Inverter battery sensor

Georgia Mike

I am getting ready to replace my Magnum inverter and remembered a problem I had with my old Motorhome with a Xantrex inverter and the sensor probe. There is an issue where the voltage from the battery can back feed thru the sensor if it fails and destroys the inverter/charger. The instructions on most of the charger/inverters say to install it on the positive battery post and that’s a bad idea in my opinion because it messed up my old Xantrex inverter. I sent it in to be repaired and the technician call me and said that’s exactly what happened. I ended up buying a new one. Here is a video that explains it a little better.  

My Windsor has the Xantrex/Trace RV2012 Inverter which has the battery temp sensor that is placed in-between two house batteries.

The Dynasty has the Magnum MS2012 Inverter with a battery temp sensor that attaches to the negative battery post as described on page 18 of the manual.

I guess I need a little more convincing that the sensor is looking at air temp. High capacity battery chargers need to know battery temperature in order to modulate charging rate. I think that is the purpose of the sensor. I agree that attaching it to the negative terminal is an excellent idea.

I think what was said about the Trace temp sensor is that it reads temperature of the battery from it's outside instead of the post That's how mine works, it's on a double-sided tape stuck to a battery on it's side, in middle of the pack. BTW, my Victron monitor works the same. I have also read about recommendations not to attach the eye type thermistor to any battery posts, they are supposed to be electricaly insulated inside the terminal but acid might break the insulation.