Neptune Lost Headlights on Trip

Currently sitting in a Walmart parking lot after my headlights lights began to flicker then lost them completely.  This is a new to me coach and I just replaced the switch before the trip as I found it had no dash lights. We are on our way from PA to Orlando. 

I took the switch out of the dash and was jiggling while driving  trying to get to somewhere I could pull off (it was absolutely dark and I drove about 25 miles with marker lights using the car traffic for lighting.) Now I don't know if it's a short in a headlight or the new switch from Advance auto. I looked for breakers in the front wheel box but only fuses for marker and tails. Any thoughts on this? 

5 minutes ago, ktloah said:

Year and make, model.of coach?

It's in my signature, but I'll definitely write it from now on.

2006 Neptune 36PDQ

I have a 2022 Ram Toad but the lights are working on it just no headlights.  I did have the sensation of something clicking in the switch while I was holding it trying to get something to happen. And I can't believe I left my spiral bound owners manual on my TV table!

And it was raining and misty from truck traffic.

No high or low? They should be on different breakers unless they have just fuses but that should not cause a flicker. If neither works and no diagram available, I would suspect the switch since it is the last part you replaced. A voltmeter would be useful to test it out for voltage and short. Hopefully no smart wheel involved. Maybe someone here has the charts for you.

13 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

No high or low? They should be on different breakers unless they have just fuses but that should not cause a flicker. If neither works and no diagram available, I would suspect the switch since it is the last part you replaced. A voltmeter would be useful to test it out for voltage and short. Hopefully no smart wheel involved. Maybe someone here has the charts for you.

Correct. No high or low.  I have nothing.  I hope I can get to Florida in the daylight then I can troubleshoot I guess. I'll jump around and see if I can get them to fire up,  that would point to the switch itself. Otherwise I'm in for some wire chasing. 

If you're feeling a clicking in the switch, current overloading is a possibility and you're feeling the thermal in the switch opening and closing. Are they high-wattage bulbs or did you just put in higher-wattage bulbs? If so, install a relay to offload the current in the switch. There's a recent thread on this problem and solution.

No special bulbs that I'm aware of. Especially as poor of light they emit. I jumped around the switch for now so I'll have to watch the jumper wire. 

The headlight output on my 2000 Diplomat was really lousy so I put in 55w bulbs and this is how i found the much higher current (heat) the switch had to handle. The stem of the switch got very hot to the touch so I offloaded switch with a relay. Problem fixed. Feel the stem to see if this might be the problem.

15 hours ago, Chuck B 2004 Windsor said:

You might want to keep in your mind that most all parts that come from stores like Auto Zone and Advance Auto are factory seconds.  That is why I only use parts from NAPA stores.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

I've never heard that before.  

My temporary fix worked the rest of the 800 miles yesterday. Wire never felt hot with the lights hard wired on for 14 hours so it must be the replacement switch was bad out of the box. 

Thanks all. Got a new better quality "premium" switch today at Advance because there was one nearby.  Completely different quality,  so I hope that's it.