Leece-Neville 4884JB Alternator

firefly4205

My alternator on my 2002 Windsor is over charging the batteries.  I have been unable to find a new replacement alternator.  Does anyone know if there is a new replacement model for this Leece Neville 4884JB alternator or has anyone had one like this rebuilt? 

Firefly4205

2002 Windsor

Firefly

See: https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk029-6bAbgZXhJBim-JWmfwx5cuDUw%3A1589735917416&source=hp&ei=7XHBXsnuFsiutQaE_r_QDg&q=Leece+Neville+4884JB&oq=Leece+Neville+4884JB&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQDDICCABQkgpYkgpg9CxoAHAAeACAAVuIAVuSAQExmAEAoAECoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpeg&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwiJmZHls7vpAhVIV80KHQT_D-oQ4dUDCAg

HOWEVER, because the compatibly of a new replacement alternator is often problematic....I suggest you have your original alternator rebuilt. ....(to find a rebuilder Google "alternator rebuild shop near me".

My 2002 Windsor came with a 160 amp Leece-Neville Alternator model A0012824LC. I had that rebuilt a few times over the years. Then a local friend had a brand new spare 200 amp Leece-Neville Alternator model 4884JB which I bought as a spare. Back in 2015 when in Alaska my 160 amp alternator failed once again. I had the 200 amp installed and took the 160 amp unit to the local shop and had them rebuild it to a 200 amp one. Cost me about $400. Back when having the 160 rebuilt it was generally between $160 - $180.

Those two models are interchangeable.

Richard, thanks>>  good information to know

I did a search and found the Prestolite data page on the alternator and then did a search using A0014884JB  on Google shopping and had numerous hits, one of the best prices I found was here

https://www.sears.com/rareelectrical-new-200a-alternator-international-with-duvac-zln4884jb/p-SPM8253389227?sid=IDx20141117x00001xlpla

The price range was from $1150 to $300 so it pays to shop. 

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question about the Leece-Neville 4884JB alternator. This is the original alternator and I bought the coach new so  it has not been changed. I ended up speaking with Jim @ AJ Electric and he was very helpful and told me several different test to run prior to ordering a new unit and I am in the process of doing those tests now. He is a very nice fellow and I would recommend this company  if you develop electrical problems. I am sorry I did not respond sooner but for some reason I have not been receiving my e-mails correctly.            

Are both chassis and house overcharging? If so, change the regulator on the alternator. Only a 20$ part.  That means if you diy it costs you 20$.  

If only the chassis or only the house is over charging , it’s the solid state isolator . You can get them on amazon. 

Recently replaced my alternator. I found the best price at Quality Power. I decided to replace my 160 amp Leece Neville with a 200 amp Delco Remy 28SI. The install was fairly simple except on the DR you don't connect the excite wire since it is self exciting. I had my old LN rebuilt and carry it as a spare.

https://www.qualitypowerauto.com/category_139/RV-Alternators.htm

On 5/22/2020 at 7:26 AM, Hotrod said:

Are both chassis and house overcharging? If so, change the regulator on the alternator. Only a 20$ part.  That means if you diy it costs you 20$.  

If only the chassis or only the house is over charging , it’s the solid state isolator . You can get them on amazon. 

Careful.  Some regulators also retain the brushes, which can be a real bear to get back into position when reinstalling the new regulator.

You have to use steel pins to retain the brushes, and unless you have the correct size, it's quite fiddly.