Multi directional antenna

Has anyone come up wiith a multi directional tv antenna that will replace the original batwing without a lot of hastle to cover the hole that is left.I would like one that stays on the roof and is fairly low so no problems with low branches etc

I replaced our useless bat wing antenna several years ago with a King Omnipro multi-directional antenna. It works great and was a very easy project just using the same location and the same coax cable as the bat wing. install it and forget it. Although you still have to program your TV at every site to change setting to the available stations. Here is an amazon link:  https://www.amazon.com/KING-OA1001-OmniPro-Portable-Omnidirectional/dp/B01N6X5FRQ/ref=asc_df_B01N6X5FRQ?tag=bngsmtphsnus-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=79989588513695&hvnetw=s&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583589114760761&th=1

While the antenna works very well please note that you are still subject to location and line of site issues as would be the case with any OTA antenna. I do not find the difference in antenna height makes a difference.

I love my motorized batwing, if only I could get it to raise and rotate as it once did. It worked extremely well and still does, even though I have to get on the roof to raise it manually. I’ve had it apart several times and will continue to use it. 

I forget what name brand I used but it is a round flat antenna that you still turn from inside the coach like the old batwing.  It covered all the holes and works well, and you don't have to worry about leaving it up when you pull out of your campsite.  Its very common as stock equipment on newer RV's

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis

I've always heard & believed that the multi-directional ants are not very efficient, I wish they were. 

The batwing ant is still the best IMHO, but you gotta have the wingman on it.  The wingman would not work for me because it hit the air cond.  So I mounted a King Jack ant in place of the batwing, in other words,  I still use the arms that go up & down.  I still have to raise & turn it but it works pretty well.  I don't like having to turn it but the UHF digital signals are very directional,  especially in remote areas.

21 hours ago, Ray Davis said:

I've always heard & believed that the multi-directional ants are not very efficient, I wish they were. 

The batwing ant is still the best IMHO, but you gotta have the wingman on it.  The wingman would not work for me because it hit the air cond.  So I mounted a King Jack ant in place of the batwing, in other words,  I still use the arms that go up & down.  I still have to raise & turn it but it works pretty well.  I don't like having to turn it but the UHF digital signals are very directional,  especially in remote areas.

Agreed. A couple years ago we were in a SP on the Michigan lakeshore of Lake Michigan across from Milwaukee. I picked up several Green Bay stations with the batwing. That’s a distance of about 100 miles as the crow flies. Granted there are no obstructions, but I thought that was pretty amazing. 

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis
1 hour ago, Pduggs said:

That’s a distance of about 100 miles as the crow flies. Granted there are no obstructions, but I thought that was pretty amazing.

Pretty amazing,  maybe a record.  Wonder if my King Jack would do that?

• Scotty Hutto changed the title to Multi directional antenna

Yes. I made the error of not ordering it and the antenna base leaves some of the original screw holes exposed. Save yourself the time and headache if you are replacing a bat wing and order your new antenna and the base plate at the same time.

2 hours ago, Rich Cutler said:

For the King Omnipro, do you have to purchase the separate mounting plate to cover the hole from the Batman?