Repainting the top and rear cap!!!

Living in southern CA and - while enjoying all the beautiful sunshine - my '06 Sig has suffered the typical paint deterioration and now needs a repaint to top and part of its rear cap. Obviously NOT an inexpensive endeavor, it's just about that time.

While there are numerous options in the LA, and even some in the San Diego areas (Mexico has also been considered as an option. But, NOT interested in driving this coach down there!!), I was thinking about the operation left over from the Monaco employees in OR.

So the specific question: Seeking opinions of those who have gone through the expense of this type of a repaint on their coaches, would it be worth the drive (and fuel cost) to Colburn (spelling), OR? Or am I better off finding something closer to home?

Suggestion?

Thanks.

5 minutes ago, Michael J said:

I can almost guarantee you will be able to find a reputable paint shop in SoCal to have it done and save you from going to Oregon certainly Phoenix area opposed to Oregon 

Specific suggestions from personal knowledge?

It can be a do it yourself project if you are really patient and have a few basic tools. Not cheap in any case as the paint and clear coat is like gold. 

I am currently painting the front cap/top of my 08 Endeavor for the second time. This Central Florida sun is murder. The clear coat blistered once again.

My color is a very dark brown so the heat on that area can be hot enough to fry eggs. I found a company that has the paint codes and can even send it in rattle cans. I have done the rear access doors with the rattle can process and it came out fine after one small mess up, but sandpaper is your friend.

The front cap will take me probably 40 hours of messing about by the time I go back and forth. I would imagine a pro could spend three days easily with their professional equipment.

Having a decent scaffold is really important. I would never try this part with just a ladder. 

• Like 1

Lanny

I saw  your IRV2 post as well.  OneExtreme, as mentioned above, is really good and not too far from you.  I helped a friend take his coach and also helped him pick it up from that place, so I saw before and after.  His final product (front and rear caps and minor touch up all around)  was outstanding, but not cheap.   It took forever to get an appointment, however.  They had his coach a long time, 4 or 5  weeks, as I recall, so be sure you know that going in.      

As others have stated, I'm sure very good body shops can be found in your local area. If you decide to make the trip to Oregon, I highly recommend https://www.mackinstreetcustoms.com/ Both a buddy of mine and myself have used him with great results. Rick used to work in the body shop at Monaco. My buddies Diplomat is in the portfolio on the website. It's the green and gold one getting repaired after removing an old moldy 3M shield in front.

I used white top side marine fiberglass primer and then paint on my last coach if it’s not yet coming over the top and coming down the front. Wet sand it real well then used the primer and paint per instructions using a roller. Stands up great!

6053E939-1286-4A5C-981B-4A1288E136BC.png

3DCDE38F-566F-4E99-9C49-6BE365EE2CBE.png

45BE7102-BBF0-4539-ADD6-994EED9C9310.png

Edited by tmw188

On 4/12/2023 at 6:53 PM, windsorbill06 said:

Lanny

I saw  your IRV2 post as well.  OneExtreme, as mentioned above, is really good and not too far from you.  I helped a friend take his coach and also helped him pick it up from that place, so I saw before and after.  His final product (front and rear caps and minor touch up all around)  was outstanding, but not cheap.   It took forever to get an appointment, however.  They had his coach a long time, 4 or 5  weeks, as I recall, so be sure you know that going in.      

windsorbill06

If memory serve me well, you and I met six'ish years ago in Quartzite at one of the Monaco meetups!!

Please provide the name and or website of the place you refer to in the above posting?

Thanks

2 hours ago, rvingstuff said:

windsorbill06

If memory serve me well, you and I met six'ish years ago in Quartzite at one of the Monaco meetups!!

Please provide the name and or website of the place you refer to in the above posting?

Thanks

Yep,  can't believe it was 6 years ago, but you're about right.

Their website is   http://onextreme.com/

Edited by windsorbill06