Front Mirrors

A picture would help. If they are chrome then I would contact Space Coast Plating in Fl. I sent mine to them a couple years ago and the y swapped them out for a set that they had reworked and kept in stock. They’re workmanship and quality it top shelf. At the time it cost me about $600 for both arms and both bases. 

• Like 1

Peel the loose chrome, grind flat and grind all shiny chrome, prime, spot putty, sand, prime and paint with auto body paint is what I did to the chrome mounts.  Looks like the arms on mine are next to peel.

Edited by DavidL

My trips to the Texas gulf coast had caused the chrome on my mirrors to disintegrate.

2030125491_mirrorpic1copy.thumb.png.90033100de17c70f6bea821509f66dc9.png

I found Pacific RV mirrors online. Here is a link for new arms if yours are like my 2000 Signature. If you send a picture of your mirror to jack@pacificrvparts.com he will point you in the right direction with the correct part numbers and pricing. They answer their emails quickly.  I had been unable to find anyone close to me that would do rechroming in a reasonable timeline or price. I hope this helps.

https://www.pacificrvmirrors.com/product-p/c709481.htm arm

https://www.pacificrvmirrors.com/product-p/c709491.htm base

The real issue is the chrome process that Velvac uses is poor and purchasing replacement ones will end with the same result. Space Coast uses a superior process that will far outlast what Velvac does and they stand behind their work without question. 

A few have criticized the chrome on the Velvac mirrors. While it could have problems, my mirrors showed no sign of chrome peeling until 2020 (20 years since the bus was new) and that was two winters on Mustang Island, Texas. Not wanting to argue but 20 years ain't bad.

If you got 20 years out of the original chrome plating you are one of the very few lucky ones.

Space Coast Plating can turn your arms and bases around within two weeks after receiving them.

They also have Restored Arms and Bases in stock to exchange if they match up to yours and will ship next day after payment.

I also offer the option "at extra Cost" to weld the seams on the arms and it make them beautiful.

The cost to do or exchange your bases Start at $140.00 each depending on condition and the minimum cost to do or exchange the arms Starts at $140.00 and the price will depend on the length and condition of the arms.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, David Pratt said:

If you got 20 years out of the original chrome plating you are one of the very few lucky ones.

Space Coast Plating can turn your arms and bases around within two weeks after receiving them.

They also have Restored Arms and Bases in stock to exchange if they match up to yours and will ship next day after payment.

I also offer the option "at extra Cost" to weld the seams on the arms and it make them beautiful.

The cost to do or exchange your bases Start at $140.00 each depending on condition and the minimum cost to do or exchange the arms Starts at $140.00 and the price will depend on the length and condition of the arms.

I'm going to put Space Coast Plating in my address book for future reference. One of the key parts of my mirrors had corroded so badly that I was unable to separate the base from the arm.  I will definitely watch my new mirrors for any sign of flaking chrome and have them rechromed immediately (rather than waiting until I can't stand to look at them any more). Thanks for the info.

I guess our coach is one of the lucky ones, we had these Ramco mirrors installed in Phoenix in 1997

Mirr_LF.jpg.54a7d2b42dd706599fe6e3e04464369b.jpg

Haven't polished them in a couple of years

I'm happy to report the black powder coated mirrors on our 1994 Dynasty are just like the day we bought it in 1995.  Perfect.

However, just like so many side mirrors they suffer from blind spots that smaller vehicles like to 'hide' in.  About ten years ago I installed tiny side cameras that feed into a small flat screen directly behind the steering wheel and integrated with a replacement rear view camera.  If it were not for laws that require the side mirrors I would remove them completely.  The cameras provide a vastly superior side view and do not block my view of pedestrians and cyclists attempting suicidal street crossing as I'm making turns.

Not only are the side view cameras better than the mirrors, they are much easier to keep clean.  😉

Dynasty passenger side view camera.jpg

Space Coast Plating

"Nuff said."  Great customer service.  A plating shop that does almost entirely high-end antique and show car/bike plating...stuff few other shops in the USA can do.  Incredible quality.  I've had my mirror arms for years.  Not a single flaw.  No complaints.

The arms on my ancient 2000 Dynasty were plated by Space Coast Plating (and welded seams--HIGHLY recommended) several years ago.  Those mirror arms are still the most outstanding feature on my coach.  Flawless.  Regardless the supreme show-quality work, replating your mirror arms is very reasonably priced.

It's not all hype.  Dave Pratt can explain to you how direct nickel-chrome plating on aluminum or zinc is doomed.  Space Coast Plating's COPPER-nickel-chrome is unbeatable.

If your Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost's hood ornament is corroded, pitted and seems beyond repair, send it to Space Coast Plating.  They will strip it, copper plate it, solder up all defects, handwork, buff, copper plate again, handwork again if necessary, copper plate again, then nickel-chrome.  Your result will be flawless and beyond anything you might expect.  These guys are pro's known all over the planet!

Space Coast Plating ain't no budget bumper replating shop.!!!  But Dave will make your mirror arms and bases the best-looking part of your coach!...for decades to come!!!...at a reasonable cost.  And if you're lucky, you might get to talk to Sandy Pratt, Dave's (much) better half, who can talk tech to you.  First time I met Sandy, I was expecting to meet an executive lady in a fancy office.  Instead, I met her on the shop floor, in a tee-shirt, artfully teaching a trainee how to buff a classic Buick bumper that had been inadequately prepared by one of her staff.  Bumper looked great to me, but Sandy pointed out some minor imperfections and said they would never send out a part with a flaw...so they re-did the entire process to satisfy the customer--no additional cost.

Space Coast Plating...A-1, top-of-the-heap, show-quality platers, doing excellent work at reasonable prices.

• Like 2