Sold my boat, Bought an RV. Now what?

After 20 years of being a mariner on our twin diesel engine Tollycraft cabin cruiser we sold it right after the COVID crisis ended and the border opened up.  Decided to cruise across America full time, first year in our fifth wheel and now in our coach in signature. Buying an older coach is not for the faint at heart. Having owned a boat for over 20 years I was well versed with repairs, diesel issues and upgrades required due to age. Owning the coach is about the same except I get to work on it without having tools fall overboard and lost forever. Fuel mileage is far better then the .92 - 2.15mpg the boat got too.  After 3 trips up the Inside Passage to Ketchikan I look forward to seeing more of the East coast, Southeast and Southwest "ports". Based on what I've read of your travels I would continue learning and completing a baseline of all the major systems, especially new belts for your water pump and alternator. Keep a detailed log of all repairs, part numbers and costs. We spend very little time in campgrounds except for a few we have come to love. One being the Grand Ole RV park north of Nashville in Goodlettsville, TN. Prefer to boondock on TX beaches, BLM land in NM and AZ deserts and COE campgrounds. All in all we love the full timing in our coach far more then in a boat. As I used to say, "10 hours of work for 1 hour of pleasure owning a boat". Our coach seems like the opposite.

Edited by Joint Venture

As an EX mariner, who retired at 40 or so and he and his wife cruised the islands for about 10 years....and fought off pirates and got towed a time or two and broke rudder cables and GOD only knows what else.

He said that RVin' and Boatin' was a great life....it gave you the opportunity to effect repairs using every mental ounce of energy and creativity....but you were given that opportunity in exotic climes and not in your neighborhood.

I boated for 20 odd years, only not serious...just pleasure and water skiing...and had to be towed a time or two and rebuilt my little Merc 4 banger when the pump went bad.

• Like 1

I like your fuel economy with your boat my 1965 chris craft got about 20 gallons an hour each engine, at seven knots,  that was my sweet spot. Twin engine Oldsmobile 503’s. Now my Monaco monarch is getting about 10 miles per gallon. I’m happy with that.

IMG_0093.jpeg

IMG_0092.jpeg

IMG_0091.jpeg

• Like 1