Slide Problem, Hydraulic Leak

Go to solution Solved by Ivan K,

On my 2006 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV, today I noticed a significant hydraulic leak in front of the rear duals.   I suspected a slide problem so I extended all of the slides and the leak increased.  It seems to be leaking from a cylinder about 18 to 20 inches long, mounted on the frame in front of the duals.  There appears to be a piston extending from the cylinder about 2 1/2 to 3 inches and that was covered in hydraulic fluid and may be the source of the leak.  When I retracted the slides, all retracted normally except the passenger side bedroom slide which I assume is hydraulic since it is very fast.  The slide only retracted on one side, that being the front toward the front of the coach.  Does anyone know if this cylinder can be sourced generically and where.  Also, where is the hydraulic slide pump since i need to get the un-retracted portion in.  One last thing, should I get the rear passenger side slide fully retracted, is the coach safe to drive.  Thanks John Harris

• Solution

The short cylinder is to equalize pressures and synchronize that longer rams. If you have the option to remain stationary and have the cylinder locally rebuild, I would do that. I had mine rebuilt for just around $100, same day turnaround. That would remove all the workarounds. I have traveled with a leaky cylinder and it can be done but do you really have to?

Thanks Ivan K, my brother just informed me that he thinks it is an HWH Sync Cylinder.  Do you know where the slide pump and manifold is located.  I did not investigate while at my coach but checking tomorrow and it seems that I would need to get both sides of the slide in the same position if I am able to have the cylinder rebuilt.  Thanks for your prompt response since I have many travels planned.

Ivan K, I see you are in Texas.  I'm in the Houston Area.  Maybe your rebuilder has a Houston location.

My HWH pump system is behind the entry steps. If you figure which solenoids are for that slide, you can open them and push the slide in OR hold the button for a bit and have someone push. If you have slide locks, great, if not, block them from the inside. But it does not matter where the slide is just to remove the sync cylinder for repair.

Need to make sure where the leak is… could be as simple as a loose fitting. ATF oil is fairly cheap and it’s actually good to not stop trying to move the hydraulic slide after it stops moving. Try moving the slide out for several seconds, even though it’s already out… check for location of the leak at the same time. Then try moving the slide in, even pushing on the side that doesn’t want to move. Again keep trying to retract after it stops moving.

Every 1 in 10 times it’s good to keep the switch on after the hydraulic slide stops moving 

Edited by Ivylog

26 minutes ago, John Harris said:

Thanks Ivan K, my brother just informed me that he thinks it is an HWH Sync Cylinder.  Do you know where the slide pump and manifold is located.  I did not investigate while at my coach but checking tomorrow and it seems that I would need to get both sides of the slide in the same position if I am able to have the cylinder rebuilt.  Thanks for your prompt response since I have many travels planned.

Ivan K, I see you are in Texas.  I'm in the Houston Area.  Maybe your rebuilder has a Houston location.

On your Dynasty, the second entry step tilts up for access to a storage bin.  Unscrew this plastic bin and lift it out.  You will then have full access to the hydraulic pump and valves.

Sorry, missed the question earlier, the shop I've been using for many years now s a little outfit called Able Auto & Truck Parts in Plano, TX, not far from me but I doubt they have other locations.

Maybe if you call, he might have a cousin or two in the business close to you. 

Edited by Ivan K

The pressure diminished with the leak, so no, I had no pressure and I also had all 3 cylinders rebuilt over time.

There is one more thing, at least in my case. The valves are operated by house batteries while the pump runs off the chassis. Turning chassis off and operating just the valves would relieve any pressure if there was one.

Edited by Ivan K

34 minutes ago, John Harris said:

Thanks Dennis, I'll look it up and Thanks Ivan K

Dennis or Ivan K, was there pressure on the Sync Cylinder connections when you disconnected the?

There was some pressure in my system, but not much.  

We were camping when I noticed hydraulic fluid on top of a plastic bin in the storage compartment under the rear ram. I figured something was amiss and sure enough, when we retracted the slide, the front ram and rear ram did not move at the same rate and the slide started to come in cockeyed. I managed to get it in straight by pushing on the outside rear while retracting. By the time I got to work on it, the system had lost a lot of fluid so there was very little pressure left.

Here's a link to the iRV2 thread. Lots of good info relating to the hydraulic slide here.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/2000-monaco-dynasty-slide-room-cylinder-rebuild-and-hose-replacement-547651.html