Inverter Bay Fan Fuse 08 Endeavor

63Hotrod

2 hours ago, 63Hotrod said:

I have a small, enclosed fan at the rear of the last bay on the passenger side triggered by a snap disk close to the inverter.

No power to the snap disk  Can not locate where the fuse is 

Add on by a previous owner, or is it a very small bay?

I have no extra fans other than the inverter internal fans.

My understanding is there should be power to the snap disk and to test the fan you can bridge across the disk. But there is no voltage to either side of the disk. So if I could find the fuse that may be the issue.

I assume the disk works when the bay reaches a certain high temp

That is there to cool the Magnum Inverter/Converter.. Are you sure you had a good ground for your meter? In any case, a quick jumper across the snap disc would eliminate that issue.

Since I have an 08 Endeavor and have changed that fan and disc I will see if I can locate the fuse. It could be in the black box inside the battery compartment but am just guessing right now. There are some fuses inside that back compartment as well. 

59 minutes ago, myrontruex said:

That is there to cool the Magnum Inverter/Converter.. Are you sure you had a good ground for your meter? In any case, a quick jumper across the snap disc would eliminate that issue.

Since I have an 08 Endeavor and have changed that fan and disc I will see if I can locate the fuse. It could be in the black box inside the battery compartment but am just guessing right now. There are some fuses inside that back compartment as well. 

After looking at mine, but not verifying it for sure at this time. Dig around the Magnum inverter wiring and see if there is a plug looking device. Hidden inside the one that I just looked at is a 10 amp fuse. It is a bit chilly outside so I did not short across the snap disc and then pull the fuse. When it warms up I will try to do that, and then document it in my files for future reference.

The snap disc wiring goes into some split wrap that could easily be removed for chasing the wire.

Just verified the fuse next to the Inveter,  (hanging out of a loom and covered by a rubber thingy), 10 amp fuse, wire has a yellow tag with the number 10 on it.

Please be advises that "rubber thingy" is a highly technical term and sorry if I am talking over anyones head. Perhaps, water resistant fuse holder. I dunno what the heck to call it. Guess after nearly 60 years the memory banks are a bit overflowing.

24 minutes ago, myrontruex said:

Just verified the fuse next to the Inveter,  (hanging out of a loom and covered by a rubber thingy), 10 amp fuse, wire has a yellow tag with the number 10 on it.

Please be advises that "rubber thingy" is a highly technical term and sorry if I am talking over anyones head. Perhaps, water resistant fuse holder. I dunno what the heck to call it. Guess after nearly 60 years the memory banks are a bit overflowing.

Replace the rubber hangie thingie with a real inline  large or small BLADE fuse holder.  Amazon has them cheap and 10 A is child’s play.  These inline glass fuse holders are notorious for problems.  Assuming that is the problem….I only had one on my MH and it was a fiasco…..

I located the fuse a large blade type. But there are two wires neither of which is connected. One goes to the fuse but I need to trace the other. Also need to check the fan once iut warms up later this week

Any idea where the hot lead was connected

Any idea on the temp range of the snap disk

I was not able to find the diagram for mine.

Put a jumper across the snap disc to be sure you have not mis-read or been fooled by your meter. I really like test lights for these kinds of tests.

You may just have to pull some split wrap off and follow the wires.

I do not remember the temperature range when I changed mine but reduce the temp at which mine comes on. Living in Central Florida I need all the cooling I can get.

You could use a Fox and Hound to signal trace the wires but suspect you will be able to tug and pull some wires to physically trace them.

I have the complete harness located and loose it is not connected to anything. Put a fuse in , hooked up 12v and jumped across the snap disk and fan runs but bit loud 

The power wire has a good size ring terminal on it. So I think it may have at one time been wired to the house bank at one point  So I may go that way

We're in south Arkansas so hot summers   I am think of on at 105  ? Off 95 

My take and opinion.  Monaco was reactive…. They never thought through “stuff”.  I don’t know, and it doesn’t matter what brand Inverter you have.  Heavy or full or 100% charging current will heat up the FET’s in the inverter. Most have internal thermostats and Aux blowers.  Magnum has specialty circuits to monitor the temperature and cut back and flash a warning.  I never like to run my 14  YO Magnum at more than 80%.  But mine is at the end, hanging from the ceiling of a full bay.  I have not seen a lot of OEM inverters with fans.  I’d read my manual or call tech support and ask them their opinion.  The other thing I question, blowing heated air around really accomplishes little if the air is too hot and damaging the components.  Where does the fan get the fresh air ambient intake?  

I’d want to know when there would be a long time charging event.  For example, at 80%, my Magnum is “pushing” heavy duty amps for at least 90 minutes when the SOC is down to 50%.  Past that, the lower amp load puts less stress or the FET’s run cooler.  So, when you have a depleted bank and it is hot and you can pump current, then opening the bay for fresh air might be advisable….or at least partially.  Knowing what the manufacturer says as to ambient would influence my selection.  You may be right, I just like to understand and select the right range.

Good points I will give them a call

Now we have run this coach 6 years everywhere sans fan. Not sure how long it has been disconnected 

We did just replace the inverter but it was the original unit so gave many years of service 

There us a small louvered panel on the inverter end getting air from the space between bays  With this fan high on the other. Have not checked but I think it pulls air out   Couldn't hurt But I am not too keen on directly connecting it to the battery 

I will pass back what Magnum says

The air in those compartments can get incredibly hot and at least getting them to ambient is a good goal. You have the exact setup as on mine.

There is at least one fan inside the Magnum as I recall. I bought a lower temp snap disc just because we live in the direct sun on that side and the Magnum does work hard.

I just went outside for a refresher course and the intake for the cabinet is next to the Magnum. The fan blows the air out. That is, it sucks it past the inverter.

My fan is running right now with the outside temp at 80 and the Magnum is warm to the touch so contributing enough heat to turn the snap disc on.

As for noise, your fan is likely sick. Mine is very quiet and I virtually cannot hear it with the cabinet shut. Well, barely. 

My fan had died some years ago and I don't know how long it was dead but had to replace my Magnum somewhere near that time so suspect that contributed to its early demise. 

Electronics is what I do/did for a living. Vehicles of every kind possible, and some very unprobable. Heat is a killer.

The cabinet over the driver area is virtually an oven and killed many electronic devices until I manged to remove the dividing walls and install a bottom vent and two fans to circulate the air. You could bake muffins up there at one time. 

Hooking the fan up to the batteries is fine but do it in a place where your battery switch will disconnect it if you need to turn them off. 

Here's something I came across on facebook.  The guy had plumbed it into his coach with a snap disc to turn it off and on.  IMO, way too expensive to just cool an inverter area, but an interesting concept.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09TDXWC4Q/?coliid=IA9GN1W4F4IU7&colid=3KUASJ0BUDMPD&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it_im

Edited by windsorbill06

Myron thanks for checking this out. I can't see any wear on the terminal rings. So I think maybe it was never connected 

Going to check out the noisy fan and then wire it up with a lower temp snap disk

Thanks for the help

Bill interesting buy above my budget

2 hours ago, 63Hotrod said:

I spoke to Magnum and there advise was to keep it as cool as possible. Perhaps wiring it so the fan came on with the inverter

Yes, in essence, but you will suffer when you boondock.  The Norcold and Dometic refrigerators have a snap disk on the cooling fins.  The Norcold runs a bit cooler…maybe on at 125 and off at 115.  The Dometic is 120/130.  I swapped my Dometic to the Norcold and their tech support said…Yep, cooler, but that 5 DF will substantially eat into your house battery’s  dry camping capacity.   You will be fine when plugged in or on Genny., but a 25 watt fan will draw 2 amps.  That is 24 Amp hours per day or 5% of your 450 AH bank.  That means a 65 watt solar panel would be needed to offset….based on sun light and efficiency.  

My thoughts would have been….what FET Temp does the internal fan come on.  Then add 10 - 15 deg to that and that is the OFF.   Add 10 - 15 (these are highly inaccurate) for the ON….

Just my opinion….

• 9 months later...

Without a meter I'm guessing 0.250 amps. That is 1/4th of an amp. 

It would be easy to check. Put an ammeter across the snap disc when the fan is NOT running. The meter will pass enough current for the fan to run (or should), if you have it set up properly. 

I would not worry about the little current draw as long as I have some bit of charging such as solar. 

If it was running in storage all the time without a charging source it would be a problem.