Replacement New Alternator Problems - 06 diplomat - Including follow (8-10-23) discussion

trstaska

On 8/13/2023 at 5:52 PM, vanwill52 said:

Sometimes I feel like I am a spokesperson for Blue Sea.  I don't mean to be.  It is just such a simple, yet elegant, solution for a long-standing problem.  And is applicable to sooo many cases of charging problems.  Just buy the damned thing, install it according to the instructions, and kiss all your alternator interchangeability problems goodbye.  The BIRD is an unnecessarily complex system that can be so easily replaced with the Blue Sea ML-ACR.

Hi Van,

I am also a fan of Blue Sea and got my start from you. Even through I don't own a Class A any more I converted the stupid IRD charger in my Class C built on A Ford E-450 to the Blue Sea ML-ACR.

Here is the stuff I took out:

image.thumb.jpeg.eb40d80ccebeff78b90cfcde7e106012.jpeg

Replaced with this:

image.thumb.jpeg.5030d5ea318467caf334bf7ff5743fc7.jpeg

We got excited about the new 3rd Gen Colorado and ordered one in December. Received it in April and now in the process of setting it up to tow. Since it is a new design no one has the baseplate out yet. We have one on order and they tell us it will ship on Sept 18. I have been doing what I can while waiting on the baseplate. The Colorado has an electric parking brake and electric steering and requires that the battery be disconnected before towing. I decided to use the Blue Sea ML-RBS for that. On this new truck there is almost no place to mount anything on the inside of the fenders or the firewall. I decided to mount the ML-RBS on top of the battery making it unpluggable So the the battery can be removed. Here is what it looks like:

image.thumb.jpeg.0ded5a9dadb7ca5998b3d1ca5d0936db.jpeg

Made a cover for it from black ABS plastic:

image.thumb.jpeg.15b1f7fa6f87eeed88896d673cfbeef1.jpeg

Bob

image.jpeg

Edited by Bob Nodine
  • Like 2

I am in the process of outfitting a Ford 250 Transit Van for my wife to use to go to dog shows and am installing a separate battery, inverter/charger, lights, vent fan etc.  I wanted to isolate the chassis and house batteries and decided the Bluesea MLACR was the best way to do it.  A little pricey but it's a one and done deal and I won't have to worry about it anymore. 

The hardest part will be to explain to my wife what the "new" toggle switch on the dash is for. 

2 hours ago, Bob Nodine said:

Hi Van,

I am also a fan of Blue Sea and got my start from you. Even through I don't own a Class A any more I converted the stupid IRD charger in my Class C built on A Ford E-450 to the Blue Sea ML-ACR.

Here is the stuff I took out:

image.thumb.jpeg.eb40d80ccebeff78b90cfcde7e106012.jpeg

Replaced with this:

image.thumb.jpeg.5030d5ea318467caf334bf7ff5743fc7.jpeg

We got excited about the new 3rd Gen Colorado and ordered one in December. Received it in April and now in the process of setting it up to tow. Since it is a new design no one has the baseplate out yet. We have one on order and they tell us it will ship on Sept 18. I have been doing what I can while waiting on the baseplate. The Colorado has an electric parking brake and electric steering and requires that the battery be disconnected before towing. I decided to use the Blue Sea ML-RBS for that. On this new truck there is almost no place to mount anything on the inside of the fenders or the firewall. I decided to mount the ML-RBS on top of the battery making it unpluggable So the the battery can be removed. Here is what it looks like:

image.thumb.jpeg.0ded5a9dadb7ca5998b3d1ca5d0936db.jpeg

Made a cover for it from black ABS plastic:

image.thumb.jpeg.15b1f7fa6f87eeed88896d673cfbeef1.jpeg

Bob

image.jpeg

Looks great, Bob, Like everything you do.