Door Latch Will Not Stay Locked

Hello all and thank you in advance for your knowledge and assistance.  

I am continuing to have problems with my entrance door coming unlatched while driving.  It has been a problem for a l8ng time.  I have changed the bottom striker and tightened up everything about the door.  It still comes unlatched.  Fyi. the deadbolt stops the door from opening; however, the steps sometimes comed out.....What can I do?  Where can I find new latches?  Can I disconnect the steps?

Thanks 

You can try etrailer.com they sell a global rv door latch. Or you might just try taking it apart to clean and lubricate it. Sometimes it the part that the latch goes into on the frame gets bent and the latch can’t seat properly. 

I did not defeat switch; however, the ateps will come out when door is opened regardless of rather the RV is running.  If there is a away to stop that from happening, that would help my situationm

4 hours ago, dkelly said:

I did not defeat switch; however, the ateps will come out when door is opened regardless of rather the RV is running.  If there is a away to stop that from happening, that would help my situationm

There is a “door or step” switch on the driver’ lower console….one on the left as you start to “climb in”.  One position….the steps stay OUT…as in parked at a CG regardless of the ignition or motor, presumed to be running.  If you change it, then every time you open the door, the steps cycle.  We, OUR CHOICE, don’t like that. Just a waste and more wear and tear on a motor and linkage assembly that is usually one of the MOST posted topics and most questions.  The Ignition switch when it turns on, ALWAYS retracts the steps.  So, if you turn on the ignition, they will always retract (assuming door is closed).  There are a set of contacts, I think, or maybe a proximity switch and a “plastic” disk.  Magnetically controlled….so the ignition will NOT retract the door with switch on.

We prefer the stop…shut off ignition, open door,  steps extend and then they stay open.  BUT, when the ignition switch is on, they retract.  You can open and close the door many times….and they never move….until the ignition switch.

NOW…as to unlock.  Assuming you have an electronic lock and key fob, if you have an electronic lock and while driving the door goes “clunk” and the latch unlatches.  OK…reread your post.  The door OPEN/CLOSE contacts or switch is bad.  As I said, on mine, I have two different circuits.  There are spring loaded contacts on the hinge side.  If they are corroded or such and breaking a circuit….issues.  Clean them.  There is also a white plastic disk on the striker side.  I don’t remember if the switch is in the door and the magnetic sensor 

• Like 1

I'm thinking you need to adjust the internals of the door. Sounds like you are only engaging the first stage of the latches. On the surface, it seems to be a difficult task to get right, but will only take a few hours.  There is a great write up here. 

Andrew might be onto something. We think that moving the sticker, in the door jam, inward would make the door close tighter. But, in reality it makes the latch catch on the sticker on the first position.  

Feel the two positions on the latches by closing the latches with your fingers, or screwdriver shaft, while the door is open. You will have two distinctive positions, two “clicks.” If the sticker is adjusted inward too far, you will only catch the first position. 

This could be your issue, as it was mine years ago. I loosened the sticker and moved it outward, and no more door popping loose. In my case it was only the bottom latch that would release as I was driving. 

I hope you issues is that simple.

8 hours ago, Happycarz said:

Andrew might be onto something. We think that moving the sticker, in the door jam, inward would make the door close tighter. But, in reality it makes the latch catch on the sticker on the first position.  

Feel the two positions on the latches by closing the latches with your fingers, or screwdriver shaft, while the door is open. You will have two distinctive positions, two “clicks.” If the sticker is adjusted inward too far, you will only catch the first position. 

This could be your issue, as it was mine years ago. I loosened the sticker and moved it outward, and no more door popping loose. In my case it was only the bottom latch that would release as I was driving. 

I hope you issues is that simple.

@dkelly

If you put DOOR into the upper right search box and then where it says everywhere, hover over it or click and then choose FILES, you will be searching the RESOURCE section or the FILES.  You can go into the files and look around, but I usually use the KEY WORD search.  BTW, this also works for TOPICS and you will find every post that had info about DOOR in it from way back when.  Here is the file that describes HOW to adjust.  Remember....the first step is to identify whether or no you have a BUSHING style or a NON BUSHING.  If you have the BUSHING...then you might need to replace it.  BUT, there is a link and also instructions on how to order a close fit and do just a smidge of "touchup".  Hope this helps

• Like 1

I adjusted my door following the directions and went to far and that caused the door to pop open while  I was driving. I backed off the nuts for the top and bottom latches and that fixed my problem. 

I had adjusted mine so far I only had to pull out on the handle a bit and the door would open. 

After I readjusted I have to pull the latch out about 1/2 the way open before  the door opens.

• 1 month later...

Google is your friend.  Googling your PN 13538-04.   DISCONTINUED…..TriMark RV Door Lock 22660-04 Black Paddle Handle 2 Keys Utility Vehicles Van

Put that in the Google search.  I PERSONALLY would call Trimark and VERIFY the new PN.  If correct….

https://babsrvmarine.com/product/trimark-rv-door-lock-22660-04-black-paddle-handle-2-keys-utility-vehicles-van/

There are MANY.  Caution….the Amazon parts use the Trimark, but are not, unless you verfy the vendor, REAL OEM Trimark parts.

Can’t remember, but I THINK I have ordered parts directly from Trimark.  Keep googling and buy from an OFFICIAL Trimark dealer or distributor..

56 minutes ago, thompson_skip said:

Thanks for your good advice. On TriMark web site they say that 13438-04 is no longer available. RV Parts Center.com say that TriMark 030-1400 is a replacement for the 13438-04 so I will call TriMark next week to see if that new number will fit my door. 

BabsRVMarine says different….as do several other sites…22660-04….  Trimark needs to sort it out.  Let us know who wins….no points for incorrect..  LOL!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2023 at 6:06 PM, thompson_skip said:

Thanks for your good advice. On TriMark web site they say that 13438-04 is no longer available. RV Parts Center.com say that TriMark 030-1400 is a replacement for the 13438-04 so I will call TriMark next week to see if that new number will fit my door. 

I’m in Wisconsin and when we head west I’m going to stop in New Hampton, Iowa and take to coach to TriMark and have them help me decide what I need to replace the door handle. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/24/2023 at 2:47 PM, thompson_skip said:

My entry door handle has broken. I tried to drill a hole and use a screwdriver to move the lever but I guess it’s so loose it doesn’t work. I am in need of a new outside door handle.TriMark 13438-04  Any suggestions on where I might be able to purchase the tri-Mark replacement handle thanks so much.

On 9/24/2023 at 2:47 PM, thompson_skip said:

My entry door handle has broken. I tried to drill a hole and use a screwdriver to move the lever but I guess it’s so loose it doesn’t work. I am in need of a new outside door handle.TriMark 13438-04  Any suggestions on where I might be able to purchase the tri-Mark replacement handle thanks so much.

On 10/6/2023 at 8:01 PM, thompson_skip said:

I’m in Wisconsin and when we head west I’m going to stop in New Hampton, Iowa and take to coach to TriMark and have them help me decide what I need to replace the door handle. 

We stopped at New Hampton, Ia at the TriMark factory and they were very helpful and had what I needed to repair my entry door handle. I first went to the HQ building and they sent me to Service & Replacement Parts. Phone number 800-431-8616. The person I talked with said she needed a photo of inside door mechanism. See attached . It turned out that my part number was 22665-02. Installed the new handle and we are back to not having to crawl in the window after my wife closes the door 😁. It was sure nice to find a Monaco supplier still in business. 

IMG_9380.jpeg

IMG_1140.jpeg