High Inner Drive Tire Temp

Mocephus
Go to solution Solved by Mocephus,

19 hours ago, Jdw12345 said:

Sorry, I should have made it more clear, yes, sun side was warmer.

Rules of thumb.  Sunny side on a hot day….warmer.  Always.  Road surface makes a difference.  Black (asphalt) always warmer….than white concrete….inner tires are always warmer.  As in the same pressure in both, set cold, will result in a 3 PSI difference or higher.  That has to be taken with some common sense…if the sun is beaming down on the outside tire, then the inner, because it is hotter, might not be the same PSI.  Bottom line.  Temps are good, but pressure is better or safer.

When you first start out on a trip and the sun or the roadway is not heated up and all four tires on the rear are set the same…..driving during the day, the inners will gain 3 PSI.  NOW, that is not a hard and fast rule, as the outers on the sunny side will be hotter.  

What, to a lot of us, is more meaningful…and if you don’t have a TPMS, then you can still calculate it.  Record the morning temperature and the “cold” pressures of each tire.  DRIVE.  NOW…after several hours….STOP.  Record the individual tire pressures….as well as your “laser gun temps….being consistent on measuring each tire in the same place.

Scroll back up. There is a link to a “temperature” calculator.  Input the morning pressure and temperature, each tire, THEN, the actual “inside” the tire temperature will be close….very close.  The laser measures the exterior.  What is critical is the interior.  If it is in the 150 - 160….don’t be alarmed.  But the hotter it was right at daybreak before the sun hit a tire and the pressure then, drives the calculated inner temperature…compare and then you will know.

57 minutes ago, jimc99999 said:

My drive axle inner and outer usually run within a couple psi on the highway. On secondary roads in higher temps (e.g. the southeast summer) the inner tires trash 5-10 psi higher than the outers. I’m not sure whether it’s related to different loading with more turns, braking, road crowns, but it’s pretty consistent. 

Tread temps are usually 140F+  according to my infrared temp gauge, but road surface temps are 130F+ in direct sun. 

Yes, I’ve noticed the same thing.