Replacement for Panasonic Pop out radio

Moiras
Go to solution Solved by Ivan K,

6 minutes ago, Moiras said:

Do you have a link for the voltage reducer?

Here is the link to the voltage reducer that I used.  It is adjustable and I set mine with the engine running, so the input voltage is at the level where you normally use the camera.  I would suggest that you check the back of the Sony display to make sure that the rear camera is connected directly into it for that voltage going to the Camera.  

https://www.amazon.com/Valefod-Efficiency-Voltage-Regulator-Converter/dp/B076H3XHXP

No more wiring. It is all complete and ready to go. You just have to find it. I highly recommend labeling the wires when you find them. Mine were all messed up. 

On 9/19/2022 at 6:42 PM, Ivan K said:

Don't flip up single din radios have a setting to keep the screen out even when turned off? I replaced the original with a pioneer that has all of that and can stay open, of course that was 6 years ago and things may have changed.

My particular Lanzar does not have a setting to keep the screen from retracting.  Mine is a cheapo unit the previous owner put in.  So what I had to do, is glue all these little pieces of plastic together and put the radio screen back on it and another plastic piece that held the circuit board and wire connections back on the unit.  I turned the ignition on and the monitor popped out.  I turned the ignition off and it stayed out.  However the motor continued to run.  So I pulled the CD Changer fuse in the front fuse bay.  This will get us home.

When I get home (sometime in Oct.), I will have to order the Boss Audio 10 acp at best buy and have them install it because someone won't let me.  But eventually I will need to pull the entire fake wood center console out, disconnect the camera wires from the Sony monitor and possibly plug them into the Boss Audio or get a separate dedicated monitor for them.  Fix my broken 12v cigarette lighters, and add a USB in dash charger.

I quickly found a company that I can buy plastic fake burl wood to put in place of the sony monitor.  I will send for a sample when I get home.  Does anybody know how to take those rocker switches off the console?

Stay tuned, I'll definitely make an update.

Thank you John and Chad.  This going to be fun.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2022 at 7:32 PM, Ivan K said:

To remove the rocker switches,  you have to get behind them, squeeze their top and bottom tabs and push them forward, out of the panel.

I just got the BE 10acp in.  Im so excited. So this is what i want to do, i want to fix my 12v cigarette lighters cause they immediately blow the fuse, pull out the Sony monitor, hook up the cameras to the new radio.  I would be happy with just that.

Can i just remove the front of the rocker to pull the plastic burl wood console?

On 9/22/2022 at 7:21 PM, Chad A said:

Remember that your backup camera needs power to work. 

there should be a set of rca cables that will plug into your radio for camera and Aladdin 

The backup camera is already powered, i bought the step down voltahe thing to go from 12 to 8v.  

So now im not sure why i bought the voltage reducer  if im just going to disconnect it and plug it into new unit?

The camera needs the power. It has nothing to do with the signal coming into your new receiver. At least that is what I remember. 

I removed the screws holding the entire Burl console to get to everything. Remove the entire console and you have access to everything behind. This is when I added the usb chargers in place of the lighters. 

16 minutes ago, Chad A said:

The camera needs the power. It has nothing to do with the signal coming into your new receiver. At least that is what I remember. 

I removed the screws holding the entire Burl console to get to everything. Remove the entire console and you have access to everything behind. This is when I added the usb chargers in place of the lighters. 

Chad is correct.  When you unplug the backup camera harness from the Sony monitor, you will be disconnecting the 8vdc power that is supplying the backup camera.  This is where you will need to use the voltage adjuster to power that camera.   Most of the time the entire panel will need to be removed for access to wiring.  Because of the many holes, I made a new dash panel at the start of my project.  Now everything looks almost factory.

2 hours ago, Marine Boy said:

Chad is correct.  When you unplug the backup camera harness from the Sony monitor, you will be disconnecting the 8vdc power that is supplying the backup camera.  This is where you will need to use the voltage adjuster to power that camera.   Most of the time the entire panel will need to be removed for access to wiring.  Because of the many holes, I made a new dash panel at the start of my project.  Now everything looks almost factory.

It looks great too.

I guess the question is what needs to be seen all the time.  I like the 3 screens.

My gps is external, so im thinking about adding another screen for the camers.

2 minutes ago, Moiras said:

It looks great too.

I guess the question is what needs to be seen all the time.  I like the 3 screens.

My gps is external, so im thinking about adding another screen for the camers.

Can you put the alladin and the rear camera on the screen simultaneously?

On 9/22/2022 at 7:32 PM, Ivan K said:

To remove the rocker switches,  you have to get behind them, squeeze their top and bottom tabs and push them forward, out of the panel.

Can i remove the console if i just take off the rocker face plates?   Im gonna try doing as much as i can before my DH stops me 😀

7 hours ago, Marine Boy said:

Ok quick question, did you lose your sound from the backup camera?   And is there a way to defeat the parking brake requirement to use the alladin screen or android apps etc.?

9 minutes ago, Moiras said:

Ok quick question, did you lose your sound from the backup camera?   And is there a way to defeat the parking brake requirement to use the alladin screen or android apps etc.?

You can keep the sound from the rear camera.  I need to look back at the wiring drawings and pinouts from Aladdin.  You need to decide which input you plan to use on the Boss unit.  It might be easier if you use the AV input, that way you will have sound from the rear camera.  I need to look back at the manual on which functions are affected by the parking brake switching.  Android Auto, which I use 90% of the time is not affected by parking brake switching.  I will do my best to get you more info tomorrow.

Thanks John, if I put the rear camera in the a/v input, i dont know if ill be able to see the other cameras either thru the see u vision or blinker activation or when the RV goes into reverse.  But my DH likes to have that audio from the rear camera.  I think it could save your butt someday.  Maybe I could just add a little speaker for it....

And the alladin output will be in the camera input.  Oh my, I forgot all about the pin out for alladin.  I hope its just an rca jack.

20 hours ago, Moiras said:

Thanks John, if I put the rear camera in the a/v input, i dont know if ill be able to see the other cameras either thru the see u vision or blinker activation or when the RV goes into reverse.  But my DH likes to have that audio from the rear camera.  I think it could save your butt someday.  Maybe I could just add a little speaker for it....

And the alladin output will be in the camera input.  Oh my, I forgot all about the pin out for alladin.  I hope its just an rca jack.

This would be easier if you could give me a call to discuss how your system is wired and the best way to do it with your new Boss stereo.  I am available tonight or all day tomorrow.  I am EST living near Tampa.  John at (440) 537-2555

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2022 at 11:20 AM, Chad A said:

I installed a pioneer head unit. NEX something. About $1100 for the unit. 

I also I talked a USB in the dash so I could plug in and charge my phone. 

C597C414-F899-4E56-9782-0266F60F1DC0.jpeg

56B75E1F-C744-4D5B-ABC9-ADA9D59A250B.jpeg

5B607E02-2FE0-4516-AE70-633B7F03A931.jpeg

image.jpg

Hey Chad how did you support that pioneer in your dash?  I dont have anything back there to support the weight or any kind of brackets or frame.

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced the Newmar provided Panasonic radio with an Android 10.1" head unit.  Key reason was so it can run my own "app" for control over everything.

It, like most modern head units has a camera analog input.  I have this switchable from the original analog rear camera and the vehicle data system (can't remember that name off the top...)

Does what you expect of a higher end dashboard "radio"  Supports Android Auto and CarPlay but I don't use those features (use my own software).

Mine is made by "Joying" which is one of the more popular and updated brands.

First off, thank you to everyone for walking me through this.  On something like this, you really are on your own (except for your help). Trying to explain the cameras, alladin and the Seevision switcher (in the passenger side dash access panel)  to a guy at an auto radio install place is not easy.  RV shops were not an option.

I needed a voltage reducer for the 8V sony backup camera.  

Sony 6 pin to Voyager monitor adaptor.  Voyager to rca adaptor from RV Cams.  

In-dash USB ports.

female audio rca to female 3.5 mm Y.  

and a kill switch for the rear camera.

So this was for a BE 10acp radio install on a 2003 Signature with a seevision switcher. The switcher system has a camera select switch on the dash.  And it also feeds a little 6" screen in the bedroom for security.  The BE 10acp monitor weighs more than the head so it is well balanced inside the thin fake burl wood plastic console.  It was not an issue installing it into the dash.  The 2003 Sig had a Sony monitor below the single din Panasonic that had a pop out screen.  The Panasonic on my rig was replaced with a Lanzar with a pop out screen.  It had a radio, cd/dvd player, gps, alladin, hands-free calling and aux audio.  Unfortunately, it could only do one thing at a time.  So if I wanted to listen to the radio, hubby couldn't see his engine instruments.  The pop out idea is great until it stops popping out.  So when the Lanzar disintegrated, this was my opportunity to improve the dash.

I added a new 7" screen just for the alladin.  It had a straight forward male rca jack that I removed from the Lanzar and it went right into the modern 7"screen.  I powered it with the wires from the old Sony monitor.  I fed the wires up the driver's access panel and I didn't need to drill a hole in the dash.

We have been using an external gps for years that has free lifetime updates, so I didn't need to connect the coach gps.  And the BE 10acp doesn't have a map source for it anyway.

So the only thing I needed to figure out was the cameras, switching, rear camera audio and illumination dimmer.  The Seevision is on its last leg.  The Interior camera quit and the backup camera port quit.  So I just moved the backup camera to the interior port on the Seevision.  When I removed the Sony monitor I found that the reverse trigger wire was never connected to anything and the reverse trigger on the Seevision didn't work either.  I disconnected the reverse trigger wire off the Seevision, spliced a wire onto it and fished it over to the radio.  For kicks I checked the voltage on the 6 pin Sony monitor connector and it was providing 12V to the Sony 8V backup camera.  Go figure.  I used the voltage reducer anyway for the rear camera.  With RV Cam adaptors, I connected the Sony Monitor cable and plugged it into the rear camera input on the radio.  I needed to reroute the backup camera audio because its nice to have.  We use our cell phones when backing up but its always nice to have the camera audio as a backup.

When the rear cam is in rear cam port on the radio and audio is in the av position, you lose the sound when you go in reverse as a feature of the radio.
When the rear cam and audio are both in the av position, i have pic and sound but i lose the pop up camera when i go in reverse.  So I opted for the the rear camera in the rear camera port and attached the audio to a little speaker I put in the storage box I made to replace the Sony monitor.  Its a prototype.  Im not sure how to make that box yet.  I covered the screws in it.  That way the rear camera will pop up when you go in reverse and I'll have the audio from the rear camera too. (The Sony monitor used to have the audio)
I put the rear cam on the continuous wire so i dont have to have the radio on to have the rear cam in the bedroom at night.  When I dont need to see the rear camera, I installed a kill switch.  If you are overnighting at a rest stop or walmart, its nice to be able to see your tow vehicle if you hear noises back there.  Or Smokey could be tearing open your jeep! 

The dimmer for the radio was a challenge because I don't know how to read electrical schematics.  The 2003 Sig has 2 dimmer switches.  One is on the headlight knob which dims the instrument cluster.  And there is a separate dimmer switch right next to it that dims only the switches.  Unfortunately Monaco did not provide an illumination/dimmer wire from the headlight switch for the radio that I could find.  I wouldn't have messed with it if everybody didn't make a big deal about it.  And it is extremely bright at night so.  

I determined there was no way I could get into the headlight switch or the closet instrument.  The next best thing was the Fog light switch on the center console.  It was the last switch on the circuit. Just in case I screwed something up I wouldn't lose everything.  And the best thing known to mankind is a posi-tap.  I tapped into the gray wire in #8 position which I confirmed went from 0 to 12V with the dimmer switch.  The radio only needs on/off voltage.  So anything less than 12v will make the radio flicker.  Its not an issue because when the switch dimmer is full bright it is not very bright at all.  Its not a problem but having no dimmer on the radio would have been a big problem.

So everything works.  I have android and apple play, the cameras switch with the blinkers, the radio dims when you turn on the headlights, we won't ever lose the engine instruments again, I can listen to the radio or stream a podcast, I got a more efficient night time security camera, I have the rear camera pop up now with audio and reverse assist lines, and the biggest improvement is you dont have to look down to see your cameras, that made the cameras unusable. you couldn't see them and traffic was tiny little dots anyway.  We haven't taken it for a test drive but I have a lot more capabilities than I used to.  I have better quality video now but the color is not great and there is a little noise both caused by the Seevision.  So someday I'll be looking for a replacement for that and a new IR rear camera.
I hope this helps someone.  Thank you everybody, you guys are the best.  be safe out there.

Oh I fixed my 2 cig outlets too.  They had a short.  Found it.

20221028_135320.thumb.jpg.5764592b2a53d46ce2b7e866f8b14659.jpg20221028_135517.thumb.jpg.6e441b918f7a5871238a286ea367ca64.jpg20221026_143721.thumb.jpg.7ccc2eacd62849fcde7fcc7f90d57087.jpg