What is this for?

Go to solution Solved by vito.a,

While undergoing repairs on the coach I hit this device pretty hard with the manifold when it let go.  It’s in terrible condition to start with.  What exactly is it for? Cummins Quickserve just specifically shows a “plug” being there. Monaco installed device? Temp sensor?
Anyone care to inform me what it’s purpose is and where I might find another?
Thanks. 

IMG_0870.jpeg

Did some more digging.  It’s the oil pressure sending unit. $152 for a new one.
Thanks anyways. 

Edited by BradHend

@rvtips Not long at all.  It looks that way due to soot from a nasty manifold leak. 

Thanks everyone for chiming in and getting me a part number.  Ordered from Summit Racing.  

• Like 1

Brad, I was going to chime I'm but a little late. My Neptune just lost the oil pressure gauge coming home last week. The VDO 360023 is in fact the right one as I just finished installing mine today that came from Summit Racing  earlier in the week. I took a chance it was the right one and it threaded right in. 

And I might add, this sender is only for the gauge and the Ecm has its own....the dash and engine do not communicate, same as the dual feed coolant temp sender on the top of the engine, it is gauge connected only. 

20230724_140133.jpg

Edited by Agpopp
  • Thanks 1

@Agpopp Thanks for the confirmation. Greatly appreciated.  
Puts my mind at ease as I was a little concerned I may have purchased the wrong wrong as there were different resistance values on that website.   

Forgot to mention how much I love to see new parts on the old stuff. My exhaust side of the engine is gonna look mint when I’m done.  New manifold, Reman Turbo, reman EGR valve, all new oil and coolant lines for the turbo and exhaust recycling plumbing, all new coolant lines to the radiator etc etc.  Oh and let’s not forget that puny little pipe with the little corrugated section that goes from the EGR valve to the EGR cooler that cost me $600 f’ing dollars.  Couldn’t find used, that was the cheapest I could find. Plus import fees. 🤬 🤑🤑

Edited by BradHend

On 7/24/2023 at 4:43 PM, BradHend said:

@Agpopp Thanks for the confirmation. Greatly appreciated.  
Puts my mind at ease as I was a little concerned I may have purchased the wrong wrong as there were different resistance values on that website.   

Forgot to mention how much I love to see new parts on the old stuff. My exhaust side of the engine is gonna look mint when I’m done.  New manifold, Reman Turbo, reman EGR valve, all new oil and coolant lines for the turbo and exhaust recycling plumbing, all new coolant lines to the radiator etc etc.  Oh and let’s not forget that puny little pipe with the little corrugated section that goes from the EGR valve to the EGR cooler that cost me $600 f’ing dollars.  Couldn’t find used, that was the cheapest I could find. Plus import fees. 🤬 🤑🤑

Heck, I'd have just deleted the EGR.  Your engine will run cooler and more efficiently, your oil will stay cleaner, and cylinder and ring wear will be reduced without that mess of a system.

@dl_racing427 I called around to several shops just for that, nobody would touch it.  The reason they claim was the year. I think they said 2007 and newer they could, but not on my ‘05.  
I looked fairly hard into this.  Would have been able to get a standard exhaust manifold as well.  

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, dl_racing427 said:

Heck, I'd have just deleted the EGR.  Your engine will run cooler and more efficiently, your oil will stay cleaner, and cylinder and ring wear will be reduced without that mess of a system.

I've researched it for mine and there is nothing available to perform the delete as far is can tell. The egr system on these engines was installed earlier than the pickup versions, and additionally,  these are specific ECMs that no one has tuned. These are rear gear; industrial/bus versions and no such parts are available. But, I hope I can be proven wrong. 

• Like 2

Hey Brad, look at the pic of my alternator above and have a look. I think I'm missing some wires? Did you take any of yours before you took things apart?  Seems there should be wires on those 3 posts. Seems to work fine but it got me thinking.  

@Agpopp Unless we are both missing wires there, I think it’s safe to say you’re good.  
You have spares floating around back there that should be landed somewhere or just making sure?
image.thumb.jpeg.09e6da127cb90145e3a985cc15c3385d.jpeg

Thanks.  No spares, but couldn't help but think there should be something on those terminals. Just glad it wasn't a PO changearoo that I wasn't aware of. 

Thanks!