Bad Capacitor, Bad Fan Motor, or Both?

Go to solution Solved by Bill R,

3 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

No answer for you Bill, but I'm surprised that compressor will still start!

Me too!  My only guesstimation is that the compressor is old enough that the run capacitor has enough capacitance to overcome the starting torque.  Going to install the SPP6 hard start capacitor for $10.  Has been done quite a bit on IRV2.  Will report the results back here.

• Like 1

Well made a quick install of the SPP6 and it works as I expected.  You can really hear the compressor kick in when it starts now.  Before it was much quieter as it was only being started by the run capacitor. Which again surprises me that the run capacitor could start the compressor.   I liked it when it was a quieter start up, but everything I have read says that the start capacitor helps the longevity of the compressor.  I know soft starts are an option, but I am not there yet as to the cost.  

The SPP6 is an excellent add on device to help start a compressor. Compressors are PSC motors and are designed to operate with just a run capacitor. The starting of a compressor is the hardest thing it can do and causes the most wear and tear on the compressor windings. Older compressors can sometimes stall out on startup with just a run capacitor as bearings wear a bit. Low voltage or voltage fluctuations can also cause starting issues as well as trying to restart a compressor to soon, before the system pressure equalize. The SPP6 will solve the problem. There is no actual data regarding a hard start kit helping the longevity of a compressor. The SPP6 does start the compressor faster, however, a 500% increase in starting torque can also affect the compressor windings over time. Given the wear and tear on a compressor winding due to slow starting with a run capacitor or the wear and tear caused by a hard start kit, I would use the SPP6. All of my service techs carried them on their trucks.

• Thanks 1

So with the additional stress on the AC system due to starting is it better to leave the fan running and let the compressor turn on/off or let the thermostat do it's thing and start/stop both.

I am parked right now and the system is cycling about every 10 minutes, running for 5 minutes then off for 5 minutes.  I am only running 1 AC and it is easily keeping up in the AM but toward the evening will be +87F. 

Either way is fine. If they are cycling at that rate it must be pretty warm where you are.  Leaving the fan on won’t really affect the compressor cycling but will give you a little better temperature control because the air is still circulating consistently, the thermostat will control the area temperature a little closer to it’s setpoint. 

Guest Ray Davis
1 hour ago, jacwjames said:

is it better to leave the fan running and let the compressor turn on/off or let the thermostat do it's thing and start/stop both.

I'm pretty sure that on my A/Cs the fan comes on then a delay and the compressor starts.   I don't believe the fan and compressor start together.

24 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

I'm pretty sure that on my A/Cs the fan comes on then a delay and the compressor starts.   I don't believe the fan and compressor start together.

Yeah, in 'Auto' mode, the fan starts a split second before the compressor.

These are fairly new AC units I installed in late 2021.  Good or bad I decided to upgrade my 13.5K BTU units to the 15K BTU high capacity units.  I have been in ~90F weather, no shade, and have been able to get by with 1 AC unit.

So I timed 3 cycles of the ON/OFF of the AC. 

The system runs for ~3:45 and it off for ~4:15.   but the AC is running longer since the temp is rising. 

I am parking in my RV garage and the MicroAir easy touch thermostat shows the Outside (garage temp is 82F). 

So is it better to just let the fan run or let it cycle.  At night I usually leave it run as cycling on/off disturbs my sleep.   While in the front of the coach I'll run the rear AC and adjust come of the vents to force most air to front.  At night do just the opposite. 

27 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

These are fairly new AC units I installed in late 2021.  Good or bad I decided to upgrade my 13.5K BTU units to the 15K BTU high capacity units.  I have been in ~90F weather, no shade, and have been able to get by with 1 AC unit.

That's better than I can do, unless of course your happy with about 80F inside!

Where I park at home, my windshield faces the afternoon sun, and it seems most sites I'm in face afternoon sun!

If I were to do it again, I would shop for a coach with no black paint!

Guest Ray Davis

Sometimes when I leave the fan running and the compressor cuts off I get a dose of humid air.   I figured it was the air coming across the wet evaporator, anyway I don't like the clammy feeling so I almost always have my fan on.

2 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

That's better than I can do, unless of course your happy with about 80F inside!

Where I park at home, my windshield faces the afternoon sun, and it seems most sites I'm in face afternoon sun!

If I were to do it again, I would shop for a coach with no black paint!

Nope, thermostat set at 71. 

When I installed the new AC's I did a duct inspection with a camera and found major problems, 3 large mouse holes and one duct joint that had a ~1/2" gap.  Fixed and I have no doubt that make a big difference.

In early 2021 I used the Rustoleum Topside paint on the roof.  I believe that made a big difference.  I was parked up in northern Wis with temps in the low 80's a couple days and got by with running my Koolmatic exhaust fan and the coach was comfortable inside.  Didn't hurt that night time temps got into the 50's

Edited by jacwjames

2 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

I bought a roll of Suntex 80 from Home Depot.  I had to cut it to fit and install magnets (jury is out on that method) to fit it on the OUTSIDE of the windshield.  It cuts down on the rays getting into the coach by a good amount.  You'll need a ladder to put it up when you get to camp!

- bob

2 hours ago, cbr046 said:

I bought a roll of Suntex 80 from Home Depot.  I had to cut it to fit and install magnets (jury is out on that method) to fit it on the OUTSIDE of the windshield.  It cuts down on the rays getting into the coach by a good amount.  You'll need a ladder to put it up when you get to camp!

- bob

I have a Magnashade mounted outside my windshield.

• Like 1