Replacement for Panasonic Pop out radio

Moiras
Go to solution Solved by Ivan K,

For the cq-va707weuc

Hey there, when we bought this coach the Panasonic radio was already gone.  It was replaced with a cheap chinese piece of garbage called a Lanzar.

Well it has died now and I gotta replace it with something inexpensive.  We had a very expensive summer already with new tires, hydraulic problems lithium batteries etc..

This is the thing, when we bought the coach, we didn't know any different.  What we need it to do is display the engine readings, have bluetooth to integrate the phones and play am and fm.  We dont need a cd changer and we have a separate RV GPS that I can update every year, although I know the coach has the GPS antenna.  We dont want the pop up radio anymore.  My coach, 2003 signature, came with a separate monitor for the side and backup cameras.

So at best buy they have these fixed face plate radios.  They have a video in for the backup camera.  If I could trick the radio into thinking we are always in reverse or have a selection to view the backup camera, it might work.  All the new ones are like this now. They dont have external video inputs or video outputs.  Apparently nobody knows anything about the products they are selling. No pictures of the back, no manuals, and it must be ordered, so nothing in the store to see.

I just located JJTL's post on IRV2 on his upgrade.  It is an extensive post.  And he really put in a nice system, Pioneer, 2 years ago.  I just can't do that now.  Does anybody know if the Best Buy Boss Audio systems can be used for the Alladin?  or any other suggestions?

I upgraded mine in my 2003 signature. I spent more than you are looking to spend but I checked out the Boss head units. I think they will work as long as you have video in capability and the ability to control what the screen is showing in the way of inputs. 

I also bought a wiring work around for the park brake so it would show video at all times. 

I can listen to radio, have Bluetooth for the phone, watch my Aladdin and can switch to all cameras. 

There is a rats nest of wires under the dash and I spent 2 days figuring them all out and going through the wiring schematic to track them all down and get them to the right place. 

I recently installed a Boss BE10ACP.  So far I have traveled 3000 miles with it and love it.   Yes, it does have some reflection off the screen, but not as bad as some reviews state.  This unit should do everything you are looking to do.  I really like having Android Auto, even though it is wired only, no bluetooth.  As previous mentioned, Crutchfield is great to deal with and they should be able to help you and/or give you recommendations.  Great unit for the price.

Martin, I have used crutch field in the past, I will have to give them a call about this.  Unfortunately I dont think I can install it myself because I have never done it before.  I hate having to get a degree in everything with this coach just so I know when the "techs" are screwing stuff up.  I had an awful experience this summer and in fact I am on my way back to Shipshewana because the solar guy installed a battery charger for my chassis batteries on the same circuit as the a/c.  Guess what, now I can't run the a/c, on shore power!

4 hours ago, Chad A said:

I upgraded mine in my 2003 signature. I spent more than you are looking to spend but I checked out the Boss head units. I think they will work as long as you have video in capability and the ability to control what the screen is showing in the way of inputs. 

I also bought a wiring work around for the park brake so it would show video at all times. 

I can listen to radio, have Bluetooth for the phone, watch my Aladdin and can switch to all cameras. 

There is a rats nest of wires under the dash and I spent 2 days figuring them all out and going through the wiring schematic to track them all down and get them to the right place. 

Hey Chad thank you so much for the reply.  That is exactly what I am trying to find out.  My 2003 sig came with a separate Sony monitor for all the cameras albeit not in a very useful location.  I am not sure if I can do this install but I can follow colored wires, we'll see.

Which one did you get?

Hi Marine Boy,

I was looking at that one and the BE 7acp-SD too.  (Standard Definition?)  

So can you get your Aladdin on screen by selecting the backup camera?  Did you hook up the Aladin feed to the backup camera input?  That would be perfect for what I want to do.  We have an iPhone and an android, they should be connected wirelessly I thought.  But honestly anything would work for me now.  Let me know OK?

Hey if anyone is interested I read JJTL's upgrade post he did on IRV2.  He put in a switch so that he could use the Aladdin whether he has the ignition sw on or not.  So he can use it while parked.  He has a 2001 sig.  He also put in a USB charge port so he could power an external gps or sirrus radio.  And this is really cool.  He hooked it up so the display will dim when he has his lights on.

These guys are just amazing what they do.  I would love to do this install if I can figure it out!

I installed a Boss BV9986BI from Amazon last Fall for $170 into our 2003 Endeavor.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004S55GWK/  Sadly it's no longer available but I'm sure there are follow up models.  It's ok.  Biggest con (for me) is not being able to see the button functions while driving.  It's a crap user interface.  Maybe not a problem if I used it more . . . . .

The features are probably overkill for you but I wanted to play my tunes or podcasts from my Android phone into the audio system (Bluetooth).  I also put those tunes on an SD card (or USB stick) to play through the sound system.  The video screen can be hidden or pop up when needed, like for a rear camera.  I'm guessing all you need to do is connect the camera video (RCA connector usually) and provide a voltage to the "reverse" wire, preferably through a switch so you can still use the touch screen for menu items.

My speakers are shot, and there's no comparison to the sound quality through a set of ear buds, so the radio doesn't get played much.  I'm open to an inexpensive speaker recommendation.  Can't push the volume or bass because the speaker cloth suspensions are literally falling apart.  All of them.  The speaker grills are shot, too.  Plastic has become very brittle over the years. 

Hardest part of the install was re-wiring the speaker plug.  I clipped the plug off the defunct Sony, but if you have an empty hole I'd recommend finding the right plug to mate with the speaker plug (I know your head is already spinning). 

- bob

8 hours ago, Moiras said:

Martin, I have used crutch field in the past, I will have to give them a call about this.  Unfortunately I dont think I can install it myself because I have never done it before.  I hate having to get a degree in everything with this coach just so I know when the "techs" are screwing stuff up.  I had an awful experience this summer and in fact I am on my way back to Shipshewana because the solar guy installed a battery charger for my chassis batteries on the same circuit as the a/c.  Guess what, now I can't run the a/c, on shore power!

Hey Chad thank you so much for the reply.  That is exactly what I am trying to find out.  My 2003 sig came with a separate Sony monitor for all the cameras albeit not in a very useful location.  I am not sure if I can do this install but I can follow colored wires, we'll see.

Which one did you get?

Hi Marine Boy,

I was looking at that one and the BE 7acp-SD too.  (Standard Definition?)  

So can you get your Aladdin on screen by selecting the backup camera?  Did you hook up the Aladin feed to the backup camera input?  That would be perfect for what I want to do.  We have an iPhone and an android, they should be connected wirelessly I thought.  But honestly anything would work for me now.  Let me know OK?

So I am pretty sure that you should be able to get your cameras on the display.  BUT I am pretty sure that if you setup is original the rear camera is powered by the Sony display with 8 volts DC.   So to power that camera, I went on Amazon and for about $10 bought adjustable voltage reducer to take the 12vdc down to 8 Volts, which is working great.     I am not using the Boss for my cameras, as I had enough room for a 10" display in place of the Sony.   

Most or all of the Boss units for Android Auto or Apple Play, only work with cable not Blue Tooth, which is fine with me since it keeps the phone charged, too.

I have attached some photos of my setup.   Fell free to call me if you have any questions.

John

440-537-2555

20220918_154516.jpg

20220918_154519.jpg

20220918_154522.jpg

20220918_154526.jpg

20220918_154532.jpg

I installed a pioneer head unit. NEX something. About $1100 for the unit. 

I also I talked a USB in the dash so I could plug in and charge my phone. 

C597C414-F899-4E56-9782-0266F60F1DC0.jpeg

56B75E1F-C744-4D5B-ABC9-ADA9D59A250B.jpeg

5B607E02-2FE0-4516-AE70-633B7F03A931.jpeg

image.jpg

10 hours ago, cbr046 said:

I installed a Boss BV9986BI from Amazon last Fall for $170 into our 2003 Endeavor.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004S55GWK/  Sadly it's no longer available but I'm sure there are follow up models.  It's ok.  Biggest con (for me) is not being able to see the button functions while driving.  It's a crap user interface.  Maybe not a problem if I used it more . . . . .

The features are probably overkill for you but I wanted to play my tunes or podcasts from my Android phone into the audio system (Bluetooth).  I also put those tunes on an SD card (or USB stick) to play through the sound system.  The video screen can be hidden or pop up when needed, like for a rear camera.  I'm guessing all you need to do is connect the camera video (RCA connector usually) and provide a voltage to the "reverse" wire, preferably through a switch so you can still use the touch screen for menu items.

My speakers are shot, and there's no comparison to the sound quality through a set of ear buds, so the radio doesn't get played much.  I'm open to an inexpensive speaker recommendation.  Can't push the volume or bass because the speaker cloth suspensions are literally falling apart.  All of them.  The speaker grills are shot, too.  Plastic has become very brittle over the years. 

Hardest part of the install was re-wiring the speaker plug.  I clipped the plug off the defunct Sony, but if you have an empty hole I'd recommend finding the right plug to mate with the speaker plug (I know your head is already spinning). 

- bob

Bob, that actually would be a great little unit that would do everything I would need.  It does have an external video input so I wouldn't even need to use the camera input for the Aladdin.  I haven't gotten into the dash yet but I assume the Aladdin input is a standard rca jack.  I am shying away from the pop up for obvious reasons.  I wish I could just keep it out.  But the POC I have now folds in when you hit the power button.  I want to stream from my phone too...

I did not have a Sony, so I hope there won't be any speaker plug to rig.  One of the reasons I dont buy Sony anymore.  I'll definitely see if there was a new model.

Below is my dash.  The "detachable face" detached itself right onto the floor because the plastic had deteriorated and crumbled over the winter.  Why does it need a detachable face?  The top screen is my external Garmin, it plugs in to a cigarette lighter. I use that cause it has free updates forever.  I just have it sitting there for the pic.  Then below that the broke chinese Lanzar POC, and then the sony camera monitor.

20220919_185145.jpg

Hey John,

That you for all the pics.  

9 hours ago, Marine Boy said:

So I am pretty sure that you should be able to get your cameras on the display.  BUT I am pretty sure that if you setup is original the rear camera is powered by the Sony display with 8 volts DC.   So to power that camera, I went on Amazon and for about $10 bought adjustable voltage reducer to take the 12vdc down to 8 Volts, which is working great.     I am not using the Boss for my cameras, as I had enough room for a 10" display in place of the Sony.   

Most or all of the Boss units for Android Auto or Apple Play, only work with cable not Blue Tooth, which is fine with me since it keeps the phone charged, too.

I have attached some photos of my setup.   Fell free to call me if you have any questions.

John

440-537-2555

20220918_154516.jpg

20220918_154519.jpg

20220918_154522.jpg

20220918_154526.jpg

20220918_154532.jpg

Thank you for all the pics.  That is extremely helpful.  Im not worried about the rear camera at the moment.  It will stay on the Sony monitor for now.  What I am curious about is if I can put the Aladdin display on that head.  I see you have a dedicated screen for yours. That would be the best thing.  So if I can select the alladin screen on the Boss, this may work.

Please see my dash on the above post.

7 hours ago, Chad A said:

I installed a pioneer head unit. NEX something. About $1100 for the unit. 

I also I talked a USB in the dash so I could plug in and charge my phone. 

C597C414-F899-4E56-9782-0266F60F1DC0.jpeg

56B75E1F-C744-4D5B-ABC9-ADA9D59A250B.jpeg

5B607E02-2FE0-4516-AE70-633B7F03A931.jpeg

image.jpg

Chad that is really a nice setup.  Very clean and neat.  Yeah I am thinking about spending less than that at the moment.  Can you have your Aladdin and GPS on the same screen?  Or do you use a separate GPS display?

I also see you put your rear camera on it.  Are you using the Sony monitor for anything?

20220919_185145.jpg

51 minutes ago, Moiras said:

Bob, that actually would be a great little unit that would do everything I would need.  It does have an external video input so I wouldn't even need to use the camera input for the Aladdin.  I haven't gotten into the dash yet but I assume the Aladdin input is a standard rca jack.  I am shying away from the pop up for obvious reasons.  I wish I could just keep it out.  But the POC I have now folds in when you hit the power button.  I want to stream from my phone too...

I did not have a Sony, so I hope there won't be any speaker plug to rig.  One of the reasons I dont buy Sony anymore.  I'll definitely see if there was a new model.

Below is my dash.  The "detachable face" detached itself right onto the floor because the plastic had deteriorated and crumbled over the winter.  Why does it need a detachable face?  The top screen is my external Garmin, it plugs in to a cigarette lighter. I use that cause it has free updates forever.  I just have it sitting there for the pic.  Then below that the broke chinese Lanzar POC, and then the sony camera monitor.

20220919_185145.jpg

Hey John,

That you for all the pics.  

Thank you for all the pics.  That is extremely helpful.  Im not worried about the rear camera at the moment.  It will stay on the Sony monitor for now.  What I am curious about is if I can put the Aladdin display on that head.  I see you have a dedicated screen for yours. That would be the best thing.  So if I can select the alladin screen on the Boss, this may work.

Please see my dash on the above post.

Yes, you should be able to trick the Boss unit with a switch, so it thinks you want the backup camera, which there is a video input on the unit.  There are also secondary video inputs, front camera and AV input.  I am sure one or all would work.  Thinking about it, the AV input would probably be the easiest.  On the home screen, there is an Icon for the AV input.  I have attached the manual for my Boss unit.

104BE10ACC.PDF

I can have the Aladdin and the gps going at the same time. It just puts the Aladdin in the small screen on bottom.  If you look at the first pic I can switch between Aladdin and cameras in the one on the bottom right. Where it says no input is where the gps from my phone would be. 

I have 2 video ins on that unit so I put the camera and the Aladdin. 

My sony screen quit on me, I have a replacement that I need to put in, and I would like to use that for my Aladdin and then have my cameras on the stereo unit. Or vice versa depending on what I need to pay attention too. 

John

Well thats just what i have been looking for. Thank you for the manual. It looks like it has 3 video ins.  Front and rear camera and then the a/v.   I could run the rear and right cameras. And use the a/v for the alladin screen.  If there was anyway to wire it so the blinker would activate the right camera, that would be great too.

All cameras run through a switcher and only use one cable. 

When I have the cameras on the left and right work with the blinkers. Reverse camera takes over when in reverse. 

There is a box in the dash in front of the passenger side. 

9 hours ago, Chad A said:

All cameras run through a switcher and only use one cable. 

When I have the cameras on the left and right work with the blinkers. Reverse camera takes over when in reverse. 

There is a box in the dash in front of the passenger side. 

Oh youre talking about the see u vision.  Ok so i can get all 3 cameras to the new radio w 1 cable, awesome.  Did you tie in the manual camera switch in there somehow?

20220920_084659.jpg

All the camera inputs go into a switcher box and then there is a cable google out. It is the same one that went to the original Panasonic display. 

Do you have your wiring schematics, it is all in there. 

10 hours ago, Chad A said:

I can have the Aladdin and the gps going at the same time. It just puts the Aladdin in the small screen on bottom.  If you look at the first pic I can switch between Aladdin and cameras in the one on the bottom right. Where it says no input is where the gps from my phone would be. 

I have 2 video ins on that unit so I put the camera and the Aladdin. 

My sony screen quit on me, I have a replacement that I need to put in, and I would like to use that for my Aladdin and then have my cameras on the stereo unit. Or vice versa depending on what I need to pay attention too. 

Would there be anyway to put a matching blank in where the sony is?  I think both screens need to be higher.  Like have the camera screen on top, sitting where i have my gps.  And have the alladin screen right below that.  I would need to get some of that fake plastic wood and put it in the sony hole.

My sony is still working but the pic is horrible, if not for my yellow jeep you wouldnt be able to make out anything back there.  It maybe the see u vision because i got new cameras on the mirrors.

4 minutes ago, Chad A said:

All the camera inputs go into a switcher box and then there is a cable google out. It is the same one that went to the original Panasonic display. 

Do you have your wiring schematics, it is all in there. 

I believe i do have the wiring schematics but im not sure about the detail on it.

I never had the panasonic.  Did it have cameras on it too?  I dont think a average best buy guy can handle all of this.

The Panasonic could have the cameras or the Aladdin on it. 

replacing the stereo is actually pretty simple. You do need to take the entire dash out though. Be careful as it is just plastic that is 30 years old and there is some weight to all the electronics. 

46 minutes ago, Scotty Hutto said:

@Marine Boy I’m interested in how you changed the background on your Aladdin display…. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone do that before. 😳

Hi Scott,

Sorry, I didn't fully explain that my Aladdin failed and I decided to do the Silverleaf conversion.  So on the Silverleaf, I can show data over the cameras or on a black screen.  The one surprise I got was replacing the Sony display(just to get a larger display) and finding out the backup camera is powered by 8vdc from the old Sony display.  Since I definitely didn't want to have to run more wires for a new 12v Camera, on Amazon, I found a DC voltage regulator(5 for about $10) to cut down the 12vdc system voltage to 8 volts and it has been working great for 6 months now.  To share another issue while installing the Silverleaf, I now don't believe my Aladdin went bad, I think the shop that checked it didn't notice that the voltage going to the Aladdin had dropped to under 2 volts.  I found this out after completely installing the Silverleaf conversion and it didn't work.  After a couple hours of trouble shooting, I found the issue of low voltage.   I probably did the conversion for nothing.  But I am very happy with the Conversion. 

13 hours ago, Ivan K said:

Don't flip up single din radios have a setting to keep the screen out even when turned off? I replaced the original with a pioneer that has all of that and can stay open, of course that was 6 years ago and things may have changed.

With mine (Boss) I can leave the screen up or down, power on or off.  I like it down unless I'm fiddling with settings.  If I had a decent backup camera I'd consider mounting the display up near the bottom of the TV cabinet.  I use the OEM Sony for backing up the driveway and to the trailer hitch, about all it's good for. 

- bob

10 minutes ago, Marine Boy said:

Hi Scott,

Sorry, I didn't fully explain that my Aladdin failed and I decided to do the Silverleaf conversion.  So on the Silverleaf, I can show data over the cameras or on a black screen.  The one surprise I got was replacing the Sony display(just to get a larger display) and finding out the backup camera is powered by 8vdc from the old Sony display.  Since I definitely didn't want to have to run more wires for a new 12v Camera, on Amazon, I found a DC voltage regulator(5 for about $10) to cut down the 12vdc system voltage to 8 volts and it has been working great for 6 months now.  To share another issue while installing the Silverleaf, I now don't believe my Aladdin went bad, I think the shop that checked it didn't notice that the voltage going to the Aladdin had dropped to under 2 volts.  I found this out after completely installing the Silverleaf conversion and it didn't work.  After a couple hours of trouble shooting, I found the issue of low voltage.   I probably did the conversion for nothing.  But I am very happy with the Conversion. 

Do you have a link for the voltage reducer?