Moochdocking

Guest Ray Davis

Yup, our electric went from $0.12/kw to $0.137 late last year plus the have a surcharge that changes every month with a high of ~$75 for one month.  Because of this I've made a very conscious effort to conserve power and constantly look for waste.  I'm sure that anyone on a fixed income is doing the same. 

I saw this post a while back, the costs seem excessive but never know, if an individual makes no effort to conserve it could get out of hand real fast.

I’ve seen this 2 ways:

1) we do this when visiting friends. The have just a regular 110 Outlet. No big as we installed a Victron Multiplus that can pull from batteries to help us run the microwave etc

2) The RV park we leave our coach at in the summer tells us, and we’ve seen it, EV cars come in late night and plug into a site after hours and charge. They try and get up early and get out, or claim dumb that they didn’t know it wasn’t “legal”. The resort at the lake has random cars that will show up and have extension cords ran to a cabin, they’re not guests. People will just plug in, walk down to the beach and play all day, while stealing Electricity 

Edited by JDCrow
  • Sad 1

We "moochdock" every time we stay at my brother's farm in Dansville NY in the Finger Lakes region. Luckily, he has a separate meter on his barn where we park the coach across the road from his house, so I know exactly how much electricity we are using while staying there for the few months during the summer. He gets one bill for the house and one for the barn.

$500 is WAY out of line, The most we would pay for one month would be about $125.

Edited by Dr4Film
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr4Film said:

We "moochdock" every time we stay at my brother's farm in Dansville NY in the Finger Lakes region. Luckily, he has a separate meter on his barn where we park the coach across the road from his house, so I know exactly how much electricity we are using while staying there for the few months during the summer. He gets one bill for the house and one for the barn.

$500 is WAY out of line, The most we would pay for one month would be about $125.

This is gut from watching utilities costs in the millions for several plants for years and also looking at the graphs of 13 month usage from the power company.  We don’t have the surcharges and I know from having plants with massive “peak KWH” in the summer and winter that they can add up and I leased a OTR trailer mounted Genny complete with Switchgear and had a manual transfer switch to supplement and shave meter peak every month due to an idiotic rate structure that the courts finally abolished.

Bottom line, this ain’t my first rodeo.  I other keep the MH on site in November to winterize and do maintenance and we have had cold snaps.  Same in the peak cooling summer months preparing for a long trip and/or a long “gotta fix this”…

I have 50 amp service at home,  based on the KWH a rate in the $0.13 - 0.15 range, I have not seen a marked increase for a week to 10 days stint in a heating or cooling month.  I agree with Richard.  In MOST cases, I would expect his $125 to be max.  BUT…you have to know if the service was a separate account to add in all the overhead and service $$.  On a piggy back scenario like mine, I would expect no more than $20 per week during max use….and I have a totally electric home with 3200 SF and heated by HP’s (now the smaller one is NG) and electric stove, hot water and 3/4 HP well pump.

Without some detailed sampling where you record the hours of HP use as well as AH electric….and then randomly sample daily for a month and then do a spread sheet…I’ll stick with that….and I think it would correlate…

So for comparison, we full time RV right now while working on other projects.

I don’t have a watt meter, but you’ll get the gist 

Our main living is a 43’ 5ver. We run the 2 electric fireplaces at night abs a small electric heater in it. Electric on the water heater and Res fridge. Don’t touch the propane for heating, just cooking. Have Starlink on 24/7. Some battery chargers and gate controllers, odd and ends.

The dip is winterized, but has a small electric heater to take the edge off. Use it as a man cave/office so computer workstations are in it. 

Another trailer is winterized and has a small heater as well. 

Dec power bill was $345