Which chassis do I have

Go to solution Solved by jacwjames,

New member here and new to this world.  I just bought a 2000 HR Navigator that is in need of love.  It's in storage for the winter and expect to take her out in April at which point I will need to have it inspected per provincial requirement.  As a good portion of the safety inspection pertains to the chassis I'm leery they will find issues I haven't seen myself.  I'm trying to understand her as much a possible before I start working on it, one area I'm confused is the chassis it is built on . I read that starting early 2000 these coaches were S-series but I also read that the S-series as a tag axle.  Mine is a 38WDS non tag, last year it was produces.  Anyone can chime here on which chassis I have?

Thank you,

Edited by RedSectorA

1 hour ago, jacwjames said:

Check above the engine on the flat surface when you open the rear door.  I have a metal tag that has the chassis model on it.  There is also one mounted in the passenger side front wheel well but harder to see. 

In my case it says Roadmaster R3300

It's far away in storage, I hoped someone would have known from the year and model.  Thank you that may be my only option!

2 hours ago, Barry W said:

According to this listing, you have a Roadmaster Chassis:   2000 Holiday Rambler Navigator 38WDS for sale in Tampa, FL | Lazydays

Thank you, should have been more explicit what I'm trying to figure out which Roadmaster Chassis I have.  Rm8H, S-Series or any other of the chassis they had in time.

30 minutes ago, birdshill123 said:

Your inspection depends on the province   where you live. 

Yes different by Province, if I recall well it's once a year in Ontario but was told once in a lifetime if the unit stays in Quebec.  Strangely my coach was in Quebec most of it's life but since it was sold to an Ontario dealer it needs to be safetied before I can use it.  Although similar I was told Quebec is more stringent in their requirements.

Driver's license requirement are also different from Province to Province though we have reciprocity agreement between Provinces.  For an example there is no additional requirement in Quebec other than have a valid driver's license to drive a motorized rv.  In Ontario you additionnally need a course on the operation of air brakes.

15 hours ago, RedSectorA said:

New member here and new to this world.  I just bought a 2000 HR Navigator that is in need of love.  It's in storage for the winter and expect to take her out in April at which point I will need to have it inspected per provincial requirement.  As a good portion of the safety inspection pertains to the chassis I'm leery they will find issues I haven't seen myself.  I'm trying to understand her as much a possible before I start working on it, one area I'm confused is the chassis it is built on . I read that starting early 2000 these coaches were S-series but I also read that the S-series as a tag axle.  Mine is a 38WDS non tag, last year it was produces.  Anyone can chime here on which chassis I have?

Thank you,

Go to the website vehiclerecords.net and type in you VIN and it will tell you. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, birdshill123 said:

If Ontario requires a similar inspection as a class 8 truck it is extensive. They pull the drums and " mic",check the front end,air brake tests,all lights ,tires and more.

It's the same in Quebec, well that's good news as a safety was done in March in Ontario

18 minutes ago, thomasgibbens said:

Go to the website vehiclerecords.net and type in you VIN and it will tell you. 

I just tried, they only allow payment of $1 with a credit card and they ask for a zip code for that mode of payment.  Since I'm from Canada and we have Postal Codes they refuse to finalize the transaction. 🙂

1 hour ago, jacwjames said:

Wow, exactly what I was looking for, according to this I have an S Series chassis. 

Interesting to see that the vin decoder shows I have an ISC when in reality I have an ISM (my build sheet does shows an ISM, valve cover undisputedly is from an ISM 🙂). Serial number breakdown shows no slides when I have one.

Fantastic, thank you all for your help!

our 1999 Monaco windsor  which I think is almost identicle to the HR navagator is built on a roadmaster chassis either a RR8 or a RRS8 raised rail side rad 8 air bags to my knowledge HR and Monaco were never ever built on a freightliner chassis not exactly sure of the difference between the RR8 and RRS8 other than I think the RRS 8 is an alumimium strucure bolted onto a steel chassis whereas the RR8 is an all steel chassis I am sure there are others here who can help with more info but I think you will find that you  have a Roadmaster chassis not a Freightliner chassis if you are not sure just look in theright front wheel well and you will find the chassis tag 

Guest Ray Davis

When Monaco aquired H Rambler they continued to use what HR had on hand.  I had a 99 Endevour that was on a Freightliner chassis, but they may not have all been that way.  My Endevour also had a Cat engine.  In those transition yrs it's hard to say with certainty without seeing the coach.              A Roadmaster chassis will be easy to identify by looking under it for the H frame assy front & rear.  My Endevour looked for all the world like a Diplomat

38 minutes ago, Oilcan said:

our 1999 Monaco windsor  which I think is almost identicle to the HR navagator is built on a roadmaster chassis either a RR8 or a RRS8 raised rail side rad 8 air bags to my knowledge HR and Monaco were never ever built on a freightliner chassis not exactly sure of the difference between the RR8 and RRS8 other than I think the RRS 8 is an alumimium strucure bolted onto a steel chassis whereas the RR8 is an all steel chassis I am sure there are others here who can help with more info but I think you will find that you  have a Roadmaster chassis not a Freightliner chassis if you are not sure just look in theright front wheel well and you will find the chassis tag 

My understanding, and I may be wrong, is that the Navigator sister is the Executive in the Monaco lineup.