How do I burp my radiator?

Go to solution Solved by Georgia Mike,

I have a 2002 Monaco Knight with an ISC 315 engine.  I recently had to replace the radiator fill tank so I drained all the radiator fluid out (at least as much as would come out the petcock).  I replaced the fill tank and refilled the cooling system.  I watched a video on youtube which recommended getting the air out of the cooling system but I am a loss as to the best place to let it out or if it is even needed on my system.

From what I hear you saying is that there is no need to manually let air out of the radiator system.  The air will naturally work its way up to the radiator fill (surge) tank and all I have to do is monitor the level in that tank.  This is what I would expect to do on a car also but in a car the radiator cap is at the top of the radiator.  On my RV there is no top opening on the main radiator.

I have already run the RV on a short trip and gotten the engine up to operating temperature with the heater running so I should be good to go.  I have a couple hundred mile trip next week so I will continue to monitor it during that trip.

Right. I don't believe any or not many of us have a cap on the radiator. Many modern cars don't either. In fact my engine block extends way above the radiator so it would be nothing but trouble. When you had the system drained, it was a good time to test coolant level sensor for its function and that way you would know to just keep an eye on it while on the initial trip. You'll be fine.

• Solution

When i changed the hoses and coolant last year i used this refilling system and it worked great. It creates a vacuum and just sucks all the coolant back in no air gaps. i have used it on my sons car also. It sucked in about 8 gallons in 5 min. it also lets you know if you have a leak.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BW39HJS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1