12v elec gremlin HELP

2003 Monaco Dynasty.

We are on shore power

woke up to see inverter charging issue (not charging).  Went to RRB to see amp l start not showing any batteries hooked up (house & chassis blinking red).

turned off chassis battery disconnect to test some things

** when I turn batt disconnect switch back on, the horn starts blowing)**. WTH??

both solenoids in RRB have power on both sides (even when chassis batt is off).  That seems wrong but that’s not causing horn to blow…

any ideas on what to test next?

The two solenoids in the rear run bay I think you are referring to are the DC Disconnect (i.e., Salesman's Switch) relays.  As long as you have not flipped the DC Disconnect switch located near the passenger armrest, they should be energized.  It appears that you have added the Amp-L-Start, since that year you coach would have come with the Lambert Module to charge the Chassis Batteries from shore power (the Inverter/Charger).  I'm not sure where it is wired.  

First, do you have 12 volts at the House Batteries?  The inverter will not work if you don't have over 11.5 volts.  You really need to start at the batteries, and follow the circuit to the Inverter with voltage measurements.

-Rick N.

Colorado Springs, CO

1 hour ago, waterskier_1 said:

The two solenoids in the rear run bay I think you are referring to are the DC Disconnect (i.e., Salesman's Switch) relays.  As long as you have not flipped the DC Disconnect switch located near the passenger armrest, they should be energized.  It appears that you have added the Amp-L-Start, since that year you coach would have come with the Lambert Module to charge the Chassis Batteries from shore power (the Inverter/Charger).  I'm not sure where it is wired.  

First, do you have 12 volts at the House Batteries?  The inverter will not work if you don't have over 11.5 volts.  You really need to start at the batteries, and follow the circuit to the Inverter with voltage measurements.

-Rick N.

Colorado Springs, CO

UPDATE:

12v+  is present at both sets of batteries

FINDING:

1. BOTH batt disconnects need to be replaced!!  Power still transfers when turned off.

2. I think this had something to do with VIP system… when wiggled the wire connections, things went to normal (now getting a quote from VIP for new SM210 board).

3. The AMP L START had both house & chassis red lights on/blinking & solar panel showed 14+ volts on both banks…. Tester showed that to be false & reset inverter possibly corrected that.  RG7 panel shows batt 100% & charge light is now blinking…

Everything has returned to normal so I’m done for now.

Kurt

3 hours ago, MHRookie said:

UPDATE:

12v+  is present at both sets of batteries

FINDING:

1. BOTH batt disconnects need to be replaced!!  Power still transfers when turned off.

2. I think this had something to do with VIP system… when wiggled the wire connections, things went to normal (now getting a quote from VIP for new SM210 board).

3. The AMP L START had both house & chassis red lights on/blinking & solar panel showed 14+ volts on both banks…. Tester showed that to be false & reset inverter possibly corrected that.  RG7 panel shows batt 100% & charge light is now blinking…

Everything has returned to normal so I’m done for now.

Kurt

The disconnects are a known problem. The Blue Sea Battery Switch seems to be a popular replacement.  The VIP system - are you referring to the VIP Smart Wheel?  It seems odd that this problem has anything to do with the battery switches.

Glad you got it sorted.

-Rick N.

4 hours ago, waterskier_1 said:

The disconnects are a known problem. The Blue Sea Battery Switch seems to be a popular replacement.  The VIP system - are you referring to the VIP Smart Wheel?  It seems odd that this problem has anything to do with the battery switches.

Glad you got it sorted.

-Rick N.

Rick,

I’m not 100% sure the VIP smartwheel caused this.  When I turned the chassis batt disconnect back on, VIP horn & wipers turned on.  Wiggling the wires stopped that thank goodness cuz the campground was a little PO’d.

Until I encounter this again, not 100% sure of the cause.

Thanks for comments,

Kurt

Low voltage will cause all kinds of mysterious ailments.

Fixing the obvious such as bad battery paths/switches cleared up the issues. 

Think of a PC when the house power goes dim and you get/got the blue screen of death. Computers do not like low voltage either.