WARNING Amigo Truck Repair in Petersburg Va. Stoned mechanics,

If you find yourself in need of Rv repair, stay away from Amigos in Va We were on our way back from Fl. Started to lose speed power . We were going to limp home being only 3 hr out from Richmond Va . But then our Stop engine light came on . Amigos was the nearest. We call and they said come on in, sounds like a fuel filter clog.  Well  4 days later and $2889.00 Later we went to no pick up the RV. Now of course we went over the bill and asked why this was so high for oil filter in oil change and fluid change. They charged us for 10 hours work at 150 an hour they charged us two hours for the day We brought it in even though we sat there for four hours and they didn’t do anything to it and he finally did get a filter. It was the wrong one, so we had to leave and come back .  adding insult to injury having our keys amigo only takes cash. Of course they did not tell us that before hand we get there three hours travel time to find out we need cash at 4:30 in the afternoon when the banks are closing we had to run all over the place to finally get the cash before the banks are close , they don’t take credit cards but again did not let us know that. Of course you know why because we could’ve canceled the credit card they charged us $32 a can of oil  at 10 cans $320 when I told them that the two hours they are charging us for the day when we came in they did not do any work , he just sat there and said well we went and got an oil filter. I told him they went and got the wrong one. He said well we had to go back . Really. not only that when we were sitting there waiting for our RV the guys the mechanics are out there smoking weed or they call it  vaping now. I am not making this up. They were stoned maybe that’s why it took them 10 hours to work on our RV. Again they held our RV at ransom until we paid the $2889 stay away people stay away.   TJ

• Sad 2

Sounds like the fool we ran into in Indiana. Calls himself a mechanic but had never seen a diesel pusher motorhome before. And tried to charge me a Grand to change my Alternator. And I bought the parts. What he did was see the Motorhome and he saw Dollar signs. Unfortunately there are some Shady people out there. But remember that Karma will work wonders on them. I  feel your pain. I  am a mechanic but I am in a wheelchair and can't do everything I use to do. 

• Like 2

vaping isn't likely pot...closer analogy is the new cigarette.

Could be pot...

Can't believe how much vaping has taken over in high schools.  A crime that the government should have jumped in when it was in it's infancy when the addiction could have been managed.  Out of control now (like cigarettes were).

• Like 1

People should give some thought to having their RV towed to a safe place and then call a mobile mechanic or a known shop  rather than throwing yourself at the mercy of a questionable or unknown shop. You can negotiate a reasonable tow charge if you are not stranded on the highway or blocking traffic.  Once you pull onto a shops property and give them the keys you have granted them nearly complete control of your rig due to the power vested in them thru mechanic lien laws. They don't care if you threaten to sue them. The courts don't care if you feel that you were overcharged or cheated as they are not in the business of setting rates or debating  the finer points of the mechanics skills or lack thereof. In the case of a dispute the only certain way you can regain possession of your rig is to pay the bill and argue about it later. Paying a lawyer,,, no guarantee and you'll think the mechanic's bill wasn't as bad as you thought 

Edited by Gary Cole
  • Like 1

Why am I reminded of that sign over the Haunted Mansion at Disney World,  "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here" ? 

I shudder at the prospect of dealing with repair shops in general and have to force myself to darken their doorways.  

Fortunately, I have a friend who runs a trucking company who will work on anything chassis related.  And I try to handle the house as much as I can myself.  

I wish that Monacoers or another site would maintain some sort of review site, by state, of shops... 

In the meantime, @Terryjean, please post a review on Google maps.

• Like 1

I didn't know you could review on Google maps.  I will look into that.  The last time I had a tow it was $1000.00 for 2 miles. But yes maybe going to the nearest rest stop and then looking for a mobil.  I haven't had to much problems with mobile mec. they may be costly but I find most are fair.  Lesseon learned.

TJ

• Like 1

There are 2 review wb sites for RV's. Both are horrible . One site shows reviews from 10 years ago. Neither distinguish between pull trailers and DP's. Truck Down is for 18 wheelers but some will work on DP chassis. There is an extreme shortage  of HD technicians so shops are very busy. Many either do not have space for a DP or they do not work on any RV. Mobile RV techs are usually very good on things like slide outs,12 volt electrical and even gensets. Truck Down lists mobile HD mechanics. When I was driving long haul I had good experiences : ABS sensor, air valves, alternator,starter motor,ride hight valves. Some even have a good selection of common parts. Stay away from Freightliner,TA and any truck dealer. Unfortunately  in some areas they may be your only choice.

• 1 month later...
On 5/17/2023 at 7:33 PM, Steve P said:

Go to Google maps either the app or in the web.   Look up the business.  Click on it.  Click on reviews.  Write a review.  Nothing to it. 

You can also put a review on Yelp. Just look up the city, then the business. There is a section for reviews. I have left reviews and the proprietor responded so I know the reviews get read. 

Google and Yelp are your best friends, when it comes to reviews. Several months ago, we took our International Harvester tractor to the dealership for some service to extract two broken bolts in an easily accessible area by our PTO. They kept the tractor for three and a half weeks, and we were charged for 20 hours of labor @ $235/hr. Needless to say, we weren't going to pay that insane amount of money for two broken bolts. The only reason I took it to them was because I didn't have the extractor to do it myself....in hindsight, I should have just drilled and tapped new threads. After Brooke posted a scathing Google review, blasting the female service advisor (Jolene), who was extremely condescending, the owner of the shop called me and asked if we could work something out. After finding out that the 20 year-old kid who was put on the job had only been working there for a few weeks, I told the owner that $500 was what I was expecting to pay. He agreed and asked me if Brooke would kindly delete the Google review. She agreed in good faith, and I went down to the shop and picked up our tractor.