I have a leak on the PTO bottom fitting. It is leaking a lot. Makes me think it is a seal as it went from no very minor leak to a constant pour. 

What do I need to do to fix this? How much hydraulic fluid am I going to spill out of the system? Anything else I should know before I get into this and make a huge mess?

Top picture is of Pto and bottom hose with leak. 
Bottom picture is of the actual leak by the fitting. 

Thanks in advance to the most knowledgeable crew around. 

A85D782C-4099-4C21-9995-42EE70A82131.jpeg

4877BDCB-D233-41CF-8879-DF30D9226001.jpeg

The top picture is upside down, sorry. 

I had a leak there also.  I had to clean everything well.  I raised the air suspension up and placed jack stands under the rear crossmember.  Then started the engine and watched for the exact spot it was leaking.  Mine turned out to be the small rubber hoses going from the trans to the PTO had rubbed through.  I had new lines made up.

I also had a leak where the hydraulic pump bolts to the PTO.  I used a double gasket and The Right Stuff gasket sealer to seal it.  

Edited by vito.a
  • Like 1

I am 100% sure it is leaking from around that fitting as I wiped it all clean and then watched it as it started weeping again. 

If I have to take that fitting off what can I expect as far as fluid coming out?

Thank you 

I think I might try to tighten it up a bit, don’t get too aggressive with it, that washer just compresses a o-ring, use two wrenches , one to hold the elbow and one to tighten the nut, so I’d start with that and see what happens. I assumed it was hydraulic fluid based on the color, jmo. If you’ve never changed your hydraulic fluid now would be the time! Remove the hose, slowly, and see how much you lose, probably not that much. Just have a couple gallon bucket ready to use. Jmo.

Edited by Jdw12345

Update. 

Got under there with a wrench. The fitting was finger tight. I turned it about a half of a turn and it is snug. I suspect the o ring blew out of it but I am going to see if tightening it up worked. 

I will detail progress later this week. 

Thank you for the pic Bob. I am still leaking, although considerably less. What size is the gasket? Is it an o ring or a special gasket?

Thanks in advance. 

Jeff, you bring up a good point as I reread my post. 

Does the fitting need to be tight into the Pto box and then the nut also tight? How would you make the threaded fitting tight as I don’t know how it could move because of the stiff hydraulic hose attached to it?

Does the o ring or gasket seal the threads on the fitting?

The hose unscrews. Allowing you to unscrew theParkerc5oxchart.thumb.jpg.0ff3f339f8000a62a411db630af90d7e.jpg fitting.  That allows you to inspect the O-ring, and the 37 degree flare face, and the threads in the aluminum pump base.  The flare should not be marred.  The threads screwing into the pump are not tapered, the seal is the O-ring. have a bucket ready to catch the ATF.