After disloging it from slide arms everything seems ok🤞

Not to have a day without surprises, while on the road from Boise to Bend went back to turn on A/C and found the Cessna shower door had pretty much come off the rail.  A miracle was truly bestowed upon us because we know how difficult and expensive parts can be to acquire and nothing is damaged!

pic below bolt in slide arms…

FD8F646F-0193-4FEA-BDD1-6BB28B9D15B5.jpeg

672B3323-0A6A-4873-821D-B1453685635B.jpeg

Took the shower door off since it was not sitting on the track well.  Moved the top rollers and bottom clips and still having trouble getting it to roll even and shut well.  Anyone out there that has one that works well that can shoot a pic of where the rollers are set, or can explain would be great!  If not, we will keep moving them around but that door is a seriously heavy sucker!💪

901B90DC-52F6-4206-80D7-D6B528BB3018.jpeg

8B9AAD36-234D-410A-A1A7-713D4904B10B.jpeg

If you are not aware, those rollers are adjustable. Remove the cap on the inner side, you will find an elliptical adjuster, hope this helps!